Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

Just finished dinner then looked at the score. Had a double take. An actual shake of the head I'm reading that wrong those numbers aren't right. Is getting that lead so early impressive or worrying if Liverpool claw it back. 

The lack of pressure and anxiety from the crowd has to be changing something, even if we think of the crowd as a positive in terms of giving players encouragement. Away from vs home form has always been a thing for teams, but it never seems to make much sense which way it goes.

edit: this should be in the football thread really. Ultimately it's good for the league if Liverpool aren't so dominating.

I've said for a long time that Adrian is nowhere near good enough and he's proved that again. Hasn't he made mistakes leading to goals in 4 out of his last 5 matches now or something?

The rest of the team have been appalling too, to be fair. Gomez seems to be modelling himself on David Luiz at the moment - when he's good he's very good, but otherwise he's a liability. Van Dijk hasn't been that real authority at the back for a little while now, either.

Ah well, Villa are thoroughly deserving of their lead and, in truth, should have had 6 by now if Barclay hadn't missed his (relatively) easy chances.

Liverpool midfield have been passengers throughout the half, the press has been non existent so the ball in behind has been on every single time.

Every single player apart from Robertson has been below what would be expected.

Stick Fabinho at the back, take Gomez off and bring on Henderson. Try to at least claw back a goal or two early in the half.

He wasn't offside for the build up of their third goal either, I don't know why Klopp was getting animated about it. Well, I do, but he was clearly onside.

Just now, bradigor said:

To be honest, a hiding like this might be good for us. Shows we need to find that work rate again and can't just expect to beat teams.

I said at the end of last season when the form was very patchy that it could lead to a hangover into this season, and I think it has. I don't want to think it's complacency and that some of the players think they've "made it" but perhaps there's a little bit of that there?

Just now, Gabe said:

I said at the end of last season when the form was very patchy that it could lead to a hangover into this season, and I think it has. I don't want to think it's complacency and that some of the players think they've "made it" but perhaps there's a little bit of that there?

They underestimated Villa and thought it would be an easy game, no game is easy in this league.

Just now, Gabe said:

Well on the bright side, we probably won't win the title but are going to see a lot of goals in our games!

You're just human now like everyone else. You'll still win the title with 89 points or something I think. 

Just read this on guardian min by min

JR in Illinois writes: “What in fresh hell is going on on this planet right now? The world began going insane in 2016 with Leicester winning the Premier League followed by the Brexit vote followed by the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series for the first time in 108 years and finally the U.S. presidential election. With all that’s happening now it feels like the end of the world could be just about upon us.”

It would make me laugh if Everton won the title. Like Leicester it would need all the other big teams to have an off season. But it shows people could do well with not declaring things based on what's happened in the past all the time. 

9 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Liverpool midfield have been passengers throughout the half, the press has been non existent so the ball in behind has been on every single time.

Absolutely this. Liverpool at full throttle win almost all the second balls in the middle of the pitch. The opposition hardly get a chance to play through balls in behind our defence. But Villa are winning those balls time and time again. It’s not Gomez and Van Dijk at fault, it’s those in front of them.

1 minute ago, gospvg said:

They underestimated Villa and thought it would be an easy game, no game is easy in this league.

I really don't think it's that, I can't imagine the standards Klopp sets would allow that to creep in.

I do think teams are getting better at targeting the high defensive line - we saw it in the Chelsea game (a little), a bit more in the Arsenal game and here too. It doesn't help that Adrian just isn't anywhere near good enough, though I've had that discussion in here a few times over the last few months.