Rogue Legacy - A PC Metroidvania about family business

Siri

Just bought it, excellent stuff.

I know you mentioned it above, but just to make sure that people realise you can buy it direct from the devs, as you said in the steam thread:

Although, take heed - You can buy it from Cellar Door Games' own store (Powered by Humble Store) for about £10.19, and comes with a Steam Key! At a £1.80 saving, that's Buy Six, Get One Free super bargain sale!

(Oh, and you get a DRM-Free copy as well)

Nice one, cheers Blunted :)

I'm still not that far in, to be quite honest (5 Hours!) - mainly out of attempting to rack up as much health and unlocks as humanely possible before even attempting bosses. My best results at the minute are with the upgraded Ninja (Hokage) class, combined with a couple of Blood equipment pieces for Vampirism. The raw damage output means I'm killing most enemies in the Castle portion with one hit, while I'm netting about 4HP a kill. In a good room, that means I heal most my HP in a short amount of time.

In a bad room... I still die. Roguelikes, innit.

The lich is pretty sweet. Love who he gives you more health with every kill you make. Going to make this our lead review in our august issue, I know that's late (darn deadlines etc) but I want to ensure that as many people play it as possible. Fantastic little game.

The lich is pretty sweet. Love who he gives you more health with every kill you make. Going to make this our lead review in our august issue, I know that's late (darn deadlines etc) but I want to ensure that as many people play it as possible. Fantastic little game.

I just unlocked the Lich and it's jumped to the top of my list for favourite class.

I'm still really keeping myself to the castle at the moment, every time I venture into one of the other areas I get it handed to me.

Reading this I'm getting a SotN meets Dark Souls vibe. Can anyone confirm before I click buy?

While it doesn't have any of the mechanics of Dark Souls it does have the same feeling of always progressing despite the difficulty. It's like a mad hybrid between SOTN, Spelunky and Mega Man.

After playing a bit more, I'm... surprised that I only have to kill any of the guardians once for them to be completely done, I would have thought they would respawn upon death - then again, that would make a 1 Character run a bit tricky, and it would make treasure hoarding pretty simple. Especially as I killed Khidr in the most scrubtacular way possible:

Hokage with Conflux.

Hit B, dodge bullet hell, whack the shit out of Khidr. Repeat process until you're done. Step two's optional in my case 'cause I'm a spack. :lol:

Onto the forest! Luckily, all my time grinding means that some enemies are dying in one hit. Others.. not so much. At least I can pick up some new gear now I'm done with Castle.

This is wonderful and all the posts above are correct.

Anyone find the controls a little imprecise, however? I find it extremely hard to do any of the jumping sections with the activation platforms. I tried increasing the deadzone a little but I'm not sure if the game is just purposefully unforgiving with its inputs.

Hitboxes also seem very much in favour of enemies, it's very tricky to hit flying enemies and not get hit yourself, if its not a one-hit kill.

I really like the mechanic that lets you lock the Castle layout. It gives you a chance to go back with different abilities to get the item chests that were impossible before. As the discovered map also gets saved you can use the teleports to go grab the chests much quicker.

This is wonderful and all the posts above are correct.

Anyone find the controls a little imprecise, however? I find it extremely hard to do any of the jumping sections with the activation platforms. I tried increasing the deadzone a little but I'm not sure if the game is just purposefully unforgiving with its inputs.

Hitboxes also seem very much in favour of enemies, it's very tricky to hit flying enemies and not get hit yourself, if its not a one-hit kill.

Yeah, I'm a couple of hours in and that's the only problem I have with the controls. If only the 360 controller had a decent d-pad. Also, at the start, when I was playing the demo, I found myself missing the weird Castlevania mix of weighty movement and floaty jumps. However, after getting used to the general lack of heft, I find the controls pretty great now, and they make so much sense once you get to the more bullet-hell inspired areas of the game.

I'm a couple of hours in and I just tried the forest area boss since I had nothing left to explore in the forest area for the first time. Much to my surprise, considering my previous attempts, I actually managed it without getting hit once - the key was using a shinobi, meaning I could keep his minions under control with one hit kills.

Just unlocked the Lich, and looking forward to trying him out, probably this evening. According to his blurb, he gains max HP on every kill, this, combined with a rune or two weakening the enemies of the castle could be quite something!

Hoorah, my lineage seems to be hitting their stride again - I seem to be able to clear most of the forest now, which officially nets me anywhere from 2,000-6,000 gold. The home expansion is happening rapidly as a result, and means I can now roll the rather snazzy Spellsword (Low HP, MP and Strength, but gains MP with every hit - combine that with OCD/Vampirism, and you're basically a walking rechargable death tank), and (top-right skill tree spoilers):

The chance to randomise your kids if you're not happy with the selection, using SCIENCE! It's only usable once a run, though.

I'm going to have to think up a rough character idea that I should run against Alexander (Forest Boss), though. The actual attacks are fine, but I spend so much time jumping all over the place that I forget he spawns minions.

Imprecise, no. BUT that downward jab is only momentary (at least to begin with) so it does have to be well timed... takes a while to get used to, I found.

You can knock enemies back further with hypergonadism (titter) I think. There's an equal but opposite trait that prevents enemies being knocked back at all so maybe you had that? It's a sneaky game, this, because for every criticism there is almost certainly a trait, weapon or rune that fixes things right up.

Yup. I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I'm terrible at this, but it's really addictive. There's going to be one hell of a family tree come the end.

I'm on Win8 as well; no issues at all.

Some of my guys had an embarrassingly short life. It would be good if the family history generated some blurb on the deeds of your ancestors. Or maybe a title based on their performance. "Cyril the cowardly" etc.

I did the first boss this afternoon. He went down pretty fast, so I'm concerned that I've spent too much time grinding around the first area. I think I'll force myself to explore further afield.

Went round my brother-in-law's house and he started gushing about this the moment I stepped through the door. Spent the rest of the evening taking turns on it, seeing how far we could each get on a single life, and bought it myself as soon as I got back.

It's one of those games. Superb.

What a brilliant game. Feels perfect to control and one of those where I know the only reason I'm dying is that I'm not good enough! I can see myself sinking loads of time into this :)

A good way to practise or even beat the bosses is...

to use the same castle layout and teleport straight to the boss door. If you beat the boss this way you'll get less coins but I found it good for having a few practise attempts back to back.

This is why I wanted to know more what the next consoles were doing that didn't involve all the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaagh christ stop it stuff. Just because you can create massive fucking realistic gameworlds in 3D with the most detail ever doesn't mean you have to, there's still more actual fun to be had with something like this as that. Can't even stop playing the bloody demo.