Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

The Conjuring - new horror yarn from James Wan

Synopsis: Before there was Amityville, there was Harrisville. Based on a true story, “The Conjuring” tells the horrifying tale of how world renowned paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren were called upon to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in a secluded farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful demonic entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most terrifying case of their lives.

Although it looks like a routine horror the trailer is pretty effective.

This is reviewing really well, it's meant to be genuinely frightening.

Includes the obligatory creepy doll, and centres around a pair of paranormal investigators who get drawn into an Amityville horror situation.

TheConjuring470.jpg

Definitely gonna catch at the cinema when it's released - it's been far too long since I properly shat myself, from a film at least.

It's pretty good. I gave it 4/5. Unusually for a modern horror it reveals what's going on very early in the film, so it removes that "waiting for the big scare" moment and instead focuses on the maintained atmosphere throughout.

Saw this this afternoon. Not bad. Could have done with less exposition at the beginning as the actual haunting felt a bit rushed. The ending is better than Insidious as well, which isn't hard.

There is an extended 10 minute suspense sequence in this that is worthy of classics such as the shining or the haunting. It is actually masterfully written and directed.

The screening I was in had terrified women hanging on to their fellas.

Unfortunately it didn't quite deliver in the character and plot department, but fuck me, when it's scary it is really scary.

Go see it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Which 10 minute bit you on about, Kerraig?

The exorcism or the bit where the Warren's daughter get's haunted by the doll? Or the bit where the daughter gets dragged around by her hair?

Yeah, this is really good. Supernatural horror doesn't usually do much for me, but this has some genuinely frightening sequences. I like that it is rather slow paced, builds the tension up nicely. It feels very old-fashioned. I think the last time I came out of a cinema so spooked by a film was when I watched Switchblade Romance.

Strongly recommended.

Its OK, I don't think its really scary but its better than it should be. I always like Patrick Wilson so its always great to see him in a film, but its like the Poltergeist meets Exorcist. Its nice to see a some what original horror and not another refresh of another Paranormal Activity.

I was talking about 'clap clap'. But there are several brilliant sequences.

Ah yes, that bit was good. I also really liked the

There's someone behind the door bit too.

Which 10 minute bit you on about, Kerraig?

... the bit where the daughter gets dragged around by her hair?

All I could think of when I was watching that bit was this (from around 1:19):

Saw this this afternoon. Not bad. Could have done with less exposition at the beginning as the actual haunting felt a bit rushed. The ending is better than Insidious as well, which isn't hard.

Conversely, I thought it fell apart as soon as the exposition stopped and you found out what was going on. As soon as the investigators turned up the film became a bland, standard exercise in people doing stupid unrealistic things just like you expect them to do in any horror film, with that irritating BWAAAAAAAAAWM sound all over the place.

Up until then, though, I thought it was excellent. Overall it was a 6/10 for me, but I'm very hard on these sorts of film.

Every ghost film falls apart after the exposition except a tiny few (ringu, sixth sense). Even bonafide masterpieces like the exorcist and the shining struggle to maintain scares in act 3. Usually instead opting for redemptive action. This for me is why ringu is unparalleled in the genre, because it ratchets up soooo much after a fairly slow 70 mins or so.

Conjuring has a pretty worthless act 3, but is still worth the trip for the glorious middle third

• Upvote 1

Thought this was an okay film, enjoyed Sinister much more though.

I didn't find this very scary, some jumpy moments.. decent enough just perhaps not as good as I was led to believe.