glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

8 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Steady on, guys, this wasn't Gillingham. This was a strong Premiership XI, who basically see the FA Cup as their only shot at anything, playing as if it was.

Well, exactly, so why put out such a hugely changed, weakened team? Or, alternatively, if there's that little interest in progressing, why throw on Salah and Firmino and risk them injuring themselves in chasing the game, or send Mignolet up for corners, when the only particularly likely outcome at that stage was scraping a draw and making matters even worse in terms of fixture congestion? All seemed a bit strange to me.

Because we did want to win and progress in the competition but just not as much as wanting to win the league. He thought the team he picked was still good enough (and to an extent on paper you could argue they are) but got it wrong. 

Then again he's been manager here long enough to know that starting Mignolet, Moreno and Lovren altogether is basically throwing the game for the opposition. 

He picked a team that he felt should be able to beat Wolves, whilst giving other players a chance to stake a claim. They only just lost to a near full strength Wolves too. Despite being outplayed for a lot of the game. 

Certain players went out and proved they have a future (Camacho, Hoever) and others showed they won't be here much longer at all (Moreno, Sturridge). I though Fabinho did ok and will have to step in for a few weeks alongside Van Djik, unless we buy someone right now. 

We rested some important players for the league, which HAS to be a our number one priority. If we beat Brighton convincingly then all is good again. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

He picked a team that he felt should be able to beat Wolves, whilst giving other players a chance to stake a claim. They only just lost to a near full strength Wolves too. Despite being outplayed for a lot of the game. 

Certain players went out and proved they have a future (Camacho, Hoever) and others showed they won't be here much longer at all (Moreno, Sturridge). I though Fabinho did ok and will have to step in for a few weeks alongside Van Djik, unless we buy someone right now. 

We rested some important players for the league, which HAS to be a our number one priority. If we beat Brighton convincingly then all is good again. 

I thought there was no insight into Camacho's future at all, he clearly isn't a full back and I don't think he'll replace Salah, Firmino or Mane any time soon on the evidence of that performance. He doesn't fit into a Klopp 3 man midfield either, so I think he needs to be given more opportunity to show his ability.

Hoever was assured, especially so considering his age and if he can continue to improve he'll be phenomenal.

The less said of Moreno and Sturridge the better.

According to Klopp both Gomez and Matip will be back in full training after the weekend. So the team need to squeeze a result out at Brighton and hopefully should be over the worst of the central defensive injuries. High scoring thriller at the weekend then.

4 minutes ago, Adrock said:

I thought there was no insight into Camacho's future at all, he clearly isn't a full back and I don't think he'll replace Salah, Firmino or Mane any time soon on the evidence of that performance. He doesn't fit into a Klopp 3 man midfield either, so I think he needs to be given more opportunity to show his ability.

I agree to an extent, but he did enough to show he warrants further opportunities in the side. The FA Cup run could have been that for him, but it isn't to be. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46838207

Bayern Munich forward Thomas Muller is set to miss both legs of their Champions League last-16 tie against Liverpool after he was given a two-match European ban.

Muller, 29, was sent off in December's 3-3 group-stage draw with Ajax for kicking Nicolas Tagliafico in the head.

He's going to appeal but he'll be a big miss for Bayern even if it's only for one leg.

Massive game today, Fabinho partnering Van Dijk at the back? The team need the win to stop the narrative of a wobble becoming true, win the game and keep the pressure on City and Tottenham to stay close.

Very pedestrian right now, everything is in front of Brighton and lots of passing side to side. The shame is that a lot of the play is going through Henderson and that isn't his strength.

Keita for Henderson early in the second half would be nice. Get some more forward thrust to the team.

They’ve tried to walk it in as well, looking for a pass when they could have shot. Hopefully they’ll be more direct in the second half.

Pretty convincing in the respect that it’s a difficult place to go and they didn’t really trouble us. Also with Fabinho at the back! How long til Gomez returns..?

Matip was on the bench so he is closer to fitness but Klopp did say last week he expected them both to resume full training after the Brighton game. So I reckon the answer is either the next game or the one after that.

The Brighton fans were hilarious today, booing correct decision after correct decision. Awful tackle in the box which he didn’t even need to do.

15 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Pretty convincing in the respect that it’s a difficult place to go and they didn’t really trouble us..

True but the performance hasn't convinced me that we can continue to not drop points. We'll need to improve to continue to get wins, can't rely on awful challenges from defenders gifting us penalties.