Thor

Elite Dangerous - Beyond: Ch 3 due 28th August

About the stuttering, Frontier really are not very good at this - or simply the game is too complex, I don't know. I get stuttering on rare occasions even on PC, where I can run the game 60fps solid with no drops. Support can't do anything about it and there is no solution for those who have it. It is a fucked up situation. A developer had said -but then changed his tunes more or less- that there is an internal problem with the engine that causes this, but it is very low priority because of the few people that it affects. I am guessing there are way more people suffering from this (forums are full with stutter issues from time to time) but probably they don't mind.

I can't imagine you have any options on the bone like editing configs and such LeChuck, so if it persists I would suggest contacting  support. Maybe you will be lucky. :)

I made my initial money by hanging out at a system's jump point, which is where everyone warps into when entering the system. Scan ships to see those that are wanted, glance over your shoulder to make sure the local polis are there to bail you out if you make a hash of it, then light up the target.

I don't think you're speeding up. I think the magnitude of the measure of your speed changes, so it jumps up the scale but you're still slowing down.

I could be completely wrong though, haven't played for a while.

44 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Too late. :( I've taken a job to deliver to a system that I can't travel to.  I'm guessing it's because there are no hops in between to take me there, despite it only being 9.6ly away.  Oh well.  I've cancelled the job.

I have a question. Sometimes when in super cruise, as I approach my destination, my speed suddenly ramps up way past the level I have set, and I overshoot. Why does it do this? Is it because I'm approaching a planet, and getting caught in its gravitational field? ie slingshotting.

Yeah, I think it's slingshotting from passing close to gravity wells.

Are you keeping the needle blue, or, alternatively, ensuring that you throttle right down to a blue needle at no less than 7 seconds remaining? It's not a perfect solution to preventing the loop of shame, but it works most of the time.

Some SC tips I've just found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/52y4sg/mastering_supercruise_a_few_tips_tricks_and/

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/18617-Fangrim-s-Guide-to-Supercruise-the-Easy-Way!

Oh, and this isn't anything to do with how to play, it's just something interesting I bookmarked a while back :)

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106861

• Upvote 1

I never look at the time to judge when to slow down. Instead I use speed and distance. Once your speed is at ten percent of your distance, take your acceleration right down below the blue line, then tap it up until it turns blue. You will not over shoot. 

200ls, slow down at 20c.

20ls, 2c

2ls, 0.2c

Working from memory here, but pretty sure that's right. Planet landings are slightly different, but you just need to ease off a bit more towards the end.

If you are going too fast as you approach try doing a spiral as you slow, more distance means more time to slow down without over shooting.

8 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

This would be heaven for me in VR. 

It is simply amazing. I've only ever played this in VR.  It never ever gets old.

I'm quite happy doing 5-7 hours a week, chilling after work, doing missions. Throw in the occasional interdiction just to keep me on my toes. 

Taking over mukhang space is great as a new added incentive. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Seriously considering Horizons with the 1500 frontier points for £30. Those liveries... :wub:

Do it.

There are some great paintjobs available, and of course Horizons itself is amazing value for what you get.

The srv is great fun. Just wish there was more to do with it. But since there are now players organising "football" matches with SRVs and alien relics, maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.

Ahhh the Cobra, I've never used a ship more in a year of playing Elite, made me millions she has. I've yet to find a ship more versatile and fast. I may be flying a Python nowadays but the Cobra was with me throughout my learning period and so my bond with her is strong.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Argh said:

I got black orca and pink lasers :). Space gangster disco pimp taxi whale.

2 hours ago, Danster said:

:lol:

I got black body for my Vulture (won't see me coming) with green lasers and yellow lasers to match my yellow Python :)

I bought the black paint for all of my ships, :) along with red, blue, and purple lasers :) 

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Okay, after watching the final episode of TNG, I decided to play another game in order have a change from space shenanigans, and not instinctively buy Horizons. I wanted to mull it over. But that game ended going all SSSPPPPAAAAAACCEEE anyway. So I took that as a sign, and bought Horizons.  

Did the SRV training mission ... all those hours driving the Mako in Mass Effect was preparation for this moment!! :D

Good man. What was the other game?

2 hours ago, Argh said:

The srv is great fun. Just wish there was more to do with it. But since there are now players organising "football" matches with SRVs and alien relics, maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.

Ah, cool. Didn't know about that. I have seen stuff about SRV races, though.

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Well now, that's something that pisses on the PS4 - browser integration.  Usually, anything involving the internet browser on the PS4 is a long, slow, pain the arse.  Here, it works like an extension of the game. It's really well done.

Yup, it actually works quite well.

37 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

And here's my black beauty:

cobra1.png

cobra2.png

:wub:

Nice :)

6 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

mcgl8j.jpg

:lol:

Also. I'm loving the Viper MkIV. I kitted it out for fighting but then made enough money from that that I could afford to add some cargo space, a business class cabin, and an FSD that gives me a 19Ly jump range. So these days I ferry people around. And laugh like a weird crazy child as I willfully submit to interdictions to show them what a mistake they just made. 

I've been at 'allied' with the Symposium for a while, and still do all the missions I can to raise influence, but is there anything else I could be doing to help the cause? I'm not averse to the idea of a bit of illegal shenanigans. 

• Upvote 2

No, only by the faction in that system who issued the bounty. If you keep away from that system the bounty will last for a certain amount of time before becoming a Dorment Bounty for a certain amount of time. If you continue to keep away for all of this time you'll be assumed dead and the fine/bounty wiped.

Nah, you probably wouldn't even notice. It takes a kill warrant scanner to find it, so a human player might find it, but any other police force wouldn't care less. Only need to worry about it if you're planning on returning to the system of the mission owner.

You can always clear the fines and stuff if you find one of those ... can't remember what they are called ... in the Contacts section at a station.