rllmuk
roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

Fired up Elite for the first time in ages, it's always amazing in VR. :)

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Fired up Elite for the first time in ages, it's always amazing in VR. :)

Fired it up today for the first time since May 2019. The scale of it when you’re in there still blows my mind. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, vezna said:

Fired it up today for the first time since May 2019. The scale of it when you’re in there still blows my mind. 

Yep, it's worth it just for exiting a jump and coming out close to a star ... and just admiring the beauty of it. 

I'm low ranking in the federation, so am gonna rank up to get my Sol permit then take a VR tour of our solar system. :)

• Upvote 1

Yeah elite is still stunning to play in vr.  I remember the first time I played it in vr after a year or so of playing the pancake version on pc. Just the scale of everything blew me away esp when docking inside the a ring station - you just can’t get across the sheer scale in the 2d version.

I’d be interested in a VR upgrade this year. I’ve a Rift CV1 but nothing I’ve read suggests a Rift S is a worthwhile upgrade. I’ve no issues with my current sensors as I’ve a small room dedicated to my PC. It’s the only thing in it apart from a wardrobe and chest of drawers. The Quest sounds like a better bet with a link cable but the 72hz refresh rate is off putting. Then there’s the Index. I want more graphical fidelity and clarity so ultimately this sounds like the headset for me. Then again the price is astronomical. You’d suspect Alyx is going to move VR up a level so I’m up for some new hardware. I’ve not mentioned Vive as I’m guessing it’s going to fall by the wayside. 

• Upvote 1

I Dunno, man, if I had the space for the setup like you do, I'd move heaven and earth to have an Index.

I'm going to be the angel on the shoulder ... the Index is premium quality in build, but from what I can gather (full disclosure, I've never tried the Index myself) the actual graphical fidelity is barely a step up from the Rift S. I went down a PC VR rabbit hole last summer, doing all kinds of research into the latest headsets, every new review that came up I was checking out. It was fairly unanimous - the Index is indeed one of (if not the) best VR headsets on the market ... but the price is just fucking stupid when you can get similar results from a Rift S. 

If I'm going to be spending nearly a grand on VR gear, I want it to be a generational leap over the current Rift tech - the Valve Index is 100% not that. 

• Upvote 3

Hmm, fair play. I watched a few like-v-like comparisons and everyone raved about how great the index was. Guess that's not the reality. So it's moved from 'essential' to 'nice if you're a £150K a year, Porsche in the garage' kinda purchase.

I love my Rift S, by the way. The quality is unbelievable next to the PSVR (not kicking downwards; I still love PSVR). I haven't had a go on a Quest but, if tethering isn't a huge issue to you and you have a good PC, the Rift S is probably the better choice. I suspect most people's barrier to entry is the tethering though :/

• Upvote 1

Out of interest, is there any downside to using a Quest with a link cable over using a Rift S? I've been out of the VR loop for a little while, but I think I'd rather have something completely stand-alone with the option of PC tethering unless there's some major difference between the two experiences.

My Oculus S just came through the post!!!

Quick (honestly!!!) test needed then I need to prepare for some job interviews.....

Really excited to not only play this but see how I can hook it up to Unity and develop some things....

• Upvote 1

For a quick test grab bullet train of the oculus store it’s was the kinda tech demo they did before releasing robo recall but it’s a great one to test and show your mates when they are round 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm going to be the angel on the shoulder ... the Index is premium quality in build, but from what I can gather (full disclosure, I've never tried the Index myself) the actual graphical fidelity is barely a step up from the Rift S. I went down a PC VR rabbit hole last summer, doing all kinds of research into the latest headsets, every new review that came up I was checking out. It was fairly unanimous - the Index is indeed one of (if not the) best VR headsets on the market ... but the price is just fucking stupid when you can get similar results from a Rift S. 

If I'm going to be spending nearly a grand on VR gear, I want it to be a generational leap over the current Rift tech - the Valve Index is 100% not that. 

