rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

7 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Agreed PS4 and switch are faster from cold boot but these things take such little power in standby that you’re probably saving yourself a tenner over the year by cold booting.  Fuck that!

It’s not so much the electricity as the noise for me - the Xbox power brick produces a high-pitched whine unless it’s completely turned off. Really annoying if you’re watching a film with a lot of quiet bits, hence I have it turned off a lot of the time. 

25 minutes ago, K said:

It’s not so much the electricity as the noise for me - the Xbox power brick produces a high-pitched whine unless it’s completely turned off. Really annoying if you’re watching a film with a lot of quiet bits, hence I have it turned off a lot of the time. 

13 minutes ago, Revival said:

That's not normal, You've got a faulty one.

Yup.  Not normal.   I have 4 in the house and no noise from power bricks.   

Fair enough if it's loud enough to annoy you.  Would get it looked at if it's under warranty though. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Yup.  Not normal.   I have 4 in the house and no noise from power bricks.   

Fair enough if it's loud enough to annoy you.  Would get it looked at if it's under warranty though. 

I bought the Xbox in 2014, so well out of warranty unfortunately. I actually bought another power brick to see if that helped, but it still made the same noise. Just unlucky, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

$16 is a small price to pay for having up-to-date games imo.

I use instant on so I'm also to blame but I imagine these days we should be more worried about the environmental cost of wasting power than the cost of it. 

Instant-on is a must for the XB1 and XB1X. I tried a phase of fully powering it down each time but it takes so long to become usable once you've booted it, it's untenable. It's not done once you can see the dash - you've got another couple of minutes to wait before it starts responding to inputs in a reasonable timeframe.

4 hours ago, Revival said:

That's not normal, You've got a faulty one.

It's quite a well documented problem. I had two different Xbox One consoles with the external brick and they both had a coil whine. You can play the lottery getting a replacement or try MS if you're in warranty, but it depends who manufactured the power brick for them and who supplied the component in question. It's like the Delta/Nidec fan thing on the PS4.

12 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Agreed PS4 and switch are faster from cold boot but these things take such little power in standby that you’re probably saving yourself a tenner over the year by cold booting.  Fuck that!

Yeah! Fuck the planet!

See, I'd say mine's as quick as the video mechamonkey posted of the new dash. No idea why, but I'm not complaining.

my bone X is quick to boot

quick to DISPLAY the front end

takes AGES to let me select anything.

Even the thing I was playing when I put it in Shutdown/Standby

oh, and TR: RotTR fails to resume every time. Something about the profile changing. It's all bullshit.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yeah! Fuck the planet!

I stopped eating meat to offset leaving my Xbox on standby. It’s that important. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Not being funny but what do expect from a cold boot?

A gaming console that doesn't take 5 minutes to boot up into an useable state. My PC and Switch both manage it in about a tenth of the time it takes the "SlowBox" :P

6 hours ago, K said:

Yep. Why I turn mine off too.

So, some might remember that a while ago I reported that my One X had started to overheat / was sounding like one of those mental loud public toilet hand dryers and MS refused to do anything about it. It is indeed more than 1 year old yet less than 2 years which EU law states it should be warrantied for. MS support acknowledged the EU law but refuse to comply with it and themselves suggested that I proceeded with an EU online dispute resolution which I went ahead with. Well the 30 days have passed, they've not done anything about it and I'm sick of only being able to play games on it that don't put the hardware under any real strain, so tonight it's getting pulled apart to re apply the suspected crap thermal paste. I'll pop a picture up of my findings and will take a before and after dB reading too :).

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, womble9 said:

So, some might remember that a while ago I reported that my One X had started to overheat / was sounding like one of those mental loud public toilet hand dryers and MS refused to do anything about it. It is indeed more than 1 year old yet less than 2 years which EU law states it should be warrantied for. MS support acknowledged the EU law but refuse to comply with it and themselves suggested that I proceeded with an EU online dispute resolution which I went ahead with. Well the 30 days have passed, they've not done anything about it and I'm sick of only being able to play games on it that don't put the hardware under any real strain, so tonight it's getting pulled apart to re apply the suspected crap thermal paste. I'll pop a picture up of my findings and will take a before and after dB reading too :).

