rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
robotattack

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works

I don't think this has already been mentioned.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works

The ultimate retrospective of the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis. A documentary art book by Read-Only Memory.

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works will be the definitive volume on the landmark console. The book is officially licensed by SEGA and celebrates the 25th anniversary of the console’s release. It will be an unparalleled treasury of production artwork, interviews, development sketches and hardware manufacturing plans.
It will also include over 20 exclusive interviews with original SEGA team members – many of whom have never been interviewed before – a foreword by industry legend Dave Perry and an insightful 10,000-word piece by Keith Stuart (Games Editor for the Guardian and regular contributor to Edge) on the machine that changed the landscape of gaming forever.
The book will showcase a wealth of SEGA’s 16-bit titles, from blockbuster games such as Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star, Gunstar Heroes, The Super Shinobi/Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe through to cult gems such as Rent-a-Hero, Vectorman and DecapAttack.

63bf25f742e45656829755d9615ac767_large.j

• Upvote 3

Good question. It doesn't seem to mention anything about editions post-Kickstarter as such, but does say "Your name will be included in the book as a Benefactor in all editions for evermore." suggesting there will be. How/where it will be sold is another thing though.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking - I don't know if that means they'll just sell a digital edition or a paperback or what. I am interested but I can't back it right now.

Ooh, sign me up for this! A pity that for the special edition cover is a chuffin' picture of Sonic and Robotnik, though - all of the great Mega Drive games out there, and that's what they go for? I'll stick with the generic cover, methinks.

Though, at least they haven't bizarrely used the announcement of their cover art as a platform to whinge about "an unfortunate but growing undercurrent of whining from certain English language journalists, about how attractive female artwork should not exist in games, criticising things like various MMORPGs, Dragon's Crown, et al.", and thus become the first Kickstarter I've genuinely had a twinge of remorse for backing. So, you know, as Kickstarted games books go, I guess it's not too bad.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking - I don't know if that means they'll just sell a digital edition or a paperback or what. I am interested but I can't back it right now.

Looking at their previous effort, the book about Sensible Software, they'll be selling further copies through their website. If someone here backs they could ask in the comments about further plans.

Ooh, sign me up for this! A pity that for the special edition cover is a chuffin' picture of Sonic and Robotnik, though - all of the great Mega Drive games out there, and that's what they go for? I'll stick with the generic cover, methinks.

It sounds like brand new art for this release alone, by the guy who designed these characters in the first place who hasn't worked at SEGA in yoinks, man. I'd say that's anything but generic.

He worked on Generations, didn't he? Or was that just a case of "he designed the original characters so we have to keep crediting him"?

But yeah, I appreciate he's the designer of Sonic, but it's still fucking Sonic, man. If I want pictures of Sonic I'll get an old copy of Sonic the Comic out. It'll cost a spot less than £250, too ;)

::checks wiki::

He gets special thanks in Generations. ;) But sure I'm just being gullible stuck in the past super fan, here. I doubt it's a picture of the hedgehog and the doctor dancing or something equally uh...awe-inspiring. The normal cover is certainly sexy indeed.

Ah, sorry, it must be a "backers only" post.

I'm still hopeful that the book itself will be good (and I've no issue with his "whining" posts - I can appreciate that he is doing a lot of work, but equally realises that Kickstarter backers are fickle beasts and will want regular updates, so is posting occasionally to explain why he's not providing continual updates), but in his most recent update he outlines the SE cover and provides a picture of the four draft images he has to choose from (none of which I'm hugely enamoured with, I must say, but I don't mind them).

All fine, but somewhat less fine is the bit where, following mentioning that the cover "features an attractive young woman as the focal point.", he dedicated an entire paragraph to complaining about journalists complaining about games being filled with T&A (the irony apparently lost on him), peppered with helpful suggestions like "If it makes you that uncomfortable, don't consume the products."

Not exactly what I, or a few other backers, were expecting.

That's typical Szczepaniak. I'm not a huge fan of the author himself but do enjoy his writing. Either way I hope that project and this one fulfil their goals.

Isn't this Keith Stuart?

Sorry, Roper's referring to the topic I derailed the thread onto, John Szczepaniak's "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" (or, specifically, an update within it).

Though even this book isn't by Keith Stuart, it just has a (dissertation-length) foreword by him.

Just a heads up it's finally gone to press in Italy yesterday, will be going out to folks near the end of October. The website still has it for a lower pre-order price then retail. Go now! Buy! :D

http://readonlymemory.vg/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works

Also worth checking the Kickstarter updates page to see the general goings on over the past year. It's been double/triple checked by SEGA Japan at this point.

Can't wait. :) No £250 Sonic edition for me, but I'll live. (and find it on eBay once I'm a billionaire)

• Upvote 4

IT'S ARRIVED!!! :omg: :omg: :omg:

IMG_0453.jpg

It's not the best of bindings as I'll example with the picture below (the overall book is sturdy enough), but the content itself I've certainly no complaints about. It's truly great to see certain cover art in full (or sometimes double page!) glory.

IMG_0457.jpg

Loads of interviews to get through (all collected towards the back). The opening piece by Dave Perry was great. Excuse me while I delve in. :)

• Upvote 3

My copy turned up yesterday as well, only had a quick flick through it but it looks fantastic.

I totally nerded out at the hand drawn design sketches of stuff like the MD case etc, mainly because of my background as a draughtsman. Spent ages just looking at the hand written text and things like dimension lines. They are simply beautiful to see and make the whole book worthwhile.

I think my wife wondered why she married me at that moment.

Rather randomly I am catching up on my podcast backlog and am just listening to One Life Left and one of the guys behind this book, Darren Wall I think they called him, is on it.

He has just said that the image I was was drooling over will be available to buy as a print. Will be all over that.

Yeah my copy turned up too. Love the design schematics type stuff. Interesting to see the planning stuff for Bare Knuckle etc too. Really like this kind of stuff. I liked "Gran Turismo 4: Driving the Game" for similar reasons. All that behind the scenes stuff, lovely shots of the hardware, some great interviews, good stuff. Wish there were more books like this for more hardware but then I guess that's what KickStarter is for :)

1280360239.jpg

So that's what the Special Edition Oshima picture looks like then.

Robotnik's about to either give him a hug or slap him with his rather slightly too long arms.

Or maybe hes just waving.

Or is in the middle of juggling chaos emeralds.