I’ve trawled through a load of Amazon reviews and they’re pretty much in agreement that the S is worth the upgrade over CV1. I think I’ll go down that avenue. 

• Upvote 1

The Rift S is definitely an upgrade (at least on the visuals) from the CV1. The sharpness is excellent, and the headset is very comfortable too. Another plus point is not having to faff about with sensors. The audio is a definite step back though, but I kinda got used to it after a while. Headphones are always an option for Beat Saber and other audio-centric games.

Having said that, I have just sold mine. I also have the Quest, and recently picked up the link cable for it. I'd previously tried an Amazon Basics cable and while it worked, it would stutter and freeze every so often. The official cable has been much better, so much so that I didn't notice that much difference playing it back to back against the Rift S. It's close enough that I can't justify having both headsets now!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, r1skbreak3r said:

The Rift S is definitely an upgrade (at least on the visuals) from the CV1. The sharpness is excellent, and the headset is very comfortable too. Another plus point is not having to faff about with sensors. The audio is a definite step back though, but I kinda got used to it after a while. Headphones are always an option for Beat Saber and other audio-centric games.

Having said that, I have just sold mine. I also have the Quest, and recently picked up the link cable for it. I'd previously tried an Amazon Basics cable and while it worked, it would stutter and freeze every so often. The official cable has been much better, so much so that I didn't notice that much difference playing it back to back against the Rift S. It's close enough that I can't justify having both headsets now!

Ooooh, don't tempt me. The idea of going wireless for games like Beat Saber, while plugging in for Elite (with better blacks due to the OLEDs) is very tempting. 

On the Oculus Link, I was finding it dropped frames and connection using a Amazon Basics 5m cable vs a 3m one. I've put that down to the ports on my laptop not pushing out enough power, but it's handy tip to know if you don't need the extra cable length and don't want to cough £80 for the official Oculus cable.

• Upvote 1

Moss appears to be free on the Oculus store just now

Don't know if its an error but I managed to "buy" it and install it

Will cross-post on the Quest thread too.

Got my Sol permit on Elite and went on a little tour. You can actually land on Mercury's surface. :)

Dropping out of supercruise as close as you can to earth, so that its curvature fills your viewpoint, is awe-inspiring. :)

Have to say really impressed with this! Previously played on a rift around 3 years ago and it needed all sorts of sensors set up and a fairly beefy PC to run.

This equals that setup and obviously betters it in that there is much less configuration to do.

Not even played anything yet went through the tutorials and demos.... Google Earth is impressive as is accessing your Windows desktop and controlling your PC.....

Took a while to go through the firmware updates and initial download of the software.

Will have a proper go tomorrow.... Need to work out how to play steam games on it.... Guessing just a case of booting the game and it detecting the presence of the Oculus....

17 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Will have a proper go tomorrow.... Need to work out how to play steam games on it.... Guessing just a case of booting the game and it detecting the presence of the Oculus....

think you need to download steam vr if you haven't already :)

• Upvote 1

Aye have Steam installed just not booted or messed with it after installing the Oculus! Looking forward to trying a racer at some point!

21 hours ago, Thor said:

The Index is premium quality in build, but from what I can gather (full disclosure, I've never tried the Index myself) the actual graphical fidelity is barely a step up from the Rift S but the price is just fucking stupid when you can get similar results from a Rift S. 

I haven't tried one either but the thing I was looking forward to most on the Index besides the image clarity was the increased FOV, maybe it's not as big a deal as I'd hoped but for a while it seemed like full FOV was the holy grail of VR and a step towards that would be a pretty big improvement. 

5 minutes ago, Rumspringa said:

I haven't tried one either but the thing I was looking forward to most on the Index besides the image clarity was the increased FOV, maybe it's not as big a deal as I'd hoped but for a while it seemed like full FOV was the holy grail of VR and a step towards that would be a pretty big improvement. 

