Orko

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

As mentioned in the thread about Disney buying Lucasfilm ($4.05 billion!), one of the first things they've done is announce that Star Wars Episode VII is coming in 2015 with 'more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future'.

Lucas himself will be around in a 'creative consultant' capacity, which hopefully means Disney will have the good sense to keep him the hell away from it. He had this to say about it:

For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next, it's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

So, given that there is the whole Expanded Universe lore, most of which has been made 'officially' canon, what direction do you think they'll take the film? Who do you think will be the main characters? Would you want any of the original characters back in any capacity - either as older counterparts or played by new actors? (They better bloody not!)

UPDATE: Disney announced in an investor conference call after today's announcement that they intend to make more than one new Star Wars movie, beginning with Episode VII in 2015 followed by Episodes VIII and IX "every other year" and then "we'll go from there."

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Thrawn is easily the best bet out of the Expanded Universe. Only problem is reuniting the original cast. I doubt Harrison Ford would be interested.

Michael Fassbender as Thrawn?

• Upvote 1

I'm astounded by this and Disney will need to work very fast to have it ready for 2015. Even something like man of steel will have had over a year of post production, and that cant be as fx heavy as ep 7 would be. All that aside - holy fuck!

• Upvote 1

What the? Certainly wasn't expecting this when I woke up this morning. Nor, in truth, was I ever hoping for it, but what the hell.

I know el zilcho about the expanded universe, so if this Thrawn malarky is the route to take, you can be sure I'll be up in arms about it come 2015 when it's been completely ignored in favour of some story involving Han Solo Jr at school with Palpatine's long lost grandson and C3PO is their teacher and oh God I can't even conceive of something as awful as what Lucas probably wants it to be..

Out of interest, what does happen in Thrawn?

From wiki -

As the first book opens, the Rebellion, now known as the New Republic, is still fighting to mop up final Imperial resistance and set up a functional government. Out in the fringes of the galaxy, the most brilliant of all the hand-picked Grand Admirals is gaining strength and preparing to attack the New Republic. After convincing a Dark Jedi to join his side, Grand Admiral Thrawn is confident of his victory.

Basically, Thrawn is a master tactician who takes over the remnants of the Empire some seven years after RotJ. He manages to pretty much destabilise the Republic just by staying one step ahead of everyone.

The Thrawn trilogy is easily the best of the Expanded Universe - although to be fair a lot of the competition is pretty dire.

I did have to double check. It's not like you to miss these things. It's something to tell the grand kids; 'I scooped Goose once, you know'.

Wait. That sounds wrong.

I'll give you a 'Creative Consultant' credit if you like?

• Upvote 4

this is like waking up in an alternative reality.

original cast will have money thrown at them - and every hot director in town (that grew up on the originals) will want a crack at this.

could actually be totally awesome!

• Upvote 2

I did have to double check. It's not like you to miss these things. It's something to tell the grand kids; 'I scooped Goose once, you know'.

Wait. That sounds wrong.

Bloody kids! I was stuck upstairs waiting for my daughter to go to sleep and reading up more on Cloud Atlas. I had a quick look at Twitter and was like "WTF!! Why now?!" Bloody kids.

Didn't Fincher start out working on Return of the Jedi?

Updated the first post with the news that they've announced Episode VIII and IX to follow every other year and then they'll 'go from there'.

With Lucas out of the picture so to speak, imagine the people who'll put their name in the hat for part 7. I'd hazard that George isn't going to have that much say in most things to do with the new set of films.

I always thought the Thawn trilogy was offically episode 7, 8 and 9? Great news and it can't be worse than the prequels so i'm looking forward to it. Maybe afterwards they can remake the prequels so we can finally forget that they existed.

• Upvote 1

Updated the first post with the news that they've announced Episode VIII and IX to follow at yearly intervals and then they'll 'go from there'.

hopefully from 'go from there' they mean a new prequel trilogy with no Hayden Christensen

What the fuck? Is this for real?

SERIOUSLY?

:facepalm:

Personally I think it's probably the best bloody thing to happen for the Star Wars franchise for around 20-odd years. Nothing's ever going to erase Eps 1, 2 and 3, but at least without old George having much input, we might finally see a really decent SW film again...

• Upvote 9

It does seem a pretty tight timescale to go from nothing to a finished product in 3 years which makes me think either George has a crap idea they'll use or it's a straightforward EU adaptation.

NJO with a revised final act would be my choice. Of course it'll have nothing to do with the books most likely.

I doubt that. The whole New Jedi Order is far too bleak and a lot of the story deals with the nature of the Force. While I can see them using aspects of it - it's set about 25 years after RotJ so the original actors could get away with their ages and the Solo children becoming 'The Next Generation' - I still reckon they'll use Thrawn.