Liverpool FC 2012-2013

I really don't think Shelvey should have been sent off if Evans got nothing. It reminded me of the Mascherano-Fellaini tackle a few years ago, where the player who looked in the worse state got off scott-free. Shelvey was foolish but Evans' tackle looked worse.

As for the state of affairs, I'm generally okay with Rodgers being at the helm. I know we haven't won yet, be it due to bad luck or just not turning up (Arsenal, Sunderland) but there is something there. I do want Gerrard dropped though; he just doesn't fit. And Suarez needs to learn that defenders have mostly wised up to his dribbling so he should PASS IT MORE.

You don't see Johnson pushing him in the small of the back? And Valencia then falling in that direction?

It goes to prove though that football is basically a non contact sport if decision like that are given.

My thoughts on yesterday are that Shelvey can have no complaints in being sent off but the referee got it wrong not sending of Evans as well. It seemed to me from what I watched on MOTD, we were very unlucky not to get at least a point but we still look lacking upfront. If both Agger and Kelly are out for a long period now, we are gonna have huge problems against pacey forwards as Carragher and Skrtel together just don t cut it. Enrique is so out of form is unbelievable as well so are we gonna see Flanagan, Robinson or Wisdom come in now? It was great to see Suso on the pitch yesterday but I can see us continuing to struggle with so many youngsters playing.

All in all though, even though we've yet to win, I feel confident with Rodgers in charge, much more than when Kenny was.

I just can't get my head around how anyone can view that incident and come to that conclusion.

Evans was two footed jump, Shelveys was a right leg studs up with left leg trailing and coming through. Fortunately Shelvey didn't come straight on to the challenge otherwise it could well have been a broken leg.

My verdict- both should have gone.

Why is the timing of the challenge suddenly an issue? There have been plenty of examples of tackles that have cleanly won the ball but with two feet that have resulted in a red card as they are deemed dangerous. This is what usually happens.

For example, Spearing was sent off for one last season.

It is a real shame for Kelly he has looked decent this year. Even though Enrique was poor against Young Boys I am sure he will get his chance.

I also wanted to add what a disgrace the comments made about Halsey on twitter were especially considering that the importance of the result of a football match should have been put into context by the events leading up the game.

Looks like tonight we'll have a similar team to the one that played against Young Boys.

With only a dozen senior players fit and available, Rodgers will not risk his star names tonight. Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Martin Skrtel, Glen Johnson, Pepe Reina and Joe Allen will all be rested ahead of Saturday’s league clash at Norwich City.

Youngsters Suso and Andre Wisdom, who made their first team bows away to Young Boys in the Europa League last week, are set to feature again tonight.

There will also be a debut for 18-year-old German striker Samed Yesil, who was an unused substitute in Switzerland.

In the absence of Gerrard, Jamie Carragher will captain the side with Brad Jones deputising for Reina in goal. Nuri Sahin, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Oussama Assaidi should also start.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/26/jerome-sinclair-could-become-liverpool-fc-s-youngest-player-in-reds-capital-one-cup-tie-at-west-brom-100252-31908663/

So maybe:

Jones

Wisdom Carra Coates Downing

Henderson Suso Sahin

Assaidi Yesil Pacheco

Subs: Gulacsi, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Sinclair, Coady, Morgan

If 'rested' means not even on the subs bench, that's all the rest of our non-injured/suspended players.

What the hell were we doing letting Tom Ince go, arrrgh!

He wanted first team football and didn't think he'd be getting it with us. Which was true last season, though he'd probably be a regular starter now!

Having said that, I regularly watch the Reserves and U18s, and Sterling was always the better player.