mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

12 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Suddenly your games collection has no resale value, and you have to keep upgrading to keep playing.

mmm, pc gaming...

Resale value is meaningless when you can get games cheap enough in the first place for it to be an irrelevance, and if you can't be arsed to wait for those prices or make an alternative effort to reduce them there's always Game Pass. And, just like in PC gaming, you don't particularly have to keep upgrading to keep playing more often than once every several years either. 

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think if this is a tester to see whether or not to include a drive in their next gen console, they need to start bringing digital pricing in line with physical. At the moment people have the choice; convenience of digital / cost and resale for physical, but people would be rightly pissed off if digital only was forced at the current prices.

Yeah, the prices are daft but only to begin with, it's not often long before you can pick up games for something more than reasonable, or wait a bit longer to pick it up for an absolute pittance. The whole pricing model is a mess to be honest, I suspect they'd sell a lot more, or at worst make no less profit, if prices were cheaper to start with and fluctuated less over their lifetime. One of the worst things to happen to gaming has been the ridiculous sales, and moreso the prevalence of them. If you're happy to wait just a few months you can guarantee at least one thing you want to play will have dropped to some too-low-to-ignore price. I've never put a single physical disc in my Xbox One or PS4, and I doubt I ever will. 

5 minutes ago, SeanR said:

yes, because the games will get cheaper, won't they?

Well yeah, that was the point. Looking at the last 20 PS4 and Xbox One games I've bought my total outlay has been under £40 so I'm not really worried about not having any resale value on what was an average spend of £2 per game. 

5 minutes ago, SeanR said:

And renting games? Yeah, no...

If you're considering the cost of a game include the potential value at which you can sell it, then it's pretty much the same as rental in that your ownership is going to be transient. Also, PS+ games are rentals, Xbox One GwG games are rentals (in that access to both is reliant on a continued subscription) but you happily hoover those up when you can, right? Gamepass isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but I think it's pretty good regardless. It wouldn't be hard to imagine MS merging Gold and Gamepass as one all-encompassing service at some point either, it's surely the sort of thing they're ultimately aiming for along with discless consoles.

A disc-less console is ideal for me and I’d be all over a PS4 Pro version. I’d stopped buying any physical games in the last couple of years of the 360 and I’ve only ever put one disc in my PS4 which was the game it came with. I couldn’t even tell you where the eject button is. I guess one side effect of this is that I do now feel locked into Sony given I’ve bought 100s of games digitally as well as having PSplus. 

I’m impressed with Microsoft’s willingness to test ideas and iterate under Phil Spencer. Wish Sony would do the same.  

14 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

I’m impressed with Microsoft’s willingness to test ideas and iterate under Phil Spencer. Wish Sony would do the same.  

they don't have to do shit while they're the market leader. (Compare PSNow to Xbox backwards compatibility)

Give it time.

I’d find a diskless console quite annoying, if only because so many of my 360 games are on disk. I don’t really want to spend loads of money buying them digitally - the Call of Duty games cost a fortune digitally, even in sales. I accept that I’m an edge case, though. 

7 minutes ago, K said:

I’d find a diskless console quite annoying, if only because so many of my 360 games are on disk. I don’t really want to spend loads of money buying them digitally - the Call of Duty games cost a fortune digitally, even in sales. I accept that I’m an edge case, though. 

there'll be a disc-amnesty, where you can trade your filthy round plastic for sweet sweet 1s and 0s*

* yes, the discs are also 1s and 0s, but plastic. PLASTIC!

46 minutes ago, K said:

No-one said they're doing away with a disk version.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184/microsofts-building-a-disc-less-xbox-one-for-release-in-2019

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

• Upvote 3

That would be pretty great if the price is right. Although I would hope that you just need the disk, not the box, as I’ve chucked away most of my old 360 game boxes. 

• Upvote 1

You'd hope they wouldn't want the box, I don't have many special editions but I can imagine people that do would like to hold onto all that stuff. 

I doubt they want to put the games back into circulation as that would mean each physical disc would represent 2 licenses - a physical and a digital one and they'd, presumably have to pay the publishers for the additional licenses. As a result, there's not a good reason for them to want the boxes, surely? 

