Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Not long now. This is probably the least confident I've been in a derby for a long time, the team are still better than the Everton team but the early season form and introduction of some excellent signings have closed the gap significantly.

For some reason I thought this game was tomorrow and I'm out today and won't see it. Given how bad both our last game and the last derby was, that's probably no bad thing. I'm going to try and avoid keep checking the score.

Like you @Adrock, I'm not feeling confident. If we were on pre-lockdown form I'd not care about their team and I'd expect us to win, but post-lockdown we've been very inconsistent and looked pretty bad in quite a few games and defensively we're not at it. Adrian in goal does nothing to give me confidence, either. Let's hope he can at least avoid a direct error leading to a goal, we need him to have some level of confidence after all if he's the man between the sticks for a few games yet.

Dirty Pickford’s a scumbag and should have gone. I don’t see why someone being offside should change that. Maybe it’s not a pen if he’s off, but if he’s tried to break his leg he should go regardless, surely?

If van Dijk’s actually injured and not just taken off as a precaution then I think Pickford might not be at Everton much longer. I can’t imagine his life in Liverpool being that great once half the city hates him. 

How the fuck was that not a red? It can’t be because the ball is dead. Terrible decision. Let’s hope it means we can get away with one if we need to balance things up.

Stick Origi on in the last ten mins and get Thiago to hit long balls up to him that he can fly towards with both feet and maybe ‘accidentally’ catch Pickford with. Doesn’t matter he gets sent off for one, get one more bit of cult hero status in. 

On the plus side the performance has been worlds apart from the last game. Henderson's energy back in the team and Thiago's witchcraft are making a lot of difference, plus the press all over the pitch seems to be back. Definitely could have had more than one. Can't believe Van Dijk gets taken out when Matip is finally fit again. Doomed to never have our first choice defense to try and mitigate Adrian's impact a bit.

I know it's unlikely, and it won't make any difference for today, but I hope they retroactively ban Pickford for that, it's a fucking awful tackle, and Van Dijk was lucky to walk away from it.

That aside, it's been an entertaining enough game. Hopefully we can go back out and thrash them now. They shouldn't need much more motivation for it.

8 minutes ago, ryodi said:

So as long as it’s not violent conduct you can do whatever you like when an offside is given. Which feels like an oversight in the law to me.

I'm fairly certain if I did that on the street, it'd be classed as violent conduct. Scissoring a guy halfway up the leg isn't a reasonable action in a football match, either.