rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Make sure you turn your brightness up for that area. Helps to see where the deep insta-death pits of water are, and also the secret paths to bits of loot.

I'd recommend a Longbow for picking off the casters from range. Slow & steady does it. 

Shrine of Amana is the most annoying area of the game, no question. Though it's been toned down, believe it or not. In the original release version the magic missiles homed in on you much more effectively than they do now. They were basically impossible to dodge.

Yeah, that area sucks. The boss was cool from a lore perspective but still a pain in the arse.

I’ve just arrived at the shrine of Amana after making my way through the castle :o

If I didn’t own this digitally then it’d be going in the bin :mad: fucking Shrine of Amana is a complete pisstake. 

anyone who played this on Xbox one fancy being summoned in to help?

Don't think I've ever had a problem with the Shrine of Amana :unsure:. Well not since the original release anyway, then it was hard. Ridiculously so. 

SoTFS version just requires a long range weapon and patience.

Anytime I’ve used a long range weapon the priestess enemies just cast a healing spell. 

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

If I didn’t own this digitally then it’d be going in the bid :mad: fucking Shrine of Amana is a complete pisstake. 

anyone who played this on Xbox one fancy being summoned in to help?

Amana really is just a game of excruciatingly methodical patience. You’ll get through it eventually, but I can’t guarantee you’ll have fun doing it.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Don't think I've ever had a problem with the Shrine of Amana :unsure:.

Same here, not even right after release. You can hide behind pillars and other objects. As a caster you use binoculars to aim your spells to kill them from long range, or you use a bow. Once you are used to it none of that is needed as you can dodge the magic missiles by running forward and rolling.

I did it. Basically just killed each enemy on repeat so they wouldn’t respawn and that allowed me to get the two NPC characters to the boss who went down easy in the end. 

at the undead crypt now. Is there far to go?

• Upvote 1

Undead crypt....watch out for the bells that summons zombies! I think you got about 5 areas left. The DLC is excellent though. Sunken City is my all time favorite DS dlc. All the dlc's have epic bosses. 

I must have done some areas out of order, when I go to the travel screen at the bonfire all the location slots are now filled. Although I imagine these don’t include the DLC areas. 

49 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Same here, not even right after release. You can hide behind pillars and other objects. As a caster you use binoculars to aim your spells to kill them from long range, or you use a bow. Once you are used to it none of that is needed as you can dodge the magic missiles by running forward and rolling.

I haven’t cast a spell in 230-odd hours of playing any Dark Souls ever, and fuck knows where the binoculars are in DS2, cause I sure as fuck haven’t got them :lol:

11 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I haven’t cast a spell in 230-odd hours of playing any Dark Souls ever, and fuck knows where the binoculars are in DS2, cause I sure as fuck haven’t got them :lol:

They are in Majula! By the way, casting spells are way better in DS2 compared with 1 and 3. Just my personal opinion on the matter! DS2 was the first time I went with a caster build and I absolutely loved it. You can get some ridiculous combos going. 

• Upvote 3

Damn you for reviving this thread! Now i really wanna play through this again.  

I have the XBone version that i bought last year on a whim, and its still untouched, so that means tasty builds from scratch. :eyebrows:

30 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Get a fucking killer bow and upgrade that shizzle. I think I ground on those Alonne Knights so much I even had one of those enormous bows that take 8 years to shoot upgraded to plus 10

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Damn you for reviving this thread! Now i really wanna play through this again.  

I have the XBone version that i bought last year on a whim, and its still untouched, so that means tasty builds from scratch. :eyebrows:

Lucky you! I wish I could play it for the first time again. 

I think it might be my favourite Dark Souls

• Upvote 1

Yep I have never understood the negativity around DS2. It's by far my most played Dark Souls. 

While Dark Souls is fucking amazing, the last few areas are terrible.

Dark Souls 3 is also brilliant but its essentially Dark Souls Remember This. Has as many gank squads as Dark Souls 2 as well. Magic is almost useless as are Miracles. Str build is pretty much the most viable build or the weird hollow one.

Dark Souls 2 is pretty consistent, has a lot of variety build wise, and the DLC is awesome. There's very few areas I don't like. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

Get a fucking killer bow and upgrade that shizzle. I think I ground on those Alonne Knights so much I even had one of those enormous bows that take 8 years to shoot upgraded to plus 10

I do have a number of great bows but my stats don’t match up. Which is shite since I fancy my guy to be STR/DEX :unsure: I think on balance I’ve probably been neglecting DEX.

