Jump to content

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt


Recommended Posts

On 17/07/2020 at 23:22, Hylian said:

What about the mini map? Is it at all feasible to play without it and the GPS tracking? Or does that way lie madness? 

 

I'm towards the end (of the main quest now), and despite flagging towards the middle and almost throwing in the towel, I instead forged ahead and am really glad I did. Firstly, regarding the minimap, I turned off completed things appearing there, and that was enough. Honestly, there are plenty of missions where you aren't given great directions, and generally your compelled to either follow the minimap or follow the red trail, so you do need to keep that minimap on.

 

Some advice from a newb-

In White Orcahrd you can do everything before you leave and never return. This is not true of Velen! You will return there later so leave a chunk of the south to do upon return (if you're trying to do everything). The NE of the map is for the Hearts of Stone DLC, which is excellent, but save it until you're at least level 30. Doing the main quest shoots you up levels, so if you're bored, just plough on with the main quest and then do HoS. Generally the best quests are secondary quests given from people you meet on the main quest, so you can't miss getting them, but can miss doing them. At the start of the game you need to loot everything for money, by the midpoint you'll have more money than time so you can cut back on the looting. Just buy flowers from herbalists.  When in a tavern buy the ingredients for White Gull and make as much of it as you can (not sure where the recipe is). Ignore the ? on the Skellige map.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Firstly, regarding the minimap, I turned off completed things appearing there, and that was enough. Honestly, there are plenty of missions where you aren't given great directions, and generally your compelled to either follow the minimap or follow the red trail, so you do need to keep that minimap on.

Thanks. So does that mean, keep the GPS dotted line on? I've turned it off and while I'm still pottering about White Orchard, it does feel a bit better, like I'm actually noticing where the buildings are, starting to build up a mental map, rather than just following a GPS tracker and ignoring the scenery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Thanks. So does that mean, keep the GPS dotted line on? I've turned it off and while I'm still pottering about White Orchard, it does feel a bit better, like I'm actually noticing where the buildings are, starting to build up a mental map, rather than just following a GPS tracker and ignoring the scenery. 

I have it turned on, but tend to ignore it. Largely because I’m often heading to the custom marker and there’s no dotted line for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Into Velen and the start of the Bloody Baron quest (this feels like start of the game proper). Enjoying it so far and concentrating a bit more on the alchemy, crafting, inventory this time around (I played a good 10-15 hours last time). Definitely a good call to play on "hard". Got my ass handed to me a few times but I'm getting to grips with it now and am mashing up bandits and wolf packs no problem now. It feels like a dangerous world though, which I never really got on normal. 

 

One thing I'm puzzled by is the advice to "turn off POI - ?", which was general advice here and seems elsewhere online. But... You can't actually do that can you? I can open up the map and filter them out, but if you reopen the map they are there again. It defaults the filter to "All". Am I missing something? 

 

Definitely a good idea to turn off the GPS routing. Enjoying the travel now as I can just head in a general direction and take in the world a bit more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm properly into this now. Just mooching about Velen doing side quests and clearing bandit camps etc. Next objective is to kill the werewolf near Crookbag Bog but after half a dozen attempts with a damaged sword I gave up. I know what I need to do I just need to get properly prepped for it. Is it right that I have a single silver sword and lots of steel swords? I could really do with a spare silver sword but the only craftable ones are at level 12 (I'm 7). Quite good this game... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hylian said:

I feel like I'm properly into this now. Just mooching about Velen doing side quests and clearing bandit camps etc. Next objective is to kill the werewolf near Crookbag Bog but after half a dozen attempts with a damaged sword I gave up. I know what I need to do I just need to get properly prepped for it. Is it right that I have a single silver sword and lots of steel swords? I could really do with a spare silver sword but the only craftable ones are at level 12 (I'm 7). Quite good this game... 

 

I never bothered with multiples of any sword.  One silver, one steel, and repaired them every time I passed a blacksmith.

 

I can't remember what level the first set becomes available, but there are various sets of Witcher gear that you can craft when you get recipes, and upgrade later when you get better recipes.
Once I had the first one I just kept crafting / upgrading the next available set of witcher gear (inc silver and steel swords) as I levelled up, and never used any other kind of equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that for most of my play throughs, the Viper swords you can forge in White Orchard are pretty much the only ones I use until I get to Novigrad really. And then I tend to go off to find other school swords. I don't like to sully my guild by using other tat ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JoeK said:

I believe that for most of my play throughs, the Viper swords you can forge in White Orchard are pretty much the only ones I use until I get to Novigrad really. And then I tend to go off to find other school swords. I don't like to sully my guild by using other tat ;) 

 

Yep the Viper swords will probably do you until you can get Griffin ones at level 11ish (buy the treasure maps from someone in Novigrad, I think maybe the armorer on Hierarch Square?). If you've put runes in the Viper swords you can dismantle them to get the runes back, then put them in the new swords.

 

I have got a 'Beginners Tips' guide somewhere that I wrote for a mate a couple of years ago, I'll see if I can dig it out @Hylian

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2020 at 10:09, Hylian said:

In my latest adventures I helped the village idiot by talking to a grunting pig, killed the werewolf and then had a fight with a pulsating spiky ballsack in a talking tree. Quite good this game...

 

I was convinced that the ballsack was voiced by Werner Hertzog. Sounded bloody like him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carlospie said:

I want to love this game. I love the setting, the plot, I just hate how the character handles so much

Yeah, compared to modern games the movement and combat in this is... it's shit, especially on console. However, it's worth persevering with for the amazing stories throughout the game. If you find you're getting killed a lot then drop the difficulty. 

