Sign in to follow this  
Monkeyboy

The Jack Reacher Thread

I must have missed this thread at the time, but on our last holiday I came across two Reacher books left in places we stayed - One Shot and Tripwire. I enjoyed them both, except for One Shot flagrantly plagiarising Enemy at the Gates, but my favourite part was the end of Tripwire where 

Spoiler

Reacher survives because he's dug so many swimming pools over the summer that he's buff to the point of being bulletproof.

That was proper amazing. I haven't read one since, to my shame. I must try to set that right.

Earlier this year I read Without Fail and came away disappointed. It felt like a very long intro with a few plot points put in to keep interest but nothing more. Plus it was a good 100 pages too long, could have done with a bit of a trim. Maybe it's just me but it felt like a misstep.

Anybody reading Past Tense? Currently near the end and it's definitely one of my favourites in the series now.

Quite impressed with how Lee Child keeps the books and Reacher himself interesting (though I'm sure some may disagree). I love the books as pure escapist nonsense, may have to start again from the beginning!

Just finished Past Tense.  After a couple of still reasonably decent outings, I really enjoyed this one.    It's a little derivative of some other stories - something he's done before to be honest - but the two main mysteries were pretty good and came together nicely.  By the end I also cared for characters who weren't Reacher which isn't something Child normally manages to pull off.

On 21 November 2018 at 13:40, keineboom said:

Anybody reading Past Tense? Currently near the end and it's definitely one of my favourites in the series now.

Quite impressed with how Lee Child keeps the books and Reacher himself interesting (though I'm sure some may disagree). I love the books as pure escapist nonsense, may have to start again from the beginning!

I did a re-read from the beginning and about half way through the series found one I'd never read before!!