I absolutely adore the atmosphere of Dark Souls 2. It was the first one I completed (albeit I played Demon's first) and I still miss the feeling of being in Drangleic. That sickly gauzy palette, it's such an atmospherically ugly game. There are almost no beautiful areas in the whole world and it's so gamey throughout, spokes and corridors and arenas and obstacles and traps. I love the patchwork structure and sense of being permanently lost, just joining the dots on and much bigger adventure, and the lore and NPC dialogue supports that idea so well. Considering what they had to work with and all the troubles along the way, what they managed to pull together is arguably the most impressive achievement in the series. 

• Upvote 3

Wondering if at this point I’d be as well going to do the DLC. Wanting to avoid the fuck-up I made in DS1 where I “completed” the game before unlocking the DLC :facepalm: Which forced me to play through that whole game again, which was no bad thing. As much as I’ve enjoyed DS2 I don’t think I could replay this one again so soon, so just seeing what you guys would recommend. I feel pretty certain I’m just about to access the final bit of the standalone, sans-DLC game, and don’t want to run the risk of hitting a point of no return, meaning I fuck up the DLC.

I’ve just made it through the Dragon Shrine, somehow, someway, half-dead, prolapsed, battered, bruised, covered in shit, blood and tears and got the Ashen Mist Heart from the Ancient Dragon. I’ve also already killed Throne Watcher & Throne Defender. I think I also did something else through another of them mad kingly door whatevers. I gather the Ashen Mist Heart can get me communicating with the petrified giant / tree carcasses about the place. Am I ok to go and do a bunch of those before I hit up the Shrine of Winter with my Frozen Flower, i.e. the first DLC - I think? - or should I put that stuff on hold?

Don't go beyond TW & TD. On the other hand, you do choose when to begin NG+ in DS2. I'd just suggest not getting to that point because it'd be too easy to accidentally select it at a bonfire and then have to smash up the console and slide the parts down a grid. Do the tree stuff and then do the three DLC areas would be my suggestion, then go past TW & TD. I would do the DLC you mentioned last of the three, personally. They are all brick. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve already killed TW & TD :unsure: They were maybe the first thing I accessed with the King’s Ring. 

I did hear that the last (non-DLC) boss fight would begin straight after TW & TD, but only if you left their fight to the last bit of business behind the kingly door thingmy’s. I found this out after I’d already killed them. So I’m guessing if I go back to their arena, the last guy spawns or something? Fuck, I dunno. Maybe even feel free not to answer that if it’s gonna ruin things for me. Maybe just let me know if it’s cool for me to go wake up some dead giant trees using my new Ashen Mist Heart without fucking access to the DLC? Like, go see what they’re about, then once that’s done, take my Frozen Flower to the Shrine of Winter for the first bit of DLC? Oh, and are the 2nd (?) and 3rd (?) bits of DLC also only accessible provided you don’t complete the base game?

Cheers :hat: 

I'd start with the Sunken City personally. Been too long for me to remember how you actually access it, though.

32 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I would do the DLC you mentioned last of the three, personally. They are all brick. 

Oh, I don’t yet know how to access any of the DLC, other than whatever’s accessible from the Shrine of Winter :) 

@Calashnikov I'd say defo go and do the tree stuff, that won't screw anything. Then do all the DLC, then carry on with the base game as you were.

As for accessing the DLC, you need three separate items to access the three DLC areas. The likelihood of just coming across them is very slim and it's the one thing I would suggest just looking up. If you would rather some hints, I'd happily give you a few ideas but I don't think it'd help unless I was quite direct about the areas. That's totally up to you, I've no interest in spoiling any surprises. I guess you've got the FF item to access the third DLC because you know where to go to travel there, and it's the one you're most likely to stumble upon. The other two are hard to find even when you know. 

I'd also ask if you've done any of the DD Grandahl stuff in the main game? He's an NPC. Very easy to miss and really cool. It's a covenant but with single player stuff to do, not just the usual MP invasions. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Stevie said:

Lucky you! I wish I could play it for the first time again. 

Its not my first time. :lol: