Mega Drive. Yeah!

Gotten back into my first love, the Mega Drive. Picked up about a dozen or so Japanese games so far and enjoyed going through this thread. If anyone is looking to sell any of their Japanese games, please give me a shout :) 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Gotten back into my first love, the Mega Drive. Picked up about a dozen or so Japanese games so far and enjoyed going through this thread. If anyone is looking to sell any of their Japanese games, please give me a shout :) 

get to the back of the queue! :)

• 1 month later...

I know it's not the best (although I've always preferred it to the sequels) but I own all those already and sometimes you just buy a game you don't see that often just because you'd quite like to know you have it.

2020-09-04_15_37_54.jpg

• Upvote 2

I remember paying full price for that on a market stall and completing it in a couple of hours. Went back to ask if I could swap it but it only gave me half the cash back for trade, like an idiot I did it. Ended up with Fatal Labyrinth instead which was way better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I've asked this in another post here but is there a decent website for letting you know which PAL games are region locked and which are unoptimised? Japanese games are getting so expensive that I'm happier to get the naffer looking UK boxes if the games will still run at 60hz without glitching.

6 hours ago, strider said:

I'm sure I've asked this in another post here but is there a decent website for letting you know which PAL games are region locked and which are unoptimised? Japanese games are getting so expensive that I'm happier to get the naffer looking UK boxes if the games will still run at 60hz without glitching.

I know what you mean, I use Segaretro.org

you have to look at individual games, rather than a list, but it is comprehensive and accurate.

• Upvote 1

Inspired by the current Retronauts podcast on Streets of Rage, I fired up the original game last night for a quick spin.

Picked Axel, and did suprisingly well. Most of the bosses are quite straightforward, and even the tricky ones have sufficiently little energy that, with one police attack per life, you can get past them without too much trouble. Made it to Stage 5 on my first credit, then all the way to the second coming of the Blaze-Clone-Twins just before the final boss with my second... only to get my arse kicked repeatedly by them. I'd cheesed my way past them previously with the police attacks, but those aren't available on stage 8. With it being two against one, and them knocking off half a health-bar with each hit, they were too much for me.

Might use the level select to go and practice against them first time around and get their patterns sussed. I worked out I could tech out of being thrown by them, but it didn't seem to work for suplexes, and the flying kicks were just impossible.

I also ordered SoR 4 yesterday, so I'm looking at beating each game in turn before starting it!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Inspired by the current Retronauts podcast on Streets of Rage, I fired up the original game last night for a quick spin.

Picked Axel, and did suprisingly well. Most of the bosses are quite straightforward, and even the tricky ones have sufficiently little energy that, with one police attack per life, you can get past them without too much trouble. Made it to Stage 5 on my first credit, then all the way to the second coming of the Blaze-Clone-Twins just before the final boss with my second... only to get my arse kicked repeatedly by them. I'd cheesed my way past them previously with the police attacks, but those aren't available on stage 8. With it being two against one, and them knocking off half a health-bar with each hit, they were too much for me.

Might use the level select to go and practice against them first time around and get their patterns sussed. I worked out I could tech out of being thrown by them, but it didn't seem to work for suplexes, and the flying kicks were just impossible.

I also ordered SoR 4 yesterday, so I'm looking at beating each game in turn before starting it!

Stand facing away from them, and back attack (B+C) works every time. If one tries to jump kick you simply walk in the opposite direction, then backhand her too. POW! 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Spent a few hours playing all 3 today after listening to the show and really wanted to give the third game a proper go. I think it's problem is the levels are just too long, it feels just like 2 with light tweaks but to get past stage 1 seemed like twice what 2 did. The player needs a chance to take a breather and the timing is just off for the last game, at least that's what I felt as I was playing through a few levels. 

34 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Spent a few hours playing all 3 today after listening to the show and really wanted to give the third game a proper go. I think it's problem is the levels are just too long, it feels just like 2 with light tweaks but to get past stage 1 seemed like twice what 2 did. The player needs a chance to take a breather and the timing is just off for the last game, at least that's what I felt as I was playing through a few levels. 

SoR3 is screwed, play the Bare Knuckle 3 translation instead. They absolutely banjaxed the difficulty for the western release so people couldn’t beat it on a rental, which manages to simultaneously make it harder and more boring. 

• Upvote 1

And the final levels are 80% diagonally jumping robots and ninjas that are hard to hit and knock you down over and over.... both versions of the game are merely ok. The first might be way more basic but it's much more enjoyable IMO. The use of the stage 1 music for the final boss is still a bewildering shit sandwich topper. In fact the entire last boss is total shit too. They must have run out of time.

SOR2 is still my 16bit beat em up of choice but I've been having fun with Maximum Carnage recently.

I think this gets a bit of a raw deal being fairly averagely reviewed. I think it's great fun!

The worst thing about the game is that it's single player only. The second worst thing is that you pretty much have to find some of the secret extra lives and continues. If you can get past those things it's a really fun game. I love the presentation - the comic panels look really great - and it's so full of guest appearances and cameos that, if you have any love for 90's Spidey, you can't fail to be won over.   

While SoR2 is an absolutely triumphant tour-de-force ur-example or 16-bit side-scrolling beat-em-up Heaven, am I the only one that thinks it drags on a bit? By stage six I start feeling a bit fatigued, I think it's the pacing. Maybe if the game was the same length but divided into nine or ten stages it would feel better.

Golden Axe on the other hand... :blah:

2 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

While SoR2 is an absolutely triumphant tour-de-force ur-example or 16-bit side-scrolling beat-em-up Heaven, am I the only one that thinks it drags on a bit? By stage six I start feeling a bit fatigued, I think it's the pacing. Maybe if the game was the same length but divided into nine or ten stages it would feel better.

Golden Axe on the other hand... :blah:

I feel fatigued by stage 3 - which is why I barely play the game these days. Similarly with Bare Knuckle 3. Great games (obviously) but unlike some other brawlers they drag on too much for solo play.