Olympic Canoeing

Uncle Mike

Anyone watch much of this today? I don't know much about it, but looks wicked. Watched the qualifiers for men (are there women?) doing C1 and K1 (I think) today.

I really enjoyed it. The course looks really well calibrated to be perfectly doable by all, but only if they nail it at their best.

Will the gates move from stage to stage, or will they get better at that course as the tournament progresses? Also, does it change for the other classes?

Yeah, as I said in the really handy main olympics thread which has now been ruined by being splintered into loads of tiny little threads which will each probably die a death (deep breath)...I thought this was tremendous fun. As you say, the course looks very well designed to be do-able if the canoeists are on their game, but eminently fuckable uppable also. Makes it pretty tense.

Would love to have a go at this sort of thing myself one day.

It's a weird discipline as it's just a completely on the day event. The risk to reward ratio is so fine that one missed gate can totally obliterate your chances so a steady run on your first heat isn't the worst idea in the world.

I've not done C2 but did do a few runs in a raft in the course our first guys have been training on up until they moved onto the olympic course and I think it's the closest I've come dying. My girly noodle arms almost snapped clean off. Definitely do it though!

Yeah 50s for missing a gate is run over. Which, I guess, is as it should be. Is it just 2s per pole hit? Sometimes they seem to rack up 4s penalty all at once, and I can't tell if that's because they hit both poles, or whether it's hitting the same pole twice, or like a severity thing.

It's wicked though. I'm definitely going to go try it out. I assume they'll turn it down somewhat from Olympic-grade flow.

Yeah they'll slow it down from what I gather. Of all the facilities that have been built I think these are the ones that desperately need people to be interested in using them. They basically need to be packed out all week for most of the year to break even apparently.

Davros, there's another run here then semis. Houslow and Florence will crush this hopefully.

It's tougher for women, maybe? They'll be a lot lighter, I guess - and be more susceptible to getting stuck in stoppers? And less power to power through stuff.

The two-men looked harder, too - I guess that's a lot more weight and length, and not that much more power.

They're doing some freestyle kayaking demonstrations this evening at 5:30 which they might televise. They're extremely good fun to watch as it's just someone getting caught in a stopper then flying off a ramp repeatedly to do tricks. It's probably part of a campaign to get it into the games at some point.

You have to do a competency assessment, which costs a tenner:

Non-members

All non-members need to complete a short competency assessment to demonstrate an adequate competency level. This will include an assessment on our flat water pool and Legacy Loop, followed by the Olympic Standard Competition Course for more experienced paddlers. The whole progress takes no more than an hour and gives paddlers a good insight into what the centre can offer.

I've never done it before!

I'd love to do this, it looks like a lot of fun, but as I said in the other thread yesterday (before the split) I'm not a very strong swimmer so would be well out of my depth with something like the Slalom course even with the water at a trickle. The one time I've been in a Kayak I spent more time going round in circles than anything else, at least I didn't roll it I suppose, but that was on a very still lake.

How much chance do these guys get to practice on the course before hand? It looks like you need to do a lot of predicting to get the right lines and that.

We've had a lot longer (almost a year probably) but they don't consider it a huge advantage. Everyone's had long enough to know the course back to front.