The FA Cup Thread

That'd be nothing to do with the Mansfield game, that be because he's a cheat and a scumbag. ;)

The world loves to have a villain, and as Kim Jong-un is currently too quiet, Suarez has to fill in.

That's kind of what I was getting at, he already has this hatred towards him from so many (maybe deservedly so - I'm not going to pretend he's a saint) so because it was him involved it's easy for people to jump to the assumption that he must have meant to handle the ball and cheat, whereas had someone else done it they would have (perhaps) got the benefit of the doubt.

The commentators making a deal out of his usual celebration did nothing to help.

Ah well, it's been a while since the last Suarez hatefest so I guess we were all due one.

The word cunt is banded about far too easily in this thread. He's a cunt cause he apparently dives too much, doesn't own up when a ball hits his hand and because he moans a lot....really?!

You know what though, he loves playing football and he never celebrates like he is some sort of god or arrogant fuck. I can think of a few players over the years that deserve the name cunt a little more than he does!

He knows he does too, he's even said in interviews that when he's on the pitch he's a different person to life outside the game.

I see the papers are on their witch hunt with him today, all showing him kissing his hand/wrist. Pathetic journalism, especially when the vast majority of us know that's his usual celebration.

I doubt any of them put in their articles that Cox (Mansfields manager) said he did nothing wrong and roles reverses they'd have taken it. Like I said, I thought it was a hand ball but every team in the country and all their fans would have taken it had it been them. The one difference is that it's Luis Suarez.

Anyway, shall we talk about the next round?.....

Apart from the racism thing. As for jumping to the conclusion that he handballed it, it isn't a one-off, he has got form.

Lets face it, he plays the role of pantomime villain to complete perfection.

Yes but cunt?! Maybe it's my definition of the word but very players deserve being called that.

The word cunt is banded about far too easily in this thread. He's a cunt cause he apparently dives too much, doesn't own up when a ball hits his hand and because he moans a lot....really?!

You know what though, he loves playing football and he never celebrates like he is some sort of god or arrogant fuck. I can think of a few players over the years that deserve the name cunt a little more than he does!

Because he pulls people's hair, because he got Ghana knocked out of the world cup by cheating, because he bit someone, because he dives.. yes, he's a cunt. Yes, really.

Regardless of who I support, it's despicable behaviour, not that you mentioned the biting or hair pulling. Sure they missed the penalty, but the ball was going in and should've been a goal. I don't believe taking the rap like that for the handball is fair, regardless of any punishment the person gets.

We've had our share of cunts and I don't defend them.

Oh yeah the biting is odd to say the least, not heard about the hair pulling though.

That's fair enough then if your beliefs are that way, personally I think it's more instinctive to stop the ball on the line with your hand but if chosen to do it on purpose then you know you will get punished. It's similar to defenders who blatantly foul a striker when on goal, they know they will be sent off but it's a chance worth taking if they stop them scoring.

It was Gyans fault

Regardless of who I support, it's despicable behaviour, not that you mentioned the biting or hair pulling. Sure they missed the penalty, but the ball was going in and should've been a goal. I don't believe taking the rap like that for the handball is fair, regardless of any punishment the person gets.

We've had our share of cunts and I don't defend them.

Did you think Valencias dive at Anfield was despicable?

Lol he hand balled it on the line, they missed the penalty!! As a Man U fan, you should know about blatant handballs on the line as I can remember Scholes and Neville doing it to save goals!

It was Phil Neville in the Derby a few years ago, if Kuyt had missed the pen afterwards he would of been a hero

Did you think Valencias dive at Anfield was despicable?

It was Phil Neville in the Derby a few years ago, if Kuyt had missed the pen afterwards he would of been a hero

You don't really have such an inferiority complex that you have to mention United at EVERY turn, do you? ;)

Was a pretty clear handball, regardless if he meant it or not the ref should have spotted it. Wouldn't it have made some sense for him just to own up to it after the match? (Ala Henry after the Ireland match) Say it was accidental, expected the ref to overrule it, etc. I mean, don't these people have PR people working for them? Unless the panto villian thing is working for him, it which case it is pretty entertaining

That's fair enough then if your beliefs are that way, personally I think it's more instinctive to stop the ball on the line with your hand but if chosen to do it on purpose then you know you will get punished. It's similar to defenders who blatantly foul a striker when on goal, they know they will be sent off but it's a chance worth taking if they stop them scoring.

Something I'd like to see changed, too. I disagree with attempts to "game" the rulebook, but it's the rulebook that needs to adjust to dissuade players from doing it.

I think denial of obvious goalscoring opportunities should be punished with a penalty, regardless of whether or not they happen inside or outside the box. The "obvious" nature of the offence effectively ensures that it'll happen in or around the penalty area, so arbitrarily drawing the line eighteen yards out strikes me as giving needless advantage to the fouling side.

Deliberate hand ball on the line is a difficult one though, I'd like to stop short of penalty goals for the time being, and as many point out, if Gyan had scored the penalty just like many others do in a similar situation, Suarez's actions would have been a footnote of the tournament rather than a major story.

So, I light heartedly propose forcing the offender to play his chosen role of goalkeeper for the penalty kick.

You don't really have such an inferiority complex that you have to mention United at EVERY turn, do you? ;)

Just wondering what he thinks about that incident, even though Im pretty sure I already know the answer...

I imagine the press are pretty gutted with the Mansfield managers comments, "you fucked up my headline and the tone of my article you bastard!"

I'm sorry but if as a football fan you can't laugh at the absurdity of pulling another player's hair then you should probably find a hobby less offensive. If it happened the other way round, I'd laugh at how much of a pussy our player had been for reacting like Rafael did.

