Mega Drive. Yeah!

Ah, I love Granada and Atomic Runner too! Definitely would have assumed they were scalper trophies now so I'll have to set up a search for them on eBay. :)

Gleylancer and Dahna are a couple of others I've been after for years. I know the former was reprinted recently but I've never seen any affordable copies. The pricing of some games I would have thought were extremely common is often surprising, too - Golden Axe II (JP) goes for £70-80 (I let a £30 one slip through my hands recently!) and Alien Storm is similarly expensive, despite being on a Mega Games cart and everything. It's a good thing I have a soft spot for pariahs like ESWAT. :p

Final Zone looks decent, too - I like the relatively large, chunky sprites and the isometric view. Looks almost like a free-roaming Isolated Warrior. Definitely more impressive than the PC Engine Final Zone II!

You've hit the nail on the head with Final Zone - it's very much like a free roaming Isolated Warrior! 

There's a fair amount of flicker and slowdown in the game but nothing that stops it being damn good fun. 

Those other games may have gone up in price a bit. They've been in my collection for years but at the time they were definitely toward the more affordable end of the spectrum. I can't have paid more than £30 each. 

It's always a bummer when you miss out on a bargain. Years ago I passed up an almost mint copy of Sunset Riders for £25. Ended up spending £60 on a copy a few years later. 

My philosophy now is that I've never regretted spending money on a good game. So if I know it's good and the price is the going rate I'll usually pay up - even if its quite expensive. 

@Klatrymadon The recent-ish Columbus Circle reprint of Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer is supposed to be really poor quality, by the way. The PCB is basically an AliExpress Repro you really don't want inserting & reinserting into your cart slot so I wouldn't lament missing out on that one.

Columbus Circle also recently released the previously lost MD version of X68000 / PCE-CD single plane brawler Mad Stalker. Hopefully it's a decent manufacturing job this time.

I love Atomic Runner Chelnov too. Such a unique and brilliantly made game, and far superior to the original coin-op. I was lucky with that one, snagging my copy for £7 about a decade ago.

Good to know about the Gleylancer repro, spanky - cheers! Yeah, I'm hoping the Mad Stalker release turns out better, because that could be something special - the PCE game is great. 

Edit: boring maintenance question, but what's the best/most tidy way to stick down peeling cart labels for good? Whenever I buy the more rounded JP carts secondhand, the labels are usually starting to come away at the top.

Edit: boring hardware question, but what's a reasonable price to pay for a Japanese Model 1 MD at the moment? I'm thinking about it purely because of the sound issues in Hellfire with Model 2s, so it's not super important, but I'd love to get one if they're not too expensive.

26 minutes ago, Droo said:

Both pish. 

they’re no super hang on and James pond 2

Funnily enough, I recently played through Robocod and really enjoyed it! 

I decided to do a run through loads of mascot platformers as they were so big at the time but are a bit unsung now. Robocod was the first one but I also played through Sonics 1 and 2, Castle of Illusion, Quackshot, Decap Attack, Dynamite Headdy* and Rocket Knight Adventures. 

*Disclaimer. I couldn't beat the final boss on Dynamite Headdy. 

4 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Please enjoy Hitoshi Sakimoto's excellent soundtrack for Devilish.

(Especially 'Clock Tower'!)

Yeah, great score & sound (as they all were on the MD and elsewhere).

There's something really unique about one of the tracks on Bad Omen / Devilish - at least something I've yet to come across in any other Mega Drive soundtrack - concerning "Time's Running Out".

It doesn't truly loop, you'll never hear the opening section again if you listen to it via the sound test; The key continuously moves up in a cyclic progression, and after a little while all non-drum track elements kind of turn inside out.

I once loaded it up in an emulator and 'fast forwarded' the tune perhaps an hour or two, and found some seriously weirded out rumbles and frequencies. It sounded incredible.

As far as the going rate for a JPN Mega Drive, I understand £30-40 for a less-than-great nick model seemed to be the going rate on eBay, when I last checked (until I can source & install a dual frequency oscillator I'll always have that nagging feeling that my switch-laden PAL MD can't really do proper NTSC).

Incidentally Retro-Bit's new Hellfire reissue is patched to output proper audio on a Model 2, if you didn't already have the OG game of course.

I do have it, but if I can't find an MD in the £30-40 range I may well grab the repro at some point - thanks for the info!

That's an amazing discovery with the Devilish tune, too. I've heard loops that cut out a few opening bars before, but never these THX Deep Note-style endless modulations. It almost makes me want to do a 10-hour "Extended" VGM video for YouTube. :P

Fuck no, the stickers are part of the history.

10 hours ago, JamesC said:

I have Operation Starfish!

Actually, that's one I need to spend a bit more time with. 

That is not either of the 2 I meant.

10 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

I do have it, but if I can't find an MD in the £30-40 range I may well grab the repro at some point - thanks for the info!

That's an amazing discovery with the Devilish tune, too. I've heard loops that cut out a few opening bars before, but never these THX Deep Note-style endless modulations. It almost makes me want to do a 10-hour "Extended" VGM video for YouTube. :P

I have a Japanese MD2, unboxed, which I need to get shot of - I'll dig it out if you're interested. It has the common MD2 problem where the solder on the power connector needs reflowing, so the power can drop if it gets knocked, but other than that it works fine. I might have a matching UK MD2 PSU for it somewhere too.

The JP MD2 was the single most handsome version of the Mega Drive too, for my money.

spacer.png

Just look at those burgundy flaps.

I was looking after some pre-teen nephews today and had several discussions with them about videogames, including why I seem to care more about old ones than what they're enjoying on their Switch. It didn't get very far but I'm pretty sure they'll have some nostalgia in the future for games they've been playing recently, even the ones that aren't really all that remarkable.

With them tucked up, and having had their allowed dose of internet-enabled device mania I had an urge to tackle another MD game from the early days, one that I loved for its purity, never owned myself and had forever been on my List of Ones I Must Complete (Don't Ask Why, I Don't Really Know Why): Whip Rush (or "Whip Rush 2222AD: The Invasion Of The Voltegians" for its full name). 

I still love it, super-early period, unsophisticated warts and all. It might have been Vic Tokai's first MD project, no fancy programming tricks or design here. It's just a small scale, unpretentious contract job commissioned by Sega in a period where most other competent devs were still legally tied to Nintendo.

Anyway, done. Twice, even. 

The first time I used a few continues trying to work out how not to bleed my life stocks in the tighter sections, and kind of scraped through. I'd never seen the final stage before. Second time was a legit 1CC with a bunch of spare lives. It's wild to me now that I always thought it suddenly got so punishing from Stage 4 or 5 (out of 7, it turns out). It doesn't. The difficulty spikes at Stage 5 (a fast moving battleship level followed by the toughest boss in the game) but it's nothing a little memorisation and logical weapon choices can't help sort out. 

IMG_20200926_152358300-01.png

IMG_20200926_203158364-01.png

Great story @spanky debrest

I’m a firm believer that most old games are not as bad as people make out. Nothing a bit of breaking down, memorisation and smart decisions can’t get you through.

TBH one of the reasons I like playing retro is the satisfaction of figuring out things like the one you mentioned. I think retro games are generally more straight forward so it’s easier to ‘see the matrix’ of what you should do.

You’ve peaked my interest in picking up a Whiprush :)

On 27/09/2020 at 10:03, Goemon said:

Great story @spanky debrest

I’m a firm believer that most old games are not as bad as people make out. Nothing a bit of breaking down, memorisation and smart decisions can’t get you through.

TBH one of the reasons I like playing retro is the satisfaction of figuring out things like the one you mentioned. I think retro games are generally more straight forward so it’s easier to ‘see the matrix’ of what you should do.

You’ve peaked my interest in picking up a Whiprush :)

I think it's a great game but wouldn't be upset to see it referred to as a lower-tier MD shooter.

But I love its atmosphere and mega chunky visuals, and the weapons & dual pod mechanics are super satisfying to inflict on its multi-directional level designs.

The music is largely excellent too, but, sadly the weapon sound effects occupy the same channels as the bass and a rhythm track, so the tunes do have some of their impact compromised to a degree.

I'd definitely recommend anyone who likes MD space shooters to check it out though. It's much, much better than quite a few I could mention.

• 2 weeks later...

I just won an unboxed Mega Drive one on eBay. First time I've owned one (I had a Mega Drive 2, many many years ago but didn't use it much). 

Going to make a little collection of games that are interesting to me. With most systems that tends to mean RPGs and adventure games but with the Mega Drive I look at it a bit differently as it was the first (imo) "blockbuster" system that started to position video games as a sort of entertainment/lifestyle trend that went deeper than them just being either a geeky hobbyist thing or a toy. 

So what I'm looking for is titles that are sort of culturally relevant to the time. Like movie tie-ins or licensed stuff like Castle of Illusion.

I'm not really looking at the first party stuff so much, most of that I've played to death on emulators and re-releases. Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and all that. 

I'm also going to pick up interesting RPGs and adventures when I find them. I know point n clickers like Monkey Island came out on the Mega CD, but were there ever any attempts at this sort of game on cartridge? And what are the good western-style or JRPGs on the system?