 

This is not a game to play for the gameplay - the death march nutters are just that, fucking nutters - it's a game to enjoy the rich world, characters, and many stories. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thor said:

This is not a game to play for the gameplay - the death march nutters are just that, fucking nutters - it's a game to enjoy the rich world, characters, and many stories. 

I would agree that its a weak part to the game, but I'm definitely finding the blood and bones (?) difficulty just right. Took on a Shreaker last night and it was a good battle. I was cursing the player movement a bit. Is it me or does the roll not come out sometimes? It's hardly bloodborne. Anyway, at level 8 I gave in and fast travelled for the first time, back to WO and picked up the silver sword I'd missed in the graveyard/Church. That made all the difference and beating the Shreaker did give me a little bit of that bloodborne feeling. Playing this actually makes me a bit excited for what Elden Ring might be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always found the combat to be really fun in this game. It’s not crap at all. That a massive disservice. 
mots slow and methodical and a lot of the fun comes in the preparation and switching approach, as The Fox outlined. 
Not every game has to have combat like Sekiro or something, it’s its own rewarding thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like sekiro. Though I do like Bloodborne. But you only have to look at Horizon Zero Dawn, and now Ghost of Tsushima, to see combat in an open world done right.

 

The combat in Witcher 3 is serviceable enough in its own right for the purposes of the game it's in. It's when compared to other games that the combat is shown up to be crap. Of course, Witcher 3 outclasses many of those games for storytelling and writing. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The combat isn't amazing but personally I do enjoy it on Death March. If you don't prepare with potions and oils, and concentrate on dodging properly, you'll get your arse kicked early on. It does get a lot easier though as you go on and your build and armour improve, but you still have to make sure you're using all your Witcher abilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't like sekiro. Though I do like Bloodborne. But you only have to look at Horizon Zero Dawn, and now Ghost of Tsushima, to see combat in an open world done right.

 

The combat in Witcher 3 is serviceable enough in its own right for the purposes of the game it's in. It's when compared to other games that the combat is shown up to be crap. Of course, Witcher 3 outclasses many of those games for storytelling and writing. :)

 

These are not RPGs though, are they?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Aren't they? 

 

Also, your question is invalid. The debate here is about combat in an open world. 


No, they are not rpgs. Comparing different genres makes little sense unless you are generalizing. You can’t compare GTA V driving and Forza Horizon driving because “you are comparing driving in open worlds”. W3’s combat is nothing special but it’s ok enough and, on higher difficulties, it becomes actually good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, your analogy there is a huge false equivalence. I'm not even going to touch that.

 

However, if you say those games aren't RPGs, then what are they? I'd argue that Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, many of the Assassin's Creeds (especially Odyssey), and indeed Witcher 3, all fall into the "action rpg" category, they are all very similar games in many ways.

 

What about Mass Effect? Everyone calls that a sci-fi RPG, from Bioware at their peak no less. However, it's essentially a third person shooter with RPG mechanics.

 

How about the forthcoming Cyberpunk? Is that an RPG, or an FPS? Word is the shooting in Cyberpunk is akin to Destiny, which has some of the best shooter gameplay mechanics in the history of the FPS genre. So is it an FPS with RPG mechanics?

 

It sounds to me that, because the games I am comparing the Witcher 3 to don't fit your interpretation of the term "role playing game" that said games should not be compared. I say that's foolish. In all the games I am comparing the Witcher 3 to, and indeed Witcher 3 itself, you assume the role of an already defined character, you embark on stories and quests in an open world where you can interact with many characters, and make dialogue choices and other choices that have an effect on the game as a whole. 

 

Is that not an RPG? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Oh man, your analogy there is a huge false equivalence. I'm not even going to touch that.

 

Ι think you should because I made it after you posted the completely illogical "combat in an open world" argument. Why is "driving in an open world" different as a generalization?

 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

However, if you say those games aren't RPGs, then what are they? I'd argue that Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, many of the Assassin's Creeds (especially Odyssey), and indeed Witcher 3, all fall into the "action rpg" category, they are all very similar games in many ways.

 

They are similar, not the same. Neither AC, Tsushima or HZD have any layered systems like skill combinations, items or huge variety of enemies and quest requirements. Your character doesn't progress in the RPG sense but he or she simple becomes better skilled or more tooled up. There are very little variations in these games in the combination of skills, special powers, potions, armor, weapons or a myriad other little things which make the combat as deep as that of a proper RPG and give you the sense of building and role playing your own style. The designs of the systems are very different. Stealth, for an example, is not a part of Witcher. 

 

There is a reason why complex RPGs have never had proper good real time battle systems and we end up with atrocities like Skyrim way too often. The most logical comparison you can make is with the Dark Souls games, but then they are built to do only thing, so it makes sense that they have a better combat system than any RPG of this style ever.

 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

How about the forthcoming Cyberpunk? Is that an RPG, or an FPS? Word is the shooting in Cyberpunk is akin to Destiny, which has some of the best shooter gameplay mechanics in the history of the FPS genre. So is it an FPS with RPG mechanics?

 

This makes no sense. Would Deus Ex be a shooter if it had amazing shooting mechanics? Genres are based on how they are designed. The fact that you can have good shooting in Cyberpunk doesn't make it like Call of Duty. Mass Effect is an action RPG because it is designed as such and uses abilities that you pick to develop your characters. But it's not an action cover shooter like Gears of War, although the similarities in this case are closer than the other games you mention.

 

I think you are approaching this way too superficially just to make a point. Again, I'm not saying that the W3 combat is amazing, but it certainly makes little sense to compare it to something like AC where nothing other than the proper level and a dagger is essentially needed to kill the enemies.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

we end up with atrocities like Skyrim

I stopped reading there. You and I clearly have very different interpretations of what an RPG is, especially a good one. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.