Remember when Dennis Wise stopped a player from running by grabbing the elastic of his shorts and holding it in front of the referee? But because everyone laughed, it was just cheeky. He did actually stop a breakaway though.

because he got Ghana knocked out of the world cup by cheating,

Oh God, not this again.

Surely Gyan missing the penalty is what knocked Ghana out of the competition. Sure what Suarez did was unsporting, but it's not as if he went unpunished for it. He sacrificed himself for the team. He handled that ball knowing full well that he'd be sent off, just to give his country a chance of surviving. He can't be blamed for Gyan missing. It's not like he handled the ball to set up a goal and going unpunished for it (Henry style).

I'm sorry but if as a football fan you can't laugh at the absurdity of pulling another player's hair then you should probably find a hobby less offensive. If it happened the other way round, I'd laugh at how much of a pussy our player had been for reacting like Rafael did.

I find it a bit odd he mentioned the hair pull first given the things the guy has done.

That said it wasn't the action itself that caused controversy, it's what it represented. Suarez was being a snidey, snivelling little cunt and trying to provoke a reaction that'd get his opponent in trouble.

Much like when he repeatedly called Evra a negro and pinched him, done not because he was being friendly or proof that he's racist but because he's a snide, snivelling little cunt that'll try to gain an advantage at any cost. Or that time in Holland when he seemingly went out to injure an opponent with a horror challenge then rolled around as if he was hurt. In a way it's ultra competitiveness and commendable but he takes it way too far and pays for it. Just like how the past few weeks the theme from commentators has been one of redemption and focus on his good play it'll all go back to his cheating and he'll not get a decision for another two months now.

The one thing I would say to the whole "it's only mentioned because it's Suarez narrative" is that the people stating this are often the exact same people in the football thread shouting corruption and highlighting anything Ferguson or his players do. If the decision goes against Utd and the manager kicks off talk is about the reaction of Fergie, nothing about the decision that caused it. If the decision goes for Utd and the opposition manager is up in arms, nothing is said about the reaction of the manager and all the talk is about lucky Utd or corruption. Thing is the moment that this doesn't happen is a pretty worrying sign that either club is irrelevant as it's only highlighted because the clubs are so big and popular so I take all the attention as a backhanded complement.

Just like how the past few weeks the theme from commentators has been one of redemption and focus on his good play it'll all go back to his cheating and he'll not get a decision for another two months now.

He's not had a decision for ages. Not sure which decisions he has been getting (apart from yesterday clearly).

Surely Gyan missing the penalty is what knocked Ghana out of the competition. Sure what Suarez did was unsporting, but it's not as if he went unpunished for it. He sacrificed himself for the team. He handled that ball knowing full well that he'd be sent off, just to give his country a chance of surviving. He can't be blamed for Gyan missing. It's not like he handled the ball to set up a goal and going unpunished for it (Henry style).

Both Suarez and Gyan are responsible, one as a direct result of the other. If Suarez doesn't punch the ball out, Ghana almost certainly win the game - this can't be simply ignored just because the penalty was missed. The main problem is really that Suarez was able to be in a position where he could gain a clear advantage by playing against the rules, with nothing to lose (he'd have missed out on the semi final if he didn't do it, by virtue of being knocked out).

We had a similar conversation on the board during the Olympics when various badminton teams were disqualified for deliberately playing to lose in order to get an easier draw later in the competition. We had one side arguing that they played according to the rules and that they were entitled to do whatever they felt increased their chances of a medal, and the other side arguing that it was against the spirit of the sport to do so.

I fall into the latter camp, but recognise that there's quite some difficulty in codifying a set of rules that cover every eventuality. In the Olympics example, I believe the right call was made, but I wouldn't advocate the ejection of Uruguay from the World Cup based on Suarez's actions alone, there's little alternative to the doled out punishment short of the can-of-worms opening "penalty goal" which I'm not convinced by, and such occasions are rarely so important as to require a potentially dramatic change to the laws of the game.

So we're left with a relatively freak occurrence. In that situation, some people will be unsporting and some people won't.

This Suarez thing is fucking ridiculous. If a defender handballs in the area should they go running to the ref to protest for a penalty against them? Fuck no. It's up to the officials to decide whether it was deliberate or not, and I still don't think you can say 100% that it was.

Even as a Liverpool fan I feel it was deliberate in that it was instinct. If it had been given against us I'd have been livid.

I just downloaded the BBC Sports app to my phone and the headline picture on it? Suarez kissing his wrist.

This Suarez thing is fucking ridiculous. If a defender handballs in the area should they go running to the ref to protest for a penalty against them? Fuck no. It's up to the officials to decide whether it was deliberate or not, and I still don't think you can say 100% that it was.

It depends if it was deliberate, you know, like when Suarez did that very thing?

Even as a Liverpool fan I feel it was deliberate in that it was instinct. If it had been given against us I'd have been livid.

I just downloaded the BBC Sports app to my phone and the headline picture on it? Suarez kissing his wrist.

What is it with players kissing their wrists? What's it suppose to mean?

In Suarez's case it's because he has his daughter's name tattooed on his wrist. So I guess he's dedicating his goals to her or something. The despicable bastard.

When Suarez scores, he kisses his wrist (daughter's name tattooed) and his ring finger to dedicate it to his loved ones.

Given he's done it 15 times in the league already, you'd think people would've noticed.

In Suarez's case it's because he has his daughter's name tattooed on his wrist. So I guess he's dedicating his goals to her or something. The despicable bastard.

When Suarez scores, he kisses his wrist (daughter's name tattooed) and his ring finger to dedicate it to his loved ones.

Given he's done it 15 times in the league already, you'd think people would've noticed.

Oh right, thanks.