Wahwah*

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Which is fine for systems like PS4 and Xbox One which both come with a minimum 500gb storage and have other cheap storage solutions, but not necessarily for the Switch. 

This confuses me - why it is fine for one and not the other? Storage on Switch is SD cards, which are not overly expensive or in any way unusual now really. As I said, less than the cost of a single game gets you 128gb - which goes a long way on Switch.

Look at the Xbox One X - the default HD on that is apparently possible to fill with just 9 titles - they may have larger storage, but they are using it at a roughly equivalent rate because of the higher quality assets etc.

This is not just a Switch thing - virtually every platform now requires additional storage at some point or another to hold all the updates and patches etc

I do think this is a side issue from the stuff that is happening with LA Noire etc though - that's clearly just a case of a publisher cutting a corner because they can, and because they think it's going to cost them less to use a smaller cart than the number of sales lost as a result of the required download. They must have done the math.

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Damn. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet I suppose. I could always transfer all my games over to a bigger one later, couldn't I?

Just buy a 128 card for now - should easily see you over until the bigger cards get much cheaper - and you can just copy the files from one card to another when needed.

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

PUBG has sold over 20 million copies.

You don't have to go back far in time to see them raving about shifting a million per month. Now it's more like 3 million. 

The success of the game in China has even completely altered the landscape of the STEAM hardware survey, as loads of Chinese players have opened accounts within the last few months and taken part in having their system specs scanned. Win7 is back on top as the world's favourite gaming OS as a result, and Chinese is now the dominant language on even Valve's platform. It does help that the game is way cheaper in China too.

• Upvote 3

On 03/11/2017 at 17:03, rgraves said:

This confuses me - why it is fine for one and not the other? Storage on Switch is SD cards, which are not overly expensive or in any way unusual now really. As I said, less than the cost of a single game gets you 128gb - which goes a long way on Switch.

Look at the Xbox One X - the default HD on that is apparently possible to fill with just 9 titles - they may have larger storage, but they are using it at a roughly equivalent rate because of the higher quality assets etc.

This is not just a Switch thing - virtually every platform now requires additional storage at some point or another to hold all the updates and patches etc

I do think this is a side issue from the stuff that is happening with LA Noire etc though - that's clearly just a case of a publisher cutting a corner because they can, and because they think it's going to cost them less to use a smaller cart than the number of sales lost as a result of the required download. They must have done the math.

I guess the problem with the Switch is that you can, theoretically, have only 2 or  3 games, like LA Noire and require additional storage due to Nintendo offering publisher the opportunity to cheap out on the cart.

The flip side of course is that own..

Zelda 

Snipperclips 

Rabbids

Mk8

Splatoon 

Mario

Arms

And Fire Emblem Warriors (all retail other than SC)

And don't need an SD.

With a ps4 and Xbone requiring games to install, and huge patches, at this point I'd be needing more storage. As it stands, my Switch won't need an SD for a while and will still play games when I buy them without me needing to wait to uninstall for space, reinstall if I want to play later, wait until the next day to play online or patched as my broadband won't pull down 14gb in less than maybe 4 hours..

Really wish Nintendo had told all of the third party devs that having stupidly large games on the switch isn’t on.

Any game which requires me to download and install the other half of the game on the switch is not being bought. 

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

Really wish Nintendo had told all of the third party devs that having stupidly large games in the switch isn’t on.

Any game which requires me to download and install the other half of the game on the switch is not being bought. 

They probably did whilst adding that their games would be double the price.

On 08/11/2017 at 20:16, the_debaser said:

Really wish Nintendo had told all of the third party devs that having stupidly large games on the switch isn’t on.

They used to do that and 3rd parties bailed

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2017 at 20:16, the_debaser said:

Why? Every other console requires you to do exactly the same...cough...day one patches...cough. 

Anyway as far as sales figures go the switch is doing crazy numbers in Japan over the past few weeks with it selling rough 150,000 each week. They could well do over a million for the month of December. The current pie chart of console sales in Japan looks like it did back in the Wii/DS days. The switch is also likely to pass total PS4 sales in Japan by roughly the spring or summer of next year. Amazing stuff really. 

The PS4 sitting at 70 million really shows just how much MS botched things with the Xbox one. Really allowed Sony to keep their top place in Europe and regain their place in the UK while savaging MS in America. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Microsoft sold 18million Kinects in the first year. 

I think there were more games relased for PSVR at launch than the entirety of Kinects lifetime. There is no equivalence to be made.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, mansizerooster said:

Plus, Kinect was fundamentally broken whereas PSVR works wonderfully. Kinect's sales were purely down to everyone getting aboard the hype train, PSVR's sales have largely been from word of mouth.

Thing is, even of no other games were released for it , it would still have a great line up. As it is, support is getting stronger if anything.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I think there were more games relased for PSVR at launch than the entirety of Kinects lifetime. There is no equivalence to be made.

It’s an expensive hardware add on that a tiny fraction of the total user base will buy into. That needs a more expensive version of the console to get the best from. 

Sounds familiar to every expensive console hardware add on ever. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Microsoft sold 18million Kinects in the first year. 

To be fair the marketing push for it was massive, PSVR has been fairly muted. And of course Kinect was launched when waggle was all the rage. 

46 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

It’s an expensive hardware add on that a tiny fraction of the total user base will buy into. That needs a more expensive version of the console to get the best from. 

Well I would say a relatively  large proportion of owners bought in to Kinect. 18 million out of , what, 80 million?  . The problem for Kinect was that no one really knew how to make it a worthwhile purchase post launch, so it wasn’t sustained . That’s not a problem PSVR has . 

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

It's definitely a relatively niche product. I think the key difference is that there are PC equivalents which broaden the effective install base. 

And I think VR is just going to get better and better in the long run. Kinect's main problem was that no one could really figure out a worthwhile use for it in games. 

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Going by that logic, VR itself is doomed to never become viable as every variant of it requires expensive hardware to get the best from.

Valve, Microsoft, et al seem to be still keeping the faith, unlike their other abandoned hardware initiatives.

58 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

VR will continue to improve. Things are already going wireless and getting more lightweight. 

He's talking about current PSVR though, not future generations of the VR hardware on future generations of PS hardware. For this gen I do agree with him, it's going to remain niche.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, rgraves said:

He's talking about current PSVR though, not future generations of the VR hardware on future generations of PS hardware. For this gen I do agree with him, it's going to remain niche.

I think the difference is that although it's niche it's not a gimmick. The people buying into VR understand the value, and the scope of things you can do with it is huge and potentially limitless. The best thing to come from Kinect is the voice recognition, it was entirely useless for anything else. 

• Upvote 4