Nintendo 3DS

spatular

You can't get streetpasses when it's off!

Every time I see someone on a 3DS in a waiting room or on a bus or something, if the little orange light ain't on, I just want to punch them over and over.

I was going from an XL to a regular, mainly for the faceplates, but then I remembered that the original 3DS made my hands ache with certain games because it was so damn small (I think it was the d-pad, because it's so near the bottom of the console). I saw the hardware in Game last week and while it looked lovely, the screens were still noticeably smaller than the XL, and it pretty much sealed the deal for me to get the latter. I'm now completely over the faceplates and coloured buttons!

So ignore the fun stuff and go for the one that's the most comfortable for you.

For those of you who bought a new 3ds (non xl) - did you go for black or whiite - I cant decide

I'd say black. I agree with those that say the face plates look better on the black one (black with the widen ones is wow for me). Furthermore the screen surround in black disappears when playing (I would never have a telly with a white bezel) whereas on the white one it's still quite visible.

I was going from an XL to a regular, mainly for the faceplates, but then I remembered that the original 3DS made my hands ache with certain games because it was so damn small (I think it was the d-pad, because it's so near the bottom of the console). I saw the hardware in Game last week and while it looked lovely, the screens were still noticeably smaller than the XL, and it pretty much sealed the deal for me to get the latter. I'm now completely over the faceplates and coloured buttons!

So ignore the fun stuff and go for the one that's the most comfortable for you.

I had the original 3DS years ago and I didn't have any problems with discomfort, so that's not really an issue.

Finally got some proper playtime on the N3DS. Please excuse any preaching to the converted:

- Now it's quite something to look at and to hold (black w/ wood plates here), which I never thought I'd say about an electronic device.

- Cripes it doesn't half fly along, much snappier OS / actions / browser etc.

- 3D is now worth having on as a matter of course.

- Super comfy ergonomics (I have big hands).

- Solid build quality, great weight distribution.

- Clearer, louder speakers and audio output.

- Much superior inputs. The d-pad was, for me, the weakest link in the original machine and this one has equal footing with the analogue pad in terms of quality, placement on the unit and pleasure to use. I think it's the best d-pad of them all. The shape and quality of the buttons, the sliders and improved resistance on the analogue thumbstick all do their thing too. The cheaper-feeling stylus feels like the only misstep, but it seems a bit churlish to focus on that in light of the other numerous improvements.

So, concept nearly perfected it seems. Ignore the region locking issue, grit your teeth through their account related fuckery and this thing seems untouchable. Speaking for myself this is an open n' shut case of 2-in-1 greatest handheld library and hardware combo.

I hope it remains supported for years to come.

You've got the smaller one and it's comfortable to hold?

I now have 3 3ds's. A standard model, an xl and a new standard model. I'd say that the best model by far is the new 3ds. Even with my terrible eyes it's got by far the best screen and is by far the best to hold and use. The xl I find rather heavy, particularly on the commute.

I'd say that the best model by far is the new 3ds. Even with my terrible eyes it's got by far the best screen and is by far the best to hold and use. The xl I find rather heavy, particularly on the commute.

I concur with this. The old XL was always a bit too big for a pocket and a bit too heavy to get comfy with for long periods of time, the New regular one is perfect. Screen size isn't an issue once you actually start playing it.

You can't get streetpasses when it's off!

Every time I see someone on a 3DS in a waiting room or on a bus or something, if the little orange light ain't on, I just want to punch them over and over.

I switch it off because the battery life is bad enough as is and that Streetpass stuff does nothing for me. Yay, collect puzzle pieces! Ehm ok.