If you want FOV, I believe the Pimax is the HMD to get. If you want image clarity, the HP Reverb is apparently the one to get. I'm happy with the Rift S for now, any future VR spend for me will be on seriously improved and well-supported tech. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about Boneworks for the past few days. How much I like grabbing the side of a humanoids head and then hitting it with a claw hammer. Stabbing them with a knife is also very satisfying. Despite having apparently unleashed my inner psychopath it’s both incredible and disturbing how visceral VR can be. This aspect of the format could go down some very dark paths. 

• Upvote 1

So I've been having some fun and games with this and Steam VR.

So as far as I understand it the old rift had some APIs which devs could use to add VR functionality into their games. Native SteamVR also uses this API directly.

With Oculus Rift S (and I guess Quest) everything must go through their native app or dashboard. So you need to install a Steam VR app onto the S and then run Steam VR will run through that. This appears to be very buggy sometimes this work and other times it's a headache inducing mess!

Anybody else any experiences of this? My kit is patched to the latest versions of the firmware and software.

Maybe it's something I'm missing. Not sure why I can't just use the Oculus exclusively through steam VR without the Oculus app running. Guessing this is by design though?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Other than this it's fecking amazing!!! I've been playing with Google Earth today... Wow... Impressive stuff!

• Upvote 1

Interesting so as expected we now have VR wars :D Effectively the Rift S is a closed system which is fine I guess so they can maintain quality and more importantly control.

It's a bit disappointing really that companies have to behave this way but hey all console manufacturers do the same I guess. Shame as the PC is an open platform didn't expect my VR headset to be locked behind a proprietary app store etc.

I guess there will be workarounds someone has probably already cracked it. However I suppose you'll loose any support from Oculus if you do this within warranty. :-/

So the upshot is if you are thinking of getting a Quest or S just he mindful that you will be locked into the Oculus store and have to buy things through there. However you can get a SteamVR app from the store but it is a bit on the buggy side. Hopefully this will get sorted however I'm guessing Oculus will go out of their way to make playing Steam VR stuff through Oculus a painful and buggy experience (conspiracy mad hat on there!!!).

Hope this helps people when thinking about getting a newer Oculus.

Note all the above is from my deductions, experience and a bit of limited research so far. Happy to be proved wrong though!

I’ve no issues with Steam VR. I just launch it via the Virtual desktop within Oculus and pick what I want to play. 

I did have issues in the past, primarily Steam VR games hanging when I quit out of them but all seems ok currently. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MattyP said:
So the upshot is if you are thinking of getting a Quest or S just he mindful that you will be locked into the Oculus store and have to buy things through there. However you can get a SteamVR app from the store but it is a bit on the buggy side. Hopefully this will get sorted however I'm guessing Oculus will go out of their way to make playing Steam VR stuff through Oculus a painful and buggy experience (conspiracy mad hat on there!!!).

I'm not sure you've got that quite right to be honest.  I have the Oculus windows app running (to load the drivers and so forth for my Rift).  I then double click any Steam VR game from the Steam menu, or a shortcut on my desktop, and it just starts up.  I guess there's a small memory overhead of having two clients running - but even on my ageing rig its a non issue.  I can play all the Steam VR games easily, and I'm certainly not locked into the Oculus store.  I've bought loads of VR stuff on Steam with zero issues.   Some of those games use Steam VRs APIs, while others eg Beat Saber, have the option to use the Oculus native APIs.  You generally get a pop up asking what to run, but you can usually add the switch in the steam shortcut properties too.

If you're really finding SteamVR to be an issue, you can try OpenComposite, which removes the need to run SteamVR completely.  Like I said, i havent bothered.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

HTH

Yeah, I got Dirt Rally via steam. Once I launched it via steam, thereafter it appeared as a game to play in Oculus. 

It'd be extremely counterproductive for Oculus to try and wall off their headsets, so I'm assuming it's just teething issues Matty's having rather than something more, well, stupid on the part of the platform.

Just to confirm are people using the Oculus S or a Quest not an older device?