• Upvote 1

I wonder how the swap system will work. I’d definitely do it with all my discs, but I’m wondering if you’ll have to prove you’ve got the discless console.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

I wonder how the swap system will work. I’d definitely do it with all my discs, but I’m wondering if you’ll have to prove you’ve got the discless console.

I don't see why you would. The game will be getting added to your Xbox account not the machine. 

I'm hoping there's a way of way of just sending a bunch of discs to Microsoft for them to process. 

4 minutes ago, bear said:

I don't see why you would. The game will be getting added to your Xbox account not the machine. 

I'm hoping there's a way of way of just sending a bunch of discs to Microsoft for them to process. 

Whats to stop everyone buying new games cheaper as physical, then swapping for digital? Unless, like I said last night, they bring digital prices in line with physical, or they charge the difference for the swap. It feels ripe for exploiting.

I hope it works out and we get the choice next gen. I’d much rather have everything digital, so a discless console for less money would be perfect for me.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Whats to stop everyone buying new games cheaper as physical, then swapping for digital? Unless, like I said last night, they bring digital prices in line with physical, or they charge the difference for the swap. It feels ripe for exploiting.

Possibly but the disc is still taken out of circulation so the second hand market will be reduced. 

Is anyone else concerned that an all digital future would mean the impossibility of preserving these experiences for future generations? I know, same old argument against digital but I for one find this disheartening. Some people aren't interested in replaying older games but I definitely dip back in to older experiences if the mood strikes.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, grungekid said:

Is anyone else concerned that an all digital future would mean the impossibility of preserving these experiences for future generations? I know, same old argument against digital but I for one find this disheartening. Some people aren't interested in replaying older games but I definitely dip back in to older experiences if the mood strikes.

It’s all part of the plan. MS will start selling the harvested discs on eBay in 15 years for £££. 

Also, games are just zeroes and ones and ripping them from discs hasn’t presented much of a problem in the past. If the data stayed on the disc then I would’ve thought that would be far more fragile. 

18 minutes ago, grungekid said:

Personally, I'm not concerned about it but I imagine that Microsoft will continue with their back/forward compatibility program. 

I'd be very surprised if their next console doesn't play all X1 games, and by extension 360 and original Xbox games. 

Yeah, Microsoft has made it very clear that the whole BC thing is a core aspect of their vision of 'Xbox as a platform' going forward (that also includes PC, which is why Game Pass is coming to PC and why Spencer wants to personally oversee the rebuilding of the Windows Store / Windows Xbox App) - so with Xbox we're set for the time being. Well, assuming that we're getting Tenchu at some point of course or else fuck BC, I'm buying a PlayStation instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I wonder just how cheap the Xbox All Access subscription will be for the discless model? The Xboxone S package at $22 a month worked out as an overall saving of around $130 over the two years of the contract. If the pricing on the discless model is equally as aggressive you might be able to get an Xboxone+Gamepass+Live for around $18 a month. That'd be a seriously good deal.

When you connect an external HDD, does it count as more space, or does it take over as the storage? I'm constantly filling my 1TB, so figured I'd get a new one, but it'd be a shame if it doesn't also use that internal drive.

36 minutes ago, TehStu said:

When you connect an external HDD, does it count as more space, or does it take over as the storage? I'm constantly filling my 1TB, so figured I'd get a new one, but it'd be a shame if it doesn't also use that internal drive.

its additional. Then you also set.it to default. But you can move stuff, and choose stuff, so...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

its additional. Then you also set.it to default. But you can move stuff, and choose stuff, so...

Awesome.

Is there any speed penalty? I've got a usb3 drive handy.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Awesome.

Is there any speed penalty? I've got a usb3 drive handy.

not that you'd notice. The internal interface is sata3, but I'm sure its been benchmarked. I'm looking at two seagates 4tbs for.the ps4.pro and my xbox ones when I get it.

I had a 5tb drive connected to the old bone...

[edit]

some benchmarks

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 3