Chvrches

futureshock

• 2 years later...
On 09/03/2019 at 22:08, ryodi said:

The orchestra sucks the energy out of the song for me but it's still a good version.

The Hansa Sessions EP version is similar .  If you haven't listened to it, I recommend giving the EP a spimn (it's on Spotify), but then I'm a bit of a sucker for strings...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2021 at 10:30, Lovelyman said:

Picked up tickets to see them next year in Brixton :D

Woot!

Anyway for those of us who gigs are largely a fond and distant pre children world related memory...Screen Violence is out at the end of the month.

I wasn't terribly enamoured by flyer single He Said/She Said but the Cure collaboration and the infectious Good Girls have me properly excited for the full album now.

God I love this band - not jealous honest  

I think he said she said is great. Took a few listens. 

We also have to find a babysitter for the gig. 

I'm excited for screen violence. 

I hope some of the psychedelic stuff in how not to drown seeps into the other tracks. 

6 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

I think he said she said is great. Took a few listens. 

We also have to find a babysitter for the gig. 

I'm excited for screen violence. 

I hope some of the psychedelic stuff in how not to drown seeps into the other tracks. 

Yeah I can see how it will be a grower, it just didn't grab me on the initial few listens and it lacks the hooks you would normally associate with a Chvrches chorus.  I still think they'd have been better to lead with Good Girls.

How not to drown is proper disintegration meets pop electronica - I too would like to see that oppressive darkness infect more of the album.

We only have baby sitting facilities about 6 times a year so tying them to a tour is near on impossible - mind you convincing Mrs Dream that I'm desperate to see them because I love the music as opposed to having a massive crush on Lauren would probably be a little tricky in any event   

I'm looking forward to the new album, but I thought Love is Dead was a bit meh. I did like How Not To Drown though, and clearly need to listen to He Said, She Said more. I didn't realise they'd put out a third, so I'll give that a listen today. :D

On 24/07/2021 at 10:30, Lovelyman said:

Picked up tickets to see them next year in Brixton :D

Nice! I saw them in Birmingham back in the before times, and they were fantastic live.

• 3 weeks later...

Screen Violence is up on all the major streaming services now.

First impression is it indeed very good, much darker and closer to their earlier material than Love is Dead. Surprising amount of guitar on many of the tracks for a synth band mind.

California and Final Girl are the standouts from a first listen aside from the singles but the second half of the album is very strong in general.

I listened to it earlier in the car, but want to go through it again without all the noise. The opening track was the standout for me on a first listen, but that usually means it's just the most immediate. I like it a lot more than Love Is Dead already, and it's certainly a lot darker.

Too many guitars. Much better than Love is Dead which had no memorable tunes on it at all. Not a patch on the first two albums. I want the synthesisers back. 

This is like when the Human League (ask your mum) stopped using synths only. 

6/10

Listened a few times now, to the point where the non singles are starting to reveal the goodness.

I think it's good, probably still room to grow a bit. Loving the horror vibe.

Small criticisms. Some lyrics are a bit too 'obvious' rhyming.

And I would have cut Lullabies. I think it screws with the atmosphere and is probably the weakest track.

So a couple more listens…yeah it might be their best album (and this is coming from someone who really liked Love is Dead, I mean no tunes really? It’s a record with more hooks than the average fisherman).

Anyway this is a record that owes a massive amount to the Cure (and that’s ignoring the actual song with Robert Smith on it). I mean that bass line on California and the guitar lick on Final Girl, its pretty explicit.

I think my first impressions were fairly accurate actually. There’s clearly another couple of singles here and the second half of the album is stronger than the opening few tracks. Darker and more guitar everywhere yes but melodically this is the closest they have been to their debut since erm well The Bones…

Mind you I quite liked the Human Leagues flirtation with guitars…The Lebanon is a great song (awful amateur politically aware attempts from a pop band aside).

I really like Lullabies so definitely wouldn’t have cut it but He said She said seems an even more curious choice of first single given the company it keeps. 

So I ended up with 3 preorders* for this, then listened on Amazon music when it launched as I had to physically collect 2 of them and was working Friday, and the 3rd only just arrived this morning.

With Chvrches, I feel I've fallen into the old 'fanboy' trap as there isn't much they can do that I don't love.

(I guess their new cover of Echo And The Bunnymen ‘s ‘The Killing Moon’ falls short of the original, and Bury It (feat. Hayley Williams of Paramore) is as good if not better without Hayley ). 

This is probably helped along by my 7 year old asking Alexa to play Chvrches almost every day as she gets ready for bed.

On the flip side, when they started teasing Love Is Dead I felt they were heading in a direction I wasn't certain was for me.

This however, I've got on with from the word go.  I love the Cure influence throughout, and the added darkness is somehow more fitting.

Asking For A Friend, California, Lullabies are the 3 songs I can see myself binging on in the not too distant (the indulgent type, not the search engine...)

As it turns out, He Said She Said is the weak point for me.

Better If You Don't gives me that hair standing on end feeling that leads to my only real complaint.  It can do with being a bit longer :lol:

*I preordered the CD from the official site to get presales access for tickets to the arena tour, to which I got tickets for Edinburgh Corn Exchange, and Newcastle o2 City Hall.

Then they announced an intimate set here in Dundee, but the ticket only was sold out, and I needed 2 tickets, so bought the the vinyl and the CD again, which was an utter bargain incidentally, 14 quid for the CD and a gig ticket!

13 hours ago, Corranga said:

I guess their new cover of Echo And The Bunnymen ‘s ‘The Killing Moon’ falls short of the original

It’s a perfectly serviceable and pretty accurate cover, but it’s ultimately pointless. No one would ever choose it over the original, which, let’s be honest, is one of the greatest songs of all time, Ian McCulloch’s vocal is astonishing, Will Sergeant’s guitar sublime. There will never be a version that comes within a mile of theirs. One for live shows and the like, maybe, but as a recording it’s flat as a pancake. 

It's definitely a grower, this. I think it might be their most consistent album so far, as as much as I like Bones I think that album has more of a gap in quality between the best and worst tracks. There's nothing in Screen Violence that I think I'd want to skip.

I'm glad Chvrches are trying different things too. I wasn't a big fan of Love is Dead, but both that and Screen Violence are quite different from their first two albums.

Yeah it's a grower. I think it was hard to judge originally because the three singles were so well known to me any the rest of the songs didn't feel like they sit right. 

But now I know the other songs I really like them too!

Was waiting for the release of this for ages, and was not disappointed at all, the best compliment I can give is every song I play I’m like “yeah that’s def my fav track on the album” and then the next song comes on and I’m all “ok that’s my fav song” and this cycle just repeats till the album ends,