Hang on a sec, what’s the deal if they exceed the 30 days? Can’t you come out of this on top which you may jeopardise by taking it apart?

I know it’s none of my business but I don’t want them to ‘win’

18 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Hang on a sec, what’s the deal if they exceed the 30 days? Can’t you come out of this on top which you may jeopardise by taking it apart?

I know it’s none of my business but I don’t want them to ‘win’

I knew it was coming close to the 30 day limit so logged in (to the ODR site so as to see where it was at) today and saw that it had indeed hit the 30 days and was now closed. Tried calling them but they're closed till Monday but did a while later get a mail from them saying this:

Spoiler

MS1.thumb.jpg.48b72210c6b49d067a1aadcd6c0eae9c.jpg

MS2.thumb.jpg.966ffbe3bef592644f1b26221e739905.jpg

To be honest I'm just a bit sick of it all/ just want the thing working and don't really have the energy to further pursue them for a repair. I've probably spent the best part of 6 hours on the phone to the MS store and MS support (speaking to managers at both) and whilst very friendly / polite (and indeed even agreeing that it should be warrantied for two years, soooo frustrating) none of them were able to do anything other than suggest I go down the ODR route (they provided me with a link).  Pretty poor IMO. 

X reliability does seem to be shite. It's a shame, the one thing they got right with the original Xbone was its build quality, my launch one is still going strong (round a mates house for retirement).

9 minutes ago, womble9 said:

I knew it was coming close to the 30 day limit so logged in (to the ODR site so as to see where it was at) today and saw that it had indeed hit the 30 days and was now closed. Tried calling them but they're closed till Monday but did a while later get a mail from them saying this:

Hide contents

MS1.thumb.jpg.48b72210c6b49d067a1aadcd6c0eae9c.jpg

MS2.thumb.jpg.966ffbe3bef592644f1b26221e739905.jpg

To be honest I'm just a bit sick of it all/ just want the thing working and don't really have the energy to further pursue them for a repair. I've probably spent the best part of 6 hours on the phone to the MS store and MS support (speaking to managers at both) and whilst very friendly / polite (and indeed even agreeing that it should be warrantied for two years, soooo frustrating) none of them were able to do anything other than suggest I go down the ODR route (they provided me with a link).  Pretty poor IMO. 

Yeah, I can see that. It’s a real shame as I bet if one of the higher up people got wind of it they would replace it and hook you up with Doritos.

Good luck with the repair though man

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, McCoy said:

I use instant on so I'm also to blame but I imagine these days we should be more worried about the environmental cost of wasting power than the cost of it. 

After I worked it out, it did make me think about all that idle power. I don't know what percentage of tens of millions of consoles sit in standby, or how much the immediate power draw compares to, say, all the corporate computers, monitors, and laptops that sit in standby or, worse, idle, overnight. 

It is an interesting thing to think about though. I've got an old pc that I'd love to make a server but the idle wattage is 75. I'm better off using a pi, even if vastly less capable. 

Sorry, total hippy. I digress. 

Yeah, they need to slim the Xbox win 10 build way the hell down. Sounds like they're starting to, to be fair. 

• Upvote 1

Surely there’s an ombudsman. You can take this to.   I’ve had them deal with dickhead energy companies and my nephew got them to force an Audi dealership to fully repair or offer a full refund for a £30K car he’d bought off them.    Just need to find the right one that serves your sector.  

13 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Surely there’s an ombudsman. You can take this to.   I’ve had them deal with dickhead energy companies and my nephew got them to force an Audi dealership to fully repair or offer a full refund for a £30K car he’d bought off them.    Just need to find the right one that serves your sector.  

I'd be surprised if you're not completely right but after having spent an age talking directly to MS (at times to senior customer service managers who you'd imagine could sort it out) and then going through the form filling and waiting process that was ODR I'm honestly just kind of jaded / want more than anything to get a quick resolution and the best way forward for that seems to be to fix it myself. Really kind of crap that the one thing they were very happy to do (it was suggested / offered several times) would to be take £204 off me to fix it with them even intimating that they would be doing me a favour!  Didn't get the time to set about it last night but hopefully will this aft. 

Does anyone else find that even while using the “essential” instant on, they sometimes switch on their Xbox to find it can’t connect to Live and the only thing that fixes it is a restart?