F1 season 5 IS OVER!

Meers

Dilemma  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I should admit I got a copy last might and started my career.

Using the Microsoft wheel, zero for every setting execpt 15% linearity is giving a good feel in the corners, though I might need to tweak it a little as it's a touch scary in tight traffic. I left the FF settings at default to start with.

I've not had the "understeer" issue as I can feel when the front wheels' grip is peaking and as long as i'm on line and on speed it turns in. where it's different to 2011 is that I found in 2011 that the best steering technique was to turn in very strongly and sharply - most hairpins you'd jam the wheel right over to the lockstops.

There's no rumble over kerbs, but personally I don;t mind that. It's unrealistic, but the main thing I want from FF is feeling the front-end grip level and I'm certainly getting that.

In this, I'm finding it's best to turn in more like forza- more smoothly. the car's definitlety more planted (though will still spin. Melbourne's quite a test for this as you have to attack the kerbs hard, then accelerate hard and turn at the same time).

My first race went pretty well - (pro difficulty, 25%, williams) struggled in qualifying (17th) but managed to sneak up to 8th in the first couple of laps by avoiding a couple of incidents. pitted end of lap 6 to go primes, was still 8th after the order shook out, but right behind schuey. Seems the tyres you get after stopping are warmer now - that first post-pits lap on primes was always very slippery in 2011, it's less so now.

Had a 3-lap battle with schuey - me usually getting ahead in the big stop into turn three, but, him getting back past me on DRS. Eventually he slipped away up the road. Perez started to creep up on me, and on the last lap he got the DRS activation- luckily he could't quite beat me to the line.

Thanks for the thoughts, RFT!

I'm very pleased to read about the smoother lines.

You're on the 360 too? I ask in relation to feedback, as I saw people commenting that they had it on the PS3 version (with a Logitech G27, I think it was). It'd actually be a positive for me not to have rumble feedback when I get a wheel and I'd also place priority on receiving signs of grip, but it's strange that it's apparently non-existent for some hardware. A key thing that players would notice and want too!

Excellent news I just asked Steve:

@T4RG4 Hi Steve, is there any difference between damage on and offline - super quick downshift maybe not damaging engine in online? Cheers

and he said:

@mexos Nope, should be the same AFAIK/Experienced. Let me know more as you find it.

So that's that put to bed. Roll on Friday. Or maybe tonight if the skanky games shop in Fulham will sell me it early!

Thanks for the thoughts, RFT!

I'm very pleased to read about the smoother lines.

It's possible that, once you're a lot more comfortable with the car then it will still be a case of very strong turn-in - at the moment I'm turning relatively slowly so I can feel my way to peak grip, but if I know exactly what to do, I may be able to just go straight there.

You're on the 360 too? I ask in relation to feedback, as I saw people commenting that they had it on the PS3 version (with a Logitech G27, I think it was). It'd actually be a positive for me not to have rumble feedback when I get a wheel and I'd also place priority on receiving signs of grip, but it's strange that it's apparently non-existent for some hardware. A key thing that players would notice and want too!

Yes, 360.

Nice one mexos, damn rumours :blah:

In other news, I have just broken the camera whilst taking a vid tour of the newly decorated baby room and accidentally dropping then stamping on it... meaning I finally have the excuse to invest in a camera fit for the modern century. That should mean proper HD coverage of my racing (when I get the chance to race)!

Got an unable to deliver note from postie yesterday. Picked it up today...some phone screen protectors that cost a few pence. Oh well.

PS Got F1 2012 in post today YYYYEEAAHHHH

PPS In work till 10:30pm BBBOOOOOO

PPPS Got Friday and all next week off AAAWWWWWWW BABY!

Please test the following things on the full game, Kiro:

The feel of the wheel compared to the demo

The grip off the racing line

Machinegunning the gears off- and online comparison

Wheelspin off the line

Tyre strategy and -degradation

Don't forget telemetry antenna placement! Per car!

I may not be kidding...

Along with Meers' line-up (good points regarding take-off), the obvious ones are how you find braking and the car behaviour and response in, through and out of turns (with a particular eye on correction). Perhaps the final point Meers gave is the big one? Maybe a confirmation on the feedback properties for you wheel/Fanatec racers too? Could a fuller feedback be found by reducing the wheel weight setting and having the effects up?

Urgh, I'm continuing to find that an awful term for the rapid gear changing...

Way beyond ALL of that, just have a good night with it! :)

<Wibblevision>

kiroquai, tonight...

EUJvZ.jpg

"Doucement. Doucement..."

:blink: