rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

Just now, cubik said:

Impressive, is that all vinyl?

My collection has been ongoing since the 80s, although that also includes a 20ish year break from buying vinyl as CD took over.

In the early 90s a load of my records got destroyed when part of the ceiling of our first house fell down. Quite a lot were original (now old school) hip hop/electro/techno/acid/house 12"s that are worth quite a bit now. I've spent time buying back some of the less expensive ones but some are crazy money, I wish I still had them.

About 15 years ago the remaining ones ended up in boxes in the loft.

5 years ago we moved to a larger house and my record collection came out of the loft and started to expand which coincided with me buying less CDs.

I got rid of a load of CDs last year (100+), I even tried to give them away in here but nobody wanted them.

I've put 670 items into my library so far, not including the CDs that I got rid of. It's split around 50/50 CD vs vinyl.

Still got 100+ CDs and another 50 to 70 records to add.

Yeah all vinyl. All my cds went to music magpie years ago.

Noob question - is there any site I can upload my followed artists from Spotify or something and get an email when they have a release coming up?

1 hour ago, Kzo said:

Noob question - is there any site I can upload my followed artists from Spotify or something and get an email when they have a release coming up?

If you follow them on Spotify then Spotify should let you know when they have a new release. 

BandsinTown and Songkick will scan your Spotify and let you know when they are touring. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, markh said:

Finally got most of it on Discogs. CDs, 10s and 7s left to do 

66646D4A-17BB-46C6-8F2C-6A979291FAED.jpeg

Shiiiiiit, that's some collection.

You've either got a house full, or some rare records - How many discs is that?

1 hour ago, cubik said:

Shiiiiiit, that's some collection.

You've either got a house full, or some rare records - How many discs is that?

2100 exactly at the moment it appears! 
never paid over 40 for anything, its just about buying when released or waiting for the right price. Apart from very very rare exceptions everything comes round at the right price or gets reissued in the end! Prices are getting stupid now though, even for new releases so i’ve probably bought less than ever the last couple of years.   

Mildly freaked out at how close those figures are to mine: £19.1k - £31.6k - £52k

You don't live in my house when I go out, do you?

Anybody care to recommend a new needle for my deck. It’s a Technics 1200 and I reckon the curren Stanton 500 cart I have has been on there the best part of a decade. I only listen occasionally so nothing too expensive - under £100 would be ideal. I listen to soul, disco, dance and a bit of krautrock if it makes any difference. 

I'd completely forgotten the joy of owning a new record just as an object. It's been so long since I changed to CDs that I'd forgotten how nice it is to hold and look at the cover at full size. And since giving up on CDs and going all digital I hadn't realised how much I missed reading the credits and acknowledgements, scanning the thanks list to see if I recognise any names from other bands.

This is a single album in a gatefold sleeve. So the only reason for them going to the extra trouble and expense is whatever they include in the gatefold. Which is this:

Spoiler

IMG_0703.thumb.JPG.725de7378b1ac6f8e858dc0f242cb903.JPG

(Sorry for the crap picture, I've got it in a PVC sleeve so there's a bit of reflection.)

You just don't get that with a thumbnail on Spotify.

Oh god, this is going to cost me a fortune isn't it.

On 15/01/2020 at 06:53, acidbearboy said:

Anybody care to recommend a new needle for my deck. It’s a Technics 1200 and I reckon the curren Stanton 500 cart I have has been on there the best part of a decade. I only listen occasionally so nothing too expensive - under £100 would be ideal. I listen to soul, disco, dance and a bit of krautrock if it makes any difference. 

Ortofon 2M range, red or blue, you can change the stylus for a bronze and keep the cart.