Utopia - 2nd series airs summer 2014. HBO to remake with David Fincher at the helm.

The CGI and effects in this were exceptional up until the last minute or two of the finale.

I'm on my phone so can't post spoilers but when someone falls backwards in a particular scene, it looks really shoddy. Like he's been plastered really badly over the original image. I'm maybe just nitpicking but for a show that combined CGI violence and blood splatter so fucking well, I can't work out why they let that half a second shot of dodgy CGI through. Otherwise, it was faultless.

Still, loved the show!

Watching Wilson's transformation this series has been a highlight for me; personifying the cold logic behind death was a great decision and it's executed so, so well. And he gets some great moments (e.g. pounds vs euros).

Edit - Agree with Simmy, the CGI for some of the gunfire is kind of crummy. I suppose it's cheaper and easier than squibs?

• 1 month later...

C4’s Utopia won’t return for series 3

A Channel 4 spokesperson told Den of Geek, "Utopia is truly channel-defining: strikingly original, powered by Dennis Kelly's extraordinary voice and brought to life in all its technicolor glory through Marc Munden's undeniable creative flair and vision, the team at Kudos delivered a series which has achieved fervent cult status over two brilliantly warped and nail-biting series. It also has the honour of ensuring audiences will never look at a spoon in the same way again. It’s always painful to say goodbye to shows we love, but it’s a necessary part of being able to commission new drama, a raft of which are launching on the channel throughout 2015.”

New drama can fuck off. I want more Arby. :quote:

I was thinking of starting to watch this, hate it when tv companies don't finish off a show properly.

Is it still worth watching or does it end on a cliffhanger?

If it wasn't so amazing I wouldn't be so gutted about this news. Probably the most unique thing on telly at the time.

Just catching up with s2 now and it's brilliant again so rather disappointed by this news. Watched e3 last night - "yeah, I don't think suicide is an option".

This is why we can't have dark and disturbingly nice things. Tw@s.

Presume you're referring to the hateful viewing public here; they are the problem of course. We need a variant of Janus that prevents people who can't appreciate good TV from breeding.
  • 3 months later...

Finished this and I've ended up a little torn about how I feel.

By the end of the second series I felt the stuff that was so shocking in the first series became routine. Arby and Paul, for example, went from terrifying to caricatures. Maybe you could argue that I'd gotten on board with the premise of the show by becoming desensitised to such awful things but I think it was more down to boredom. Also it's as if they just tried to be as edgy as possible at all times with one notable moment near the end coming to mind when a lady calls Jessica 'dear' and Jessica replies "Call me dear again and I'll rip your face off". Oh just be quiet. That moment would have been 100 times better if she'd given her an icy stare and the woman had scurried off. The show lost its edge by the end and it was more surprising to have a heated scene without someone getting killed than with.

The actress who played Jessica was so bad. So, so bad. From the moment she announced who she was in episode 1/2 (such a weird moment, was she meant to be staring into the camera?) she was never in any way convincing. Actually she was pretty good in the bit where she was being detained and sat perfectly still. Don't ask her to move, though.

Also, Ian was played by a pretty good actor but he was intensely irritating. He and Becky filled the roles of the relatable main characters but whereas she was charming and funny he was intensely bland, which as a combination shouldn't even be possible. He manages it, though. Blandness down your throat. She'd have gotten that train to get away from you and Grant even if she wasn't ill, mate.

And Grant went from being an interesting, seemingly multi-dimensional character to a boy just being naughty and then finally getting told off by his new mum (character arc!). You've had your fun shooting people and stealing knives, now go and clean your room.

Perhaps watching it all over a few days means I'm being a little unfair, but this sagged horribly in Series 2 before a decent final episode. And it became so contrived. Way too many coincidences and stupidness in Series 2. Fresh in memory is Jessica in her and Ian's masterplan at the end. We'll set the bin up here to block his car for a second. Ok, now I'll stand 100 metres away with my pistol oh no he got away. Jessica to Ian, operation stand behind a post with a knife is go.

Lots of great ideas but also lots of poor execution I thought. I'm very interested to see what HBO do with it. To end on a positive I thought it looked great for the most part. Refreshing to have bright vivid colours in such a dark story instead of grey and brown.

I watched this pretty recently too, and I agree with that. I thought Series 1 was really strong and self-contained little tale with loads of interesting and tense set pieces, beautiful cinematography and an interesting cast of unknown actors.

Series 2 felt awkward from the first episode - rehashing a bunch of lore that we'd already knew and shoehorning it awkwardly into historical events? Bringing characters back from the dead? There were a few interesting sequences and nice moments, but overall it all blended together and I'd struggle to remember any of it.

• 3 years later...

Given the dire state of conspiracy fiction coming out of the US I don't hold out much hope either. The tone of this was something entirely new, and it seemed like a magic trick that it never lost that on the road to revelation and explanation.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just give Dennis Kelly all of that money to make a season 3. The artist formerly known as Kerraig was bang on when he said the Britishness was a key part of what made Utopia so weird. 

Stupid. 

The trailer looks horrible , maybe it will be popular and we will finally get a third season though. 

I think I may just rewatch the original.

• 1 month later...

I’ve just watched episode 1. It’s ok, and if I’d not seen the original I’d be intrigued. I’ll keep watching, but it doesn’t have the visual style of its forbear, and I’ll have to wait and see with the character portrayals.

Spoiler

New Arby and Lee (or Rod as he’s known now) have a lot to live up to and, based on this episode, are far behind Neil Maskell and Paul Ready‘s disturbing versions)

The soundtrack, while vaguely riffing on the original, is not a patch on it.

Yeah, first one is fine I suppose. Plays out exactly as you'd expect an American version to play out - instead of meeting at a Comic shop they meet at Comic Con etc. But I'll probably not watch more. It just made me want to rewatch the original.