Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

roskelld

2 minutes ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Haha. That'll do. It does say 3 boxes on the website that I ordered from too. It's gone now as they're out of controllers, unsurprisingly.

Great work on that second set. I paid almost £200 for my Touch controllers at launch (£189.99 I think it was). And I would say they were worth that price, they just feel and work so beautifully and are like magic in your hands. Getting two sets plus Rift for less than £400 is batshit mental!

And yes, getting that extra sensor is super handy as really for the best experience you do want the 3 sensor set-up. You may need a USB extender though, when you buy the sensors seperately they come with one (as they expect the third sensor will be furthest away from the PC), but I think the one that comes with the Touch controllers is just the standard length.

Anyway, with three sensors the tracking is fantastic. Welcome aboard.

I'm joining the club as well. £400 from Amazon for the Rift and Touch Controllers, I've been planning on getting one for a while but at that price I couldn't resist.

I borrowed the first development version for a couple of weeks from a mate a few years ago and thought it was ace (especially The Chair) so I'm really looking forward to trying the latest version.

I'm guessing it all 'just works' now as it was a right faff last time getting each demo/game to work?

I've been playing games across 3x1440 screens but I can't wait to try pCars in VR, already got a wheel. How will I see my telemetry screen though with the goggles on^_^.

I've just bought the VR version of Superhot as well to go alongside the standard version.

Should be here tomorrow. COME ON!

3 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Haha. That'll do. It does say 3 boxes on the website that I ordered from too. It's gone now as they're out of controllers, unsurprisingly.

Would like the sensors and I feel like these controllers aren't the sturdiest in the world so I shall keep them as spare.

You've three sensors, presumably. Set them all up.

the controllers are much more sturdy than you think. You will be punching walls with them by mistake in no time.

1 hour ago, Strategos said:

Borrowing a third sensor from work to test it out before I buy one, what with all the USB issues I've had.  My GF is away for two weeks so I'm going to get my VR head back on :) 

Let me know if you want to pre-alpha test my game :)

Holy Shit. Can't believe how incredible it is and the Touch controllers feel fantastic.

Decided to wait a day while I got a USB 3 expansion card and some 2m USB extension cables. Forgot to get an HDMI one too. I've only done the Touch Tutorial so far.

My wife panicked when she tried it for the first time because she thought she'd lost her wedding rings.

for those of you who have only just got your rifts the echo arena beta is still running until July 17th (with the game being released free at the end of the month) i cant recommend it enough its power ball meets zero g rocket league a great multiplayer game to boot (if your look a more social experience the star trek bridge crew or werewolves within are both great)

22 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Comet, where I got my rift and bonus controllers from are still selling it like that. People on hukd who heard about the controller thing ordered yesterday and got their 4 controllers today. They've sold out and got a few more in a couple of times since last Monday so worth keeping an eye out.

You mean Currys? Comet has been defunct for years.

23 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Still waiting for a shipping date for my Rift, coming up to two weeks since I ordered.  Pretty bad that they are not keep customers informed as to when they might receive their order.

That does sound annoying.  I remember this being a pain in the early days, I'd have hoped it would be better now.

Lone Echo - very very good. I managed an hour before feeling a bit hot and queasy. Suspension of disbelief when interacting with Liv is surprisingly easy. Not sure how well it'd work with two sensors though in a non-360 degree setup (i.e. a front facing one): ended up spinning round and round and round.

The Wave VR is one of the best experiences I've had in VR (and I've tried a LOT). It's essentially a rave in VR, although only generally has lots of people at special events. Outside of this you can just open it anyway, mess around with music and a lightshow, but then there was some kind of arena you could enter which had an amazing show going on.

There were a couple of other people there and you can exchange these orb things which then sends you on a crazy trip together. Collaborating on the dance floor....it's immense. I totally got lost in it and then it was a real shock coming back to the real world. Everyone is an abstract character (I was a lion)...it's like being inside Jeff Minter. In fact that could be the movie title, 'Being Jeff Minter' :) .It's only available for US steam users due to copyright issues on the music, but I got round this by clicking the green 'free' button on this link: https://steamdb.info/app/453000/graphs/.

Video of someone doing a VJ/DJ set here. Flick through it a bit and you will get the idea. Outside of gaming, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I want from VR. Being transported to an abstract yet wonderful playground. And it's free.

Its happened.... its finally fecking happened Alien Isolation is now playable (almost) properly on CV1!!!!    the MotherVR mod has been released and works a treat - a couple of small minor things but its as playable as the version that was playable on the DK2!! - had a go there and feck me forgot how in VR when you meet Alan you shit yourself.... EVERYTIME!

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

On 7/29/2017 at 23:58, Slartibartfast said:

There were a couple of other people there and you can exchange these orb things which then sends you on a crazy trip together. Collaborating on the dance floor....it's immense. I totally got lost in it and then it was a real shock coming back to the real world. Everyone is an abstract character (I was a lion)...it's like being inside Jeff Minter. In fact that could be the movie title, 'Being Jeff Minter' :) .It's only available for US steam users due to copyright issues on the music, but I got round this by clicking the green 'free' button on this link: https://steamdb.info/app/453000/graphs/.

SteamDB is saying I own it but it's not showing up :-/

Thought I’d give a better write up of the Alien Isolation MotherVR Mod since I got to spend a couple of hours on it last night.  First of the install is so easy, where you are actually doubting yourself that was it – you just copy the dll file into your main game folder…and that’s it – all done and dusted.   Fire up the game in steam (no need to run steam VR) and the game opens on the rift headset (also thanks to the new Oculus Home update  oculus creates an Alien Isolation game link  in your oculus library so after the first run you can just run it from in there. (you can remove the intro movies so that game starts straight up into the menus as well)

VR wise it almost perfect – the game looks stunning – I spent a good 30 mins  just exploring the Torrens looking at the stunning detail that has been put into this game (for instance look around the hyper sleep  room all the small personal details of the crew beside each person’s tube etc…). 

Spoiler

I also loaded up one of my save games – the one where you explore the derelict later in the game – the scale etc… is just mind blowing in VR. Being able to walk around and explore the space jockey chamber etc… and then the descent into the egg chamber.    

The full head tracking means you can now lean and peak round corners to see where Alan Is – and yes when Alan catches you its brown trouser time (if you though it was intense in 2d ….. well in VR Everyone will hear you scream!)  

there are 2 issues at the min and remember this is only an early Alpha of the build (Which aren’t major ones as the game is still playable) the FOV when you pull up the scanner its  close your face – while you can still use it its very close, the same goes for terminals in game – they come very close to your face and may require you to squint to read them )  - these are known issues that the Modder is working on.

If you have a rift and own Alien Isolation then this a must download – if you don’t have Alien Isolation then you should buy it as it is that good and whole new level of terror in VR (I wonder how long before Sega step in on this mod or realise that they would sell bucket loads of this game if released official VR DLC or a VR release)