rllmuk
Orko

Better Call Saul!

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, that she's in prison during Breaking Bad. I think Kim getting killed would be kind of lame. She's a decent person, clearly wanting to do good with her pro bono work, but occasionally led down the wrong path by Jimmy. Possibly she'll be led down a really wrong path and end up in prison, her career and reputation in ruins. Left to ruminate on what she's done, whilst behind bars, is quite possibly a fate worse than death.

My prediction is she won’t die - that would break Jimmy Beyond the point of being able to function. 

But she may fuck him over - a con too far that she tries to talk him out of but that he goes through with anyway... something too illegal or amoral, for which she rats him out, forever turning him away from her and any path back to being good; forever setting him on the way to being Saul, rather than just playing at him, as he is this season. 

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

That ending had me yelp out loud!

They totally pulled the rug from under me there. I was thinking, this is it, this is the break... And them boom!

Fucking hell...

• Upvote 3

You never fucking know.

I mean, you think you do, you think you see where a scene, an episode, an arc is going, because you do in every other show, right?

But here? BAM, pick the bones out of that. The runners and writers of this are so fucking far ahead of you it’s hysterical.

There is literally nothing else nearly as good as this. Absolutely, utterly outstanding.

• Upvote 3

Oh god that was an uncomfortable watch. Jimmy's dead, Kim. Just GTFO now while you still can, pleeeeeeeeease.

Also kinda amazing how something as ostensibly dry as a boardroom lawyer scene about a relatively minor land dispute could be so incredibly tense and stomach churning while other dramas throw kitchen sink high stakes around all over and are nowhere near as compelling.

• Upvote 6

Spoiler

I started the episode feeling disappointed I wouldn't get to see Jimmy's crazy scheme, then when he went ahead and did it anyway I instantly felt remorse at being sucked in by him, much as Kim is being - it's such a fascinating dynamic and character relationships in this show make Game of Thrones look like Baby's First Intrigue.

• Upvote 2

What I don’t get is why...

Kim would suggest they get married.

I also thought it came across as a little unbelievable.

I know Jimmy’s been slowly turning into Saul, but it still didn’t feel right that he’d put Kim in such a bad position.

It was well executed, obviously, but it just felt a step to far, too quickly for his character.

Also, one last thing... maybe I missed it...

What made him look into the origins of the Mesa Verde logo? How did he know it’d come from that photo and how did he know the photographer hadn’t been paid for its use?

• Upvote 3

Although the show is still good, this season has not been a patch on previous. Everything is faster paced than has happened previously, as if the writers are desperate to get to the end point. The genius in the show has been letting the characters stew, not racing to their final form. Within a few episodes Jimmy has completely changed character and Kim, who used to be a smart lawyer, is now acting like an utter moron. Unless she’s about to double cross Saul, in which case it’s been signposted a mile off. 

The show really misses Chuck. 

• Empathy 1

I think this week's was probably one of the best episodes the show has ever done. And therefore, by default, one of the best episodes of anything, ever. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JPL said:

What I don’t get is why...

Hide contents

Kim would suggest they get married.

Wasn’t it to do with the fact that married partners can’t be forced to testify against each other in the US legal system?

• Upvote 1

@jon_cybernet You might want to spoiler tag that.

Was it though? Was that explained at all? That's a pretty big reason to not bother explaining, if you're right. Although, what would that gain them anyway?

They're not up against each other in court and there was no insinuation that they would be. Didn't Kevin agree to Jimmy's demands in the car park?

1 hour ago, JPL said:

@jon_cybernet You might want to spoiler tag that.

Was it though? Was that explained at all? That's a pretty big reason to not bother explaining, if you're right. Although, what would that gain them anyway?

Hide contents

They're not up against each other in court and there was no insinuation that they would be. Didn't Kevin agree to Jimmy's demands in the car park?

I think the insinuation was that she couldn't trust him not to stab her in the back again, unless they were married which would give her some degree of protection in the future. But I might be wrong.

Just now, jon_cybernet said:

Hide contents

I think the insinuation was that she couldn't trust him not to stab her in the back again, unless they were married which would give her some degree of protection in the future. But I might be wrong.

