Jump to content

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Keiths_Dad said:

 

Give credit to Leeds though, they were great. If they can keep that up, and they can cut out some of the errors, they could push for Europe this season.

Bear in mind Leeds defensive partnership was a new signing and an under 23 so has never played together. They looked much better second half.

 

Fair result I think. Nice that we weren't embarrassed, shame we couldn't hold on for a draw though. I was surprised by the lapses in the Liverpool defence.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The defence has been sleeping for since July.

 

Was watching bits of the Everton game yesterday (they actually looked pretty good, completely different to last season) and felt a small pang of jealousy that even they are going out and spending a fair chunk of cash. They had to, of course (like most teams), but even so...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gabe said:

The defence has been sleeping for since July.

 

Was watching bits of the Everton game yesterday (they actually looked pretty good, completely different to last season) and felt a small pang of jealousy that even they are going out and spending a fair chunk of cash. They had to, of course (like most teams), but even so...

 

:lol: Give in

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leeds was the sort of game I could watch all season. Let's have a fun one before the league is scrapped in December. 

 

We looked threatening going forward and had Trent and Henderson back who Jane not had any pre season games.

 

3 points, lots of goals, yes please.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There must be something up with Brewster for Klopp up not want to keep him. I'm not sure where he fits in the current system so maybe it's that? Maybe it's something else like attitude or that he simply isn't good enough.

 

Reading the Guardian article it sounded like Klopp pushed the club to get it sorted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems we've paid £5m upfront, with £15m more  to go in installments. And a further £5m in bonuses if we win things, or if Thiago gets a Balloon d'or. What a deal!

 

HE'S DONE IT AGAIN.

 

HE'S DONE IT AGAAAIIINNN!

 

MICHAEL EDWARDS.

 

HE'S DONE IT AGAIN.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh if someone is to go I'd rather we tried to sell on Keita and keep wijnaldum.  Keita just hasn't done anything at all in the time he's been here.  He always looks just a yard or 2 behind the game.  If we didn't need the money it wouldn't matter so much, just keep him to see if he works out but he's a rigid centre midfield so can't even fit in like Ox or Milner in other positions and there are now multiple better options for his position.

 

Brewster I worry about selling because he's club home grown and we'll need those more and more, plus up front is an area we lack real striker depth.  I'm surprised me haven't been more keen to take offers for Grujic or Wilson who are considerably older and less likely to make a push for the first team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a rather sharp shock to the industry that has wiped out a massive source of income for the club. TV money has to be paid back and there is no guaranteed timeline to suggest when normality will resume, if at all.

 

Would any business, under those circumstances, make investments that are predicated on the existing economic model of the business when there is no guarantee of a return to the old operating methods?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tenrou said:

Tbh if someone is to go I'd rather we tried to sell on Keita and keep wijnaldum.  Keita just hasn't done anything at all in the time he's been here.  He always looks just a yard or 2 behind the game.  If we didn't need the money it wouldn't matter so much, just keep him to see if he works out but he's a rigid centre midfield so can't even fit in like Ox or Milner in other positions and there are now multiple better options for his position.

 

Brewster I worry about selling because he's club home grown and we'll need those more and more, plus up front is an area we lack real striker depth.  I'm surprised me haven't been more keen to take offers for Grujic or Wilson who are considerably older and less likely to make a push for the first team.

 

This post makes me question if you've actually seen Keita play, given that he's been good for a little while now and is a more attack-minded midfielder (something we don't have a lot of).

 

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

There has been a rather sharp shock to the industry that has wiped out a massive source of income for the club. TV money has to be paid back and there is no guaranteed timeline to suggest when normality will resume, if at all.

 

Would any business, under those circumstances, make investments that are predicated on the existing economic model of the business when there is no guarantee of a return to the old operating methods?

 

 

There was a post a couple of pages ago which went in to more detail, but essentially the club has a lot of expenses and has seen the increase in wages and bonuses outstrip revenue. It's not really a covid thing though, we've had to sell to buy for a good few years now, but that will obviously have an impact now too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mike said:

Didn’t we also build the new training ground without using loans, taking up a load of the prize money we’ve gotten? 


Yeah, the new site in Kirkby is north of £50m. Commercial revenue has increased dramatically under FSG, but so have wages and investment in facilities.

 

As Adrock suggests, losing around £100m in matchday revenue is going to hit hard. Chelsea, shopping like Michael Jackson in Harrod’s, have two transfer windows of money to spend, further offset by the fee they received for Eden Hazard. Bit like Ali and VVD arriving after Coutinho’s departure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't agree with the Keita has been good part but that's why I'd sell home on as I don't see him with a place in the first 11 with thiago there.  Time will tell how that one works out though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.