Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Nintendo 2DS

Great idea it might be, but at £109 it's just too much for my liking. Shame because my nephew's mad for Mario and a cheaper 3DS would've made a great little gift. As it stands I'd rather get him a 3DS classic.

It's a smidge too expensive though, £110 is £5 less than I paid for a 3DS XL from Tesco recently.

Yes that was a good deal but I wonder if it really needed to just be the other side of £100.

Take my money. Bury it. Promise me it will never go to Nintendo. Their incompetence is reaching Sega heights, no wonder theyre pairing up. Spectacularly, amazingly, hilariously, incredibly terrible concept, design, execution, price point, lack of circle pad, horrific button placement, abysmal shoulder buttons, one of the greatest falls from grace from a console manufacturer ever seen. Im suprised it has wifi.

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 20

Take my money. Bury it. Promise me it will never go to Nintendo. Their incompetence is reaching Sega heights, no wonder theyre pairing up. Spectacularly, amazingly, hilariously, incredibly terrible concept, design, execution, price point, lack of circle pad, horrific button placement, abysmal shoulder buttons, one of the greatest falls from grace from a console manufacturer ever seen. Im suprised it has wifi.

So because you don't want it, it's a disaster and everything about it is awful? At £150 for this and the new Pokémon, it's at exactly the right price point to not be unfeasible for a kid's Christmas present, as well as not having the 3D features which are apparently bad for children - it'll sell loads.

So because you don't want it, it's a disaster and everything about it is awful? At £150 for this and the new Pokémon, it's at exactly the right price point to not be unfeasible for a kid's Christmas present, as well as not having the 3D features which are apparently bad for children - it'll sell loads.

Yeah, its almost as expensive as the amazing 3ds xl, and a million percent worse. The worst console design by anyone since the Gizmondo.

You're surprised that a console revision that is releasing on the same day as a new Pokémon game has WiFi? Right.

Due to their famous meanness and feature removing, see the Wii Mini has no wifi.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

The no-hinge thing is actually kind of genius. I wonder how many DSes over the years have been annihilated by six year olds with jam on their fingers and evil in their eyes.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, its almost as expensive as the amazing 3ds xl, and a million percent worse. The worst console design by anyone since the Gizmondo.

The XL's RRP is £169.99, and this new one is priced at £109.99 - so no, it's not almost as expensive. Granted, you can occasionally find a deal on an XL, but the same will be true for the 2DS as well. And yes, it is worse than an XL, but they're aimed at completely different audiences.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The no-hinge thing is actually kind of genius. I wonder how many DSes over the years have been annihilated by six year olds with jam on their fingers and evil in their eyes.

I hadn't thought of that. Fils-Aime is apparently saying that it's aimed at under-7s for whom 3D is unrecommended anyway; anything that can keep the machine working when left unattended with that demographic is a good idea.

• Upvote 2

It seems like it would be impossible to just throw in a bag and walk about with, making Streetpass et al completely useless. Doesn't seem like it'd be ideal for really small kids either because surely it's quite a stretch for small fingers to get to the shoulder buttons the way the face buttons are placed? Maybe it's a lot smaller than it looks.

• Upvote 2

They should've called it Nintendo 2DS Junior, now that I think about it. It's good as a sturdier DS that's, y'know, for kids, but not as a cheaper way to get a 3DS.

I hadn't thought of that. Fils-Aime is apparently saying that it's aimed at under-7s for whom 3D is unrecommended anyway; anything that can keep the machine working when left unattended with that demographic is a good idea.

Yeah, even with the hinge, it never ceases to amaze me how resilient their handheld machines are. I saw a kid on the bus to town the other day playing on a blue original full-fat DS that genuinely looked like it had been in a house fire. I think it was actually older than him.

• Upvote 2

Firstly, it's £10 too much but I guess that won't matter.

Secondly, why aren't they shovelling out a new version of Nintendogs with this thing? Have a Pokemon bundle and a Nintendogs bundle.*

Nintendo: Failing to cash-in on previous success since 2010.

*I realise there's a 3DS Nintendogs already. They should bundle it or something. Party like it's 2006.

It seems like it would be impossible to just throw in a bag and walk about with, making Streetpass et al completely useless.

What, like a tablet and other similar devices that people quite happily carry around in their bags?

Looks like it comes with its own pouch too:

• Upvote 2

This guy for mod