Sign in to follow this  
smithstock

The Crew - PS4/Xbox One/PC

Crew.jpg

Details

• Next gen open world driving
  • Early 2014
  • Always online
  • Made in collaboration between Ivory Tower (Test Drive Unlimited) and Reflections (Driver SF)
  • Confirmed for PS4 and Xbox One
  • Seamless online experience
  • America is your playground
  • Competitive Skill Challenges
  • Four player missions
  • Variety of mission types
  • Police chases
  • RPG Elements and car customisation
  • Licensed vehicles
Videos

E3 Walkthrough

The Crew - E3 Joystiq

The Crew - E3 IGN

The Crew - E3 Gametrailers All Access Road Trip

The Crew - When Burnout meets the MMO

Thoughts?

• Upvote 3

Definitely the kind of racer I've been after for a while - properly open world (not just one big racetrack - this has cross-country and shit), fun rather than po-faced, cross-America racing, chases and takedowns. Sounds great, especially if they're working with the people who made TDU and Driver SF.

The handling didn't look totally my cup of tea in the demo, but with Reflections on board I have faith.

Reflections aren't actually the lead studio on this one, rather a team called Ivory Tower that are based in Lyon (I assume Ubisoft already had a major office there). Many of its members are ex-Eden Studios, or at least according the Technical Director I spoke to at, during E3. He worked on the Test Drive games.

Some off-screen gameplay, only with direct feed audio:

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's an interesting one this. I'll post some impressions here later on as well if people would like that.

You did this in the Driveclub thread. Don't tease your impressions, just post them! :)

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_preview_the_crew-14261_en.html

Good preview write up for anyone interested in the next gen's testdrive unlimited.

All sounds brilliant, apart from this:

To put it bluntly, the sensations are better behind a wheel than with a gamepad, and not just because of the whole moving cockpit. It's not that using a controller makes the game any less fun, it's just that the game feels more realistic with a wheel, which is not a surprise considering all the driving assists are automatically off when playing this way. Although colleagues seemed to have a hard time keeping a decent trajectory with the wheel, we did a pretty good job overall, if it weren't for those few instances when we lost control of the car in a curve. The pleasure really came from the fact that you had to fight with the wheel to handle your vehicle, not to say that the handling was difficult by any means.

But like we said, it is a lot more arcadey when playing with a controller.

Again, the explanation for that is quite simple. The developers told us that they had decided to force players to drive with driving aids with a gamepad instead of offering multiple handling types as in TDU, all this to keep a certain balance in multiplayer. The driving aids are supposed to compensate for the lack of precision of a stick compared to a wheel. We can't help but feel a bit disappointed by this decision, as not everyone can afford to buy a good driving wheel, but we take comfort in the fact that the controls are still enjoyable in spite of that (and who knows, the team might have a change of heart).

Terrible decision, if they stick with it.

Well, GRID 2 did essentially the same, omitting customizable assists. It works fine in that game, but only because the default handling doesn't feel like it's held back by invisible assists. They may still be there, but aren't as prominently present in the background, if you catch my drift.

Here's hoping Ivory Tower does the same for The Crew. I always played TDU (1 and 2) with assists switch off, despite using a pad. The handling in both games never really leant itself to drifting, but controlling the cars went fine otherwise.

Here's hoping Ivory Tower does the same for The Crew. I always played TDU (1 and 2) with assists switch off, despite using a pad. The handling in both games never really leant itself to drifting, but controlling the cars went fine otherwise.

Hopefully with some Reflections dudes on the team we'll get heavier, Driver-style handling.

So where are those impressions your promised?

Hopefully with some Reflections dudes on the team we'll get heavier, Driver-style handling.

So where are those impressions your promised?

Work, man! I haven't even gotten around to writing my impressions in Dutch (which I do for some media outlets next to my day job). But I promise I'll translate those into English once I've jotted them down.

Having played this at Gamescom yesterday, it looked a lot better than before (E3) :) Car models and environments are next-gen worthy, though there's still some pop-up (including pedestrians sudding appearing on crossings) and rendering issues.

Had an awesome cross-country raid race, battling two others and ploughing through corn fields as a crop plane flew over low. The handling model is a bit dodgy though, using from the 'pivot' kind of steering. You don't notice it from the inside of a car, but it just looks a bit silly to see a car change direction from the outside with the wheels suddenly shifting tenths of degrees.

Also, the assists issue mentioned earlier (forcing pad users to assists) was denied by the game director when I asked him. It wasn't possible to turn anything off during the demo though, and when I asked again, he didn't really get my point. "It'll be like Test Drive Unlimited", he said. "Test Drive Unlimited had changeable levels of TCS", I replied. "Ah, but we won't have that then", he said. Right.

Still, speaking of it, this is shaping up to be a worthy successor to Test Drive Unlimited - with added team play and modding possibilities. I'm actually glad it won't come out before Spring 2014, as I prefer the guys investing some more time to polish everything :)

• Upvote 1

Played this at GamesCom and I thought it was a bit rubbish. Graphically looked good but the handling was absolutely awful! I felt like I was in ice at times and it just felt unresponsive.

Inside view had this weird thing where it looked into the corner for you and while it might sound good it felt a bit disorienting for me and meant undershot a lot of the corners.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it as I like the premise and its got potential. Need to sort the handling out though for sure.