F1 season 5 IS OVER!

Meers

Dilemma  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yep, your thinking makes sense, Marmite. Everything above (i.e. Steve's huge description) connects to why I couldn't see a point in saying much regarding the change. At this stage, it's absolute unknown territory and as I saw it might be, puts the onus on us to balance driving and wear. Little signs over these recent months built my interest and only served to make me keen to see the outcome of the different driving styles here and if the tyre response had changed, how we'd deal with it over the course of a race.

I don't know what factors were responsible for how our season race at Monza went for me but if some of how I handled it did make a difference, eagerness to see the changes that have been made to the tyres and stops can only build. It should be forgotten that races won't become routine. There are too many variables on any night for that to happen and a grid that's as close-running and competitive as a chunk of this one is should hold onto that as much as any worries of changes.

A point of enormous note up there within Steve's addition is that every race was unpredictable for me with 2011. Getting in a TT or FP session at best, each race was a further testing session and as comments over the months demonstrated, I had no idea what was going to happen at each track or how I needed to react to, for example, the tyre wear colour. Sudden tyre wear or blow-outs and car settings that didn't work in our races simply served to slow my discovery. Much of that trickiness was due to my physical challenges too and I don't know how much the game really added to that unpredictability.

That's not to knock 2011, only a quick description of how it mostly was for me.

From a dev point of view, it's basically: an impossible task! Which decision to go with?! What feedback to listen to...?

Incidentally, one thing that has kept me interested is that the game has received changes. For various reasons, going way back rather than directing this to F1, I've generally not been a fan of the annual game release. I'm really surprised that in all the noise, little to nothing is being said of this not being 2011 with new logos and roster changes. As with any game, we can't know if it's to our taste until we've got some miles under our collective belts and run races; but isn't it a positive that there's more to it than 2011+1? Doesn't that at least make it something to look forward to more?

I'd absolutely love a Spa 100%. Last race of the season, a track we always have belting races on... what could be better? :sherlock:

Monza. Sorry, that's just me. What can I say? It went well! :D

All sounds good, so effectively someone really conserving all the way through can do a 1 stop whilst those caning the tyres as usual will need to stop in line with the suggested race strategy. Of course there'll be no way of calculating how far off race pace you are if going with the former, meaning there's going to be a lot more calculating going on in the practice races :sherlock:

Kiro did you get the F1 Rim and CSR Elite package? How does it work? On the site it looks like the F1 Rim is a "Clubsport" wheel...

F1 Rim for the Elite isn't out yet skipper :) - the only F1 rim on their store is the one for the Clubsport (basically the Elite's sister product). Did get the normal Elite though - it's amazing :). Believe the Elite's Formula Rim is due early next year - perhaps a little earlier.

Rice, regarding your suggestion of 100% at Yas Marina: UNGGGHARGH.gif

F1 Rim for the Elite isn't out yet skipper :) - the only F1 rim on their store is the one for the Clubsport (basically the Elite's sister product). Did get the normal Elite though - it's amazing :). Believe the Elite's Formula Rim is due early next year - perhaps a little earlier.

Ah ok.. ta! Might hold out until early next year then.. will give me a chance to save some pennies as well :)

I'm more worried about whether they have fixed the feel of the wheel's ffb or not.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Initial impressions suggest not much has changed from the demo, but we'll see for oursleves soon. It also sounds like they are looking in to some changes for wheel users that I imagine will come in a patch, along with the tweaked handling model that Steve mentioned in the Discussion thread last week.

I'd probably be up for it.

Talking of no assists, I just remembered one of my main fun moments from 2011! In the first few days we had it, Meers refused to believe I was racing with them turned off after I set a pretty rapid time in qualifying for one of our fun races for Spa. We then started a new race with assists forced off and I went even quicker :lol:

A true 'godverdomme :hmm: ' moment there.

Here's an idea, how about a 100% mini championship using only the best tracks, but on a different day? I'm thinking maybe six races, and forcing ALL assists off.

What say you?

Are there any service stations? Y'know, somewhere I can stop for a coffee and have a med top-up before I get back on the pitch for the second half? If so, YEAH! WOO!

Kiro, have you stopped watching the Elite's window when you're driving yet? :D

Back on track (on track!), if it's being done, it's got to be classics. Malaysia vs. Monza - that's not even a choice. Stick Monza on there as said and you're set.

Sorting the steering position's absolutely a priority now. FULL race?! This is gonna break me (more)! What about our fittest, unhealthiest Lotus-driving participant? How will you be, Meers? :unsure: Back to the mountains for an easier time?

What are we thinking, then? Usual season round on Tuesdays and the Mini on the following weekend or where there's a break?

Kiro, have you stopped watching the Elite's window when you're driving yet? :D

I... er... might have crashed trying to see how it was all working whilst I was driving at one point :facepalm:

I love Singapore in the same way I grew to love going to the chiropractor! At the time it's happening it's a rather painful experience, but man oh man do you feel like a million dollars at the end :)

One thing I did do last night was finally remove the clutch pedal from the Elite plate. I moved the brake over to the left as well, although the cable length kind of limited it to a few inches right of where I ideally wanted it if I am going to shift the throttle over (which given how much of a fiddle it was, I probably won't). Feels so much better now being able to spread my feet across a bit further!

The collection of twenty-one bendy bits and a few long straights you have to drive around is what's wrong with it eyebrows.gif

Malaysia, Bahrain, Hockenheim, and Abu Dhabi are all pretty gash in my mind.

Singapore... now that's one I don't enjoy driving.

I don't get this. As a general racing fanatic (I'm not an F1 purist like most of ye, as you know) I love all race tracks. Just spend enough time on them and they'll stop being gash! :D