That seems a bit weird to me.

She’s an intelligent, strong woman. There’s no way she’d marry him to protect herself. As she said, the trust is gone, so I don’t understand why she’d stick with him.

It was even shown in the intro that she’s independent and can detach from her emotions and it’s not like she needs him.

I’m sure it’ll become clear next episode, but it didn’t land right for me. It just felt like the writers thought ‘what’s the last thing viewers will expect now’ and they’ll write their way out of it somehow.

12 hours ago, JPL said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Also, one last thing... maybe I missed it...

Reveal hidden contents

What made him look into the origins of the Mesa Verde logo? How did he know it’d come from that photo and how did he know the photographer hadn’t been paid for its use?

Spoiler

I think it might be to with last week's episode when "Trevor" had broken into the house and found nothing but when Kim looked over the photographs he'd taken of the interior, she spotted something, probably the photo in question, hanging on a wall. She probably made the connection between the original photo and their logo, having been the one so involved with Mesa Verde.

That's how I read it anyway.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, multi said:

Hide contents

I think it might be to with last week's episode when "Trevor" had broken into the house and found nothing but when Kim looked over the photographs he'd taken of the interior, she spotted something, probably the photo in question, hanging on a wall. She probably made the connection between the original photo and their logo, having been the one so involved with Mesa Verde.

That's how I read it anyway.

Yes, it's this. I watched that episode and this weeks this evening.

I didn't really get the ending at all but it will become apparent as it always does and you'll just think, ahhhh.

This week was a great episode involving Kim, Mike, Fring, Nacho, Jimmy/Saul, Howard, Mesa Verde cowboy guy, the senior Lawyer man who reminds me of a Pacino/Michael Douglas hybrid and even the old film crew were back. The only one missing was Hank and maybe Hector's bell.

What stood out for me was just how visibly angry Fring looked; his character is rarely emotional but in his meeting, he looked ready to tear someone apart. Nacho's warning to Mike was chilling considering what we know about him.

This is going to end with Kim vs Saul in a courtroom isn't it?  He's going to bury her career as he can't help himself being cleverer than everyone else regardless of the consequences.  His "I'm so great!" comment to himself will, I think, echo by the end of this season.

As much as I love the Saul Goodman character, it's going to ruin poor Kim and he's going to ruin Howard too and probably a lot of other people.  

• Upvote 1

Kim is so troubled. If breaking bad was showing the transformation from Mr chips to Scarface, Better Call Saul is ostensibly the transformation of Jimmy McGill to Saul Goodman. But what we're seeing is the transformation of Kim. She's a professional lawyer and highly respected with a great reputation. But her love for Jimmy and the thrill of the con is transforming her. She is conflicted. She loves Jimmy, hates Saul, but cannot deny that's all is the best lawyer she's ever seen, as he achieves results way in advance of anything that HHM or Davis and Maine. She hates the way he went about it but loves that he just got exactly what he wanted and beat Kevin, a man that she works for but ultimately hates. Jimmy is using underhand tactics to score big wins for the little guy, whilst Kim uses legitimate professional methods to screw over the little guy on the behalf of the corporations and she's not happy doing this. Ultimately we are seeing Kim transform but where Walter and Jimmy's paths were straight from citizen to criminal we have no idea where Kim is going to end up.

This is the greatest thing on TV.

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

What stood out for me was just how visibly angry Fring looked; his character is rarely emotional but in his meeting, he looked ready to tear someone apart. Nacho's warning to Mike was chilling considering what we know about him.

He really is one of the greatest TV villains of the last 20 years.

I just watched the last episode of better call Saul again. In that last scene with Kim and Jimmy, you just have to listen to the way that Kim controls her voice as she mentally contemplates the future of this relationship with Jimmy. What an acting performance. The wobble in her voice is absolutely perfect and controlled on every word.

• Upvote 4

On 26/03/2020 at 23:46, jonamok said:

Rhea Seehorn is amazing in literally every scene, every episode, every series.

If they decide to go off in a spin off direction again when this is over then they should build it around her.