Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

Found a great vinyl seller in a flea market I've not visited before in my local town. Really good stuff all reasonably priced. Covers were a bit tatty on a lot of them but the vinyl it's really good for the age. Nothing I got was over £8!

IMG_20180524_113704-01-2034x2034.thumb.jpeg.76b3aaa8fbe2b5840a08c5548eb1faa4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Ah, War Heroes - that and Crash Landing used to be the Hendrix equivalent of Whipped Cream. Peter Gunn Catastrophe is a sampling waiting to happen, I don't think anyone's had a go yet.

Exciting delivery yesterday - a long overdue copy of The Other People Place's Sorrow and a Cup of Joe, one of my all-time favourites, and the newly discovered James Stinson / Transillusion 12" A Moment of Insanity, which I was keen to pick up while I could. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet - in fact I've got a stack of unlistened recent grabs I need to catch up on, including some of Arrow's film score releases and the 3-LP Laraaji retrospective. Hours in the day, etc.

• Upvote 2

I missed the HMV oliver pressing of Dog Man Star, which makes me sad. I also missed last year's reissue of Travis' The Man Who, which also makes me sad as I've been listening to it all day on spotify and now I need to own a copy.

On 20/06/2018 at 17:46, strider said:

I missed the HMV oliver pressing of Dog Man Star, which makes me sad. I also missed last year's reissue of Travis' The Man Who, which also makes me sad as I've been listening to it all day on spotify and now I need to own a copy.

Oliver you say

image.png.23ef6571a4eb594ea7b2b3658bc45c18.png

anyway..depends on how much you want it but discogs would be my recommendation

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/12141595?ev=rb

• Upvote 1

Having to travel 350 miles in a heatwave for a conference I have zero interest in has led to therapy vinyl purchases:

FB24DDF9-1516-41F1-8D4C-57AEB014C359.thumb.jpeg.21dab459221ef8546e799fb5d3e53bb0.jpeg

Of course now I have to take them back on the train, but fuck it. That'll show 'em.

• Upvote 3

By the way, while I can't really comment on the soundtrack until I get a chance to listen to it, I can't recommend The Ballad of Shirley Collins as a film highly enough. No matter what kind of music you love, it'll qualify and strengthen that love. 

This is a PSA: I found HMV's online store selling the fantastic Egyptian Lover box set from Stones Throw for £33 - at least £12 cheaper than the nearest competitor. I expected it to be one of those eternal backorder situations, but it turned up a few days later at my local store (free delivery). This is something else.

597ED370-5364-4BD4-AC88-0A755B1CCCC5.thumb.jpeg.1bf8649ab638baf00da5e435661d4b94.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Nice, I was always a bit disappointed they didn't just do a normal double LP compilation like the Arabian Prince one but I could be tempted at that price.

The fact that it's pressed at Rainbo also put me off since they're the most reliably shit plant in the world. I don't think I've ever had a record done there that's even vaguely centred and not wavering to some extent in pitch so the odds of getting four good ones at once didn't seem great. Is it OK in that respect? I can deal with a little bit, just not 'my cartridge is moving half an inch horizontally with each rotation' stuff.

33 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Nice, I was always a bit disappointed they didn't just do a normal double LP compilation like the Arabian Prince one but I could be tempted at that price.

The fact that it's pressed at Rainbo also put me off since they're the most reliably shit plant in the world. I don't think I've ever had a record done there that's even vaguely centred and not wavering to some extent in pitch so the odds of getting four good ones at once didn't seem great. Is it OK in that respect? I can deal with a little bit, just not 'my cartridge is moving half an inch horizontally with each rotation' stuff.

I only picked it up yesterday so all I've managed so far is to read some of the booklet, but I'll be ploughing through it at the weekend at the latest. Be advised that I am in no sense a vinyl connoisseur, I'm mainly in it for the ritual power of inconvenience, and to appear ostentatious. Obviously this particular release ticks all my boxes.

• Upvote 1

Cool, I'd very much appreciate it if you could let me know!

I think it'll be pretty obvious if it's got the usual off-centre Rainbo goodness as some of those synth lines will be making you seasick. It wasn't a Rainbo one but the worst record I've ever had for this was an original Pills n Thrills and Bellyaches.. By the time it got to Loose Fit on the inner grooves it sounded like everything was being played through three broken tremolo pedals.

On 05/07/2018 at 11:21, Rsdio said:

Cool, I'd very much appreciate it if you could let me know!

On 06/07/2018 at 15:21, luth714 said:

Wow, been wanting that Egyptian Lover set for a while...shame I’m broke! Be curious about the quality too!

It was far too hot to achieve much over the weekend, but I did listen to two of the Lover discs and they sounded fine to me, given that they were full of wild scratching and already vibrato-heavy analogues - not really the best material to detect fluctuations, but certainly nothing that made me think anything was wrong. I'm pretty sure I'd know if the beat was fluctuating at the end of Egypt, Egypt, so either I'm right and it's fine or I'm wrong and I'm blissfully ignorant.

It'd probably be more meaningful to measure the radius from the hole in four quarters, come to think of it.

Ha, don't worry about it - you can usually eyeball it if your cartridge is moving around a lot! I'll take the chance I reckon.

Thanks for getting back to us.

23 hours ago, keineboom said:

Great soundtrack to this weather.

FB_IMG_1531574624053.jpg

Nice....that's the picture disc right? For one minute I thought it was an early release of the box set and you had the slip matt that's included on your deck.