Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

Here's a photo of a pickup artist I saw at work outside LSE a few weeks ago, perfectly fulfilling all stereotypes about pickup artists. He was exclusively targeting Asian girls, obviously.

IMG_8098.png

I didn't know pick up artists worked on the streets. This entertains me more than you'd think.

When was it limited to Gamergaters games?

OK, I've edited it. Read it back and see if you think that's made your point any stronger.

EDIT: It now reads:

They probably support [banning football] to the exact same level of deadly seriousness that they hope Anita Sarkeesian takes everyone's games away.

As I keep following the Wikipedia & Twitter battles over Gamergate, I started to get depressed over it all, so I put it all aside & just played some videogames, which cheered me up.

Seriously though, for a moment there I started to wonder just what damage this whole mess is going to cause long-term. Are these just Videogame's growing pains? What kind of mark (positive or otherwise) are these events going to leave on our favorite hobby?

You can take a cynical, holistic approach to every issue if you like - "we can't do anything about X unless we do something about issues A, B, C, Y, Z first" - but it is a classic rhetorical cop-out that as I already said conveniently leads to the re-assertion of the status quo and shutdown of any sort of discussion.

True, but I don't really have much affinity with most (sl)activism so it's probably just me.

Just curious does anyone here personally know any one who actively support gamergate? I'm just curious because I seem to know loads of people who do.

Good grief, no. My gaming circle is relatively small these days though.

DigDug, who are these people? What age group etc etc?

Just curious does anyone here personally know any one who actively support gamergate? I'm just curious because I seem to know loads of people who do.

Pretty sure I've got one. It was a very brief discussion as I could see where it was going and therefore changed the subject.

Good grief, no. My gaming circle is relatively small these days though.

DigDug, who are these people? What age group etc etc?

There's the racist guy I live with who on the whole doesn't agree with feminist ideas (or as he put it "they are complaining for the sake of complaining", he's 23) and then there is the universities gaming society(aged 19-22), half of the committee are pro-gamergate and have even started circle jerking on facebook about how Brianna Wu is trolling people to make money.

One time I went to one of their after session socials and this one guy who got voted over me in one of the committee elections (there is lots of cronyism in that society) loudly spoke about how Leigh Alexander's article was "literally saying that gamers were dead" and that one of Total Biscuits videos pretty much proved Kotaku was corrupt. This one person in particular is the reason why I've pretty much stopped going to their meets because if he isn't talking gamergate then he is shit talking games that people are playing while standing right next to them (he might as well tell me it is my fault attendances are bad because that's what he really wants to say), he's an absolute wet blanket and always has this look on his face like he is mad about something.

For what it's worth the local Nintendo Street Pass Group are the total opposite to the universities gaming society, everyone has fun, no one bad mouths games (unless the CDi mario/zelda games are mentioned), people are made to feel welcome (some had used the gaming society but hated how they were treated) and the people running it are sound (they invited me to their house to play cards against humanity and other games).

Ahh Wales. There's your problem

(NB. I also live in Wales)

We actually never had a gaming society when I was at university which was probably just as well. From what you are describing up there it sounds like a small number of pricks ruining it for everyone else. But if they are the ones vocal enough to get themselves as the ones running the society it doesn't reflect very well on the overall culture to be honest.