Guacamelee - Colourful "Dia de los muertos" themed Metroidvania (PS3/PSV cross-buy)

Moz

I've been playing it this morning on Vita. It's a lot of fun so far, although the timing for combos is a little odd to my fingers. It largely doesn't matter yet.

I've just done the bit from the first screenshot, and now I'm off to a desert-themed area.

Played it a fair bit more tonight. Got turned into a chicken, then got into a fight with loads of flaming armadillos.

Really enjoying it so far. Good job, Drinkbox.

Spainkiller - About A Blob was pretty shit, I thought. But I can't remember why. It's very similar to Attacks.

Liquid Myth and I have been going through this, but it's...dull. Going through the motions and all that. Shit load of boring references like Borderlands (if you actually chortled during that one then you'd probably love this), it's not as tight as it could be and it isn't very hard.

Uugh.

Anybody finished this? I'm really stuck on a jumping section in the

Sierra Morena

level. You have to jump off a floating platform upwards and to the right, between two horizontal insta-death red pulsing vines a jump and a half above you, and make it to a landing platform a good distance further away. Every combination of two jumps, dragon punch (rooster uppercut) and dashing derpderp have been tried but I can't get close to the landing platform. It's also just after some really irritating Goat Climbing where you have to "dodge" through two pieces of the death vines as you're rushing upwards. It's all very pixel-perfect annoyance and thumb juggling, and tbh I'm close to gibbing it. Also no video walkthroughs of this so far on YT either.

The only thing I'm thinking is that I appear to still have one skill locked - but as I've pretty much 100% every other area, I have no idea what or where that statue could be (assume I get it later in this area).

So, any help?

Yeah, that had me beat for a while. Nearly gave up, then I figured out

you have to go underneath it. I think it's a jump, then a derpderp, then an uppercut, and finally a jump onto the platform. The first two might be the other way around but I'm pretty sure you uppercut just after the vines have ended and then jump up right at the end. Even knowing how to do it, it took me about five attempts on the second time around (I died immediately afterwards before I'd reached the next checkpoint and it sent me back so I had to do it all over again).

Yeah, that had me beat for a while. Nearly gave up, then I figured out

you have to go underneath it. I think it's a jump, then a derpderp, then an uppercut, and finally a jump onto the platform. The first two might be the other way around but I'm pretty sure you uppercut just after the vines have ended and then jump up right at the end. Even knowing how to do it, it took me about five attempts on the second time around (I died immediately afterwards before I'd reached the next checkpoint and it sent me back so I had to do it all over again).

I went between them - I think it's a jump, a dash, an uppercut then a jump. It's incredibly fiddly - and so pixel perfect I wasn't certain that was the way you were supposed to go. But also do watch out - there's an energy-draining bit immediately after, and like Chris I had to do it again immediately. Make sure you complete the jump with half energy, I guess.

That said, as fiddly as that bit is, it's an excellent game. Those of you who think it's easy: it does definitely get harder.

Man, there's a ton of references in this. I've seen nods to Mario, Link, Metroid, Grim Fandango, Castle Crashers, Super Meat Boy (among others that don't immediately spring to mind) and a host of internet memes besides. As bm says, it definitely gets harder. Just taken down what I think is the penultimate boss and it must have taken me close to a dozen attempts.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with this. My first cross play game too, and I'm finding that works a treat. Played a few hours before dinner on the PS3, picked it up in bed later on that evening. The idea of being able to do this with every PS4 game is pure solid win. :)

I really like how you have to use the combat special moves to help you get around the platforming sections. A good level of comedy in there too, some of it is very cliche, though whether that's intended or not is hard to say really

Is there a demo? Judging by the videos I don't think I'll like this, but with all these glowing reports...

As far as Metroidvanias go, I much prefer it to Shadow Complex. It has way more style and character, better combat and it's just more fun. The music is rather nice as well.

Ah, wondered if there was a thread - came here to post some screen shots myself. Lovely game, full of clichés and Internet memes with great music and layers upon layers of Luchador crazy, who's acrobat wrestling style suit the needs of a platformer well.

I hadn't paid too much attention to it (I didn't realise it was a Metroidvania, LOL'd at the tongue-in-cheek references at the first skill), if I'm honest, but watching the trailer (and having a small PSN+ discount!) helped. The cross-play is some kind of magic too, and suits both platforms well. And it has been ages since my last Metroidvania play through :D

Does it give you a warning or anything if you attempt to download a cloud save which is older than the one on the system already? I've been playing it on both and had to faff about with checking save creation times earlier as I couldn't remember which format I'd finished playing on and was worried it might overwrite my game otherwise.