revengeofgibbon

Pillars of Eternity - Obsidian's RPG Project Eternity has a new name

Obsidian Entertainment's site seems to be teasing a new and as-yet unnamed title: http://www.obsidian.net/

No details or owt, but the use of the Ouroboros symbol and the text seem to lead everyone to expect another fantasy RPG, rather than a new Fallout game. Read some interesting speculation that it may be the Wheel of Time game that was supposedly cancelled, which would be nice.

Anyway, here's the text from the page, if anyone can make sense of it:

"What do the words mean?"

"Nothing. the Dirge of Eir Glanfath is sound without form, a lone voice crying out in mourning because it must."

And from comments in the page source:

<!--. X . X X . X X -->

<!-- To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness. -->

Project Eternity kickstarter, $1.1m target.

An isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

We want to capture the feeling of those Infinity engine games, say no more you have my money. Also early backers can get the digital copy of the game for $20 instead of $25.

Game Details

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

Cloth map! but $160 with postage :(

An interview with Kotaku and some quotes.

Their goal: to make an RPG that blends the combat and exploration of Baldur's Gate, the dungeon spelunking of Icewind Dale, and the powerful narrative of Planescape: Torment.

"Project: Eternity is our opportunity to FINALLY develop our own fantasy RPG world and franchise," Obsidian's Avellone told me in an e-mail this week. "FINALLY. Did I say FINALLY enough? One more time: FINALLY.

And it'll be PC only, because Avellone is "tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers."

Combat will be old-school. "It'll feel like Baldur's Gate 2. After discussions here, we decided to pursue a similar combat style to the [games on the Infinity Engine, like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale]—real time with pause.

If the Kickstarter succeeds, this will be a franchise.

e80974b23a251ca3c259c30fecf14bc2_large.png

• Upvote 1

Nothing against this but I feel a bit torn whenever a company with loads of games under their belt goes the kickstarter route.

Even well established devs need publisher backing for projects right? Kickstarter and places like that are the only ones to give them full freedom so why should they miss out on it because they're industry veterans? I sadly would see most publishers laugh at the idea of making a baldurs gate type isometric game today only for PC and ignoring the console market.

Nothing against this but I feel a bit torn whenever a company with loads of games under their belt goes the kickstarter route.

I don't have an issue - obsidian has a history of having its games rushed out the door by publishers in a slightly "unfinished" state so it will be nice to see them develop something without publisher pressure.

If it produces a game even close to planescape it willl be a well spent $20.

Their goal: to make an RPG that blends the combat and exploration of Baldur's Gate, the dungeon spelunking of Icewind Dale, and the powerful narrative of Planescape: Torment.

I love it when developers are really down to earth. :P

My issue is, where do they go when the money runs out and they still have loads of bugs to squash?

I suppose they'll do what they always have and release it with loads of bugs then let the community patch it up over time :) - I suppose I just don't feel $20 for the prospect of another classic style RPG by the team that pretty much defined the genre is a big ask. If it falls flat then so be it - I've wasted more in McDonalds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My issue is, where do they go when the money runs out and they still have loads of bugs to squash?

I'm more concerned that when you look at the kickstarter numbers you've got shipping etc. costs, then ten percent off for amazon and kickstarter, and you wonder how they'd deliver for 1.1 million. DFA has been quite enlightening in that respect.

Obviously, given they've cracked 800k in the first fifteen hours, given the latent demand, they'll have no problem hitting that 1.1 million: but what then? How do they manage their scope?

Obsidian at least have the engine and tools available to start work on a game in house so that's a saving straight away. I don't doubt they will need to watch the pennies but it also seems like an idea for them to create their own IP and if it sells enough possibly have a franchise to build on.

I suppose they'll do what they always have and release it with loads of bugs then let the community patch it up over time :) - I suppose I just don't feel $20 for the prospect of another classic style RPG by the team that pretty much defined the genre is a big ask. If it falls flat then so be it - I've wasted more in McDonalds.

This issue is completely overplayed. The only game of Obsidian's that was really buggy and unfinished was KOTOR2 (which was rushed out early by publisher demand). Fallout New Vegas was a substantially more stable game than Fallout 3, for instance - in fact Bethesda's games tend to be as buggy or worse, but Obsidian's the company that gets saddled with the buggy-games reputation.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I've funded this on the off chance they make a Mac version... Otherwise I've just wasted cash

They've said they're looking into Mac/Linux versions depending on the response to the campaign. I imagine there'll be something about it in a future update given they've almost reached their target in the first 24 hours.