rllmuk
Hexx

Alien: Isolation

6 hours ago, Triple A said:

and all the other things too, to be able to follow through? good luck

Are you telling me that I shouldn't put forth ideas and suggestions about how Alien Isolation may possibly be improved without designing, engineering and developing my own version of the game?

Original CA pitch video to Sega. 

Interesting that there's some dynamic environmental interaction in that as that is one of the things I would have liked to see in the game. Enemies smashing glass or breaking through doors or makeshift barriers and more general interactivity with the environment.

• Upvote 1

God I love this game. I played through to completion on easy, normal and hard. Started a new game on the highest difficulty and before beginning it displays a message that explains there are no specific achievements for playing on very hard and you really don’t need to do this. :lol:

I never finished it since other things got in the way but it wasn’t noticeably harder. Once you figure out how the alien AI works, make good but sparing use of distractions and are familiar with the map layouts you can skip about quite freely - my hardest play through was actually easy, as I tried to crouch at all times and the game punishes this by having the alien spawn and come get you irrespective. I noticed he spawned far less frequently if you just walk at normal times and crouch as needed once he enters the area. 

The DLC time attack stages are considerably harder than the main game, and more tense/scary as a result. The alien is hyper-sensitive to your presence, moves faster and is more adventurous in using ducts, which is obviously where you as the player is likely to be having learned from the main game that they are pretty much safe. The added challenge of having to explore the stages to pick up challenge items really expands on this, very well designed mini games they were. 

• Upvote 6

Wow, I just finished reading the whole thread through start to finish, what a nostalgia rush and how wonderful to see so many other people also enjoyed the game as much as me (much, much more in some cases!). 

In my above post I mentioned how the alien (sorry; Alan) seems to come get you more if you crouch all the time, but given the depth of detail present in the thread about how the AI is completely unscripted I wonder if that can be true? I suppose the ‘director’ element of it may be responsible, but it could just be a case of phantom memory syndrome on my part. 

Are there any guides for finding all the ID tags? While I’ve fired up another hard runthrough (as a result of reading this fantastic thread) and been able to find one I’m still missing 5. A guide with grid references based on the way they’re laid out in the menu would be amazing!

I’ve got about 20 PS4 games sat unplayed and yet I’m playing this AGAIN. As someone else said, it’s the kind of game that has you thinking about it even when you’re not playing. 4 years later and it still looks the business too. Incredible achievement. 

• Upvote 1

I'd say the AI is pseudo-unscripted in that the higher level portion of it might choose to direct Alan your way if you fanny about too much in one area. Crouching is probably a slow enough movement to trigger that.

Wouldn’t that be lovely. 

I bought this again again during Halloween for tuppence on PS4, and have been playing through on hard. I clearly need another one, but for the time being I’ll keep playing Isolation. 

And yet more Isolation news - the UI designer who worked on the game has his own studio. They're making a game with a very retro sci-fi vibe, coming out early next year, where you play as a space station AI using an old skool operating system, crappy old monitors and such. Sounds cool!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-26-observation-is-like-an-arthouse-accompaniment-to-alien-isolation

• Upvote 3

Sounds like Amanda Ripley might be coming back in some form:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-06-20th-century-fox-teases-possible-new-amanda-ripley-alien-game

There's a bit more detail in this tweet:

...but unless you're taking a very optimistic view on this, it doesn't sound like we're getting a Creative Assembly-developed sequel to Alien: Isolation. The Read / Play / Watch thing and the January hashtag make me think it'll be some kind of Bandersnatch-style interactive movie based on the story and assets of A:I. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I'm not exactly fired up by this news.

• Upvote 2

So I had a gander at the potted webisodes version of the Isolation story that just came out and while it looks ropey as you'd expect given it shoehorns an awkward third person Amanda model in some scenes it has left me hopeful that we're going to get some kind of follow up beyond just the mobile game. They use the game's ending as a framing device for retelling the events of Sevastopol, and expand on it somewhat as Amanda uses her EVA suit to go into part of the debris field to activate a beacon to get picked up. While in the debris, she sees Alan and chums are basically just chilling out around pieces of wreckage, which is rather disconcerting and gives a lead for a follow up without the need to go back to the derelict or whatever.

Anyway, fingers crossed it is leading to something. In a lot of ways, Isolation has been the game that's stuck with me the most this gen, despite its flaws. It did so much right - namely terrifying the crap out of me - that I'd love to see CA get another shot, or someone else do a spiritual survival horror sequel with as much love and care as CA did, as opposed to yet another run & gun slaughterfest.

It is very obviously Fox trying to capitalise on the success of the original without having to reward any of the creative people that actually made it happen. If they wanted to meaningfully take advantage of that good will they know who to go to with a generous contract; this is just hubris.

Thanks to the lovely XBox One Gamepass, I just finished Layers of Fear and Outlast with the wifey (who loves horrors and psychological thrillers).  Don't think I ever would have tried these games without Gamepass.

I think this is next on the list for us.  I know absolutely nothing about it (not really sure how it passed me by), but it seems from skimming this thread that we're going to have a blast playing through it.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you’re in for a treat.

I may get stuck in yet again today - I’ve played it through more times than I can count but have yet to do a run where I go back for all the Nostromo logs.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I got to the first meeting with the Alien then turned it off. Too scary for me. Maybe one day I'll go back. 

Same here. I'm a massive Alien fan, the first movie would be in my top 10 films ever - this game was pretty much made for me.

First time I met Alan I turned it off & never went back... :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

Okay, I restarted this on my Xbox after failing to get into it the first time on PC a few years ago. I suspect that the heavy medical treatments I was undergoing at the time didn't help because I didn't get into it at all back then. More tedious than anything else, tried to force myself through it but gave up really early on. But now it has grabbed me right from the start! It's goddamn gorgeous. It's goddamn atmospheric. And there isn't even a single Alan to be seen yet! Glad I gave it another shot, it's :wub:

• Upvote 5

It's an amazingly atmospheric game, but I have to say I 'noped' out of it very early on. Between Alan and those bastard androids the only logical place to play the game was on the loo, and quite honestly moving my desktop in there would have been...problematic.

43 minutes ago, JoeK said:

It's an amazingly atmospheric game, but I have to say I 'noped' out of it very early on. Between Alan and those bastard androids the only logical place to play the game was on the loo, and quite honestly moving my desktop in there would have been...problematic.

Pretty sure it would run well on Switch :blink: