Cyberpunk 2077 - Please use spoiler tags

I was holding off on this because of a lot of the bad press but its nothing like as bad as suggested, it feels liked a skinned skyrim/fallout tbh.  I'm on pc for reference and it's got some clipping issues but nothing game breaking. 

Had a few chuckles.  One where a doc was working on someone and said 'he'll survive' but he then proceeded to teleport into the wall and I had a proper laugh to myself.

The driving is so shit though and the pedestrians are pointless.  I'm not sure how you end up with this after so much time and development money.  

The driving improves it just takes a while to get used to it.

Tbh I can see where all the time and money has gone, it’s way too ambitious and you can sense at some point how they cut features just to knuckle down and get it out, there’s a lot of bloat. 

I've played another couple of hours and I think I can kind of see what you mean Stanley.  Some things I think are so deep it's to the game detriment.  Some city areas are so dense with side streets and bits that it must have taken a long time to create them but it adds so little to the overall game.  I can't imagine that many people even look at them.  It feels like no-one sat down and tried to manage development time and people just went off and did what they wanted.

Maybe just me but I suspect a lot of people play like me and just go from map-point to map-point.

14 minutes ago, tenrou said:

Maybe just me but I suspect a lot of people play like me and just go from map-point to map-point.

Man, what a waste.

I love having a wander, in fact I love it too much and keep ignoring all my stats etc, you know, the game bit. I can see myself playing this for the next 6 months or so sinking a lot of time into it, it’s not one you can really shoot through quickly. 

1 hour ago, tenrou said:

I've played another couple of hours and I think I can kind of see what you mean Stanley.  Some things I think are so deep it's to the game detriment.  Some city areas are so dense with side streets and bits that it must have taken a long time to create them but it adds so little to the overall game.  I can't imagine that many people even look at them.  It feels like no-one sat down and tried to manage development time and people just went off and did what they wanted.

I  think the feeling of depth is there, but if you walk around for a while there's just isn't much going on. People milling about, the odd random identikit mugging, not a huge chance of stumbling across something interesting that you'd miss just careening around in a car waiting for calls or by playing by the map. I don't get games obsession with ever vaster worlds.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

I  think the feeling of depth is there, but if you walk around for a while there's just isn't much going on. People milling about, the odd random identikit mugging, not a huge chance of stumbling across something interesting that you'd miss just careening around in a car waiting for calls or by playing by the map. I don't get games obsession with ever vaster worlds.

I completely disagree. It’s the city that is there to discover - by which I mean the incredibly designed space. And aside from the fabulous city, there are the little details, the cyberpunk Easter eggs, the conversations people are having with each other - it is cram packed with stuff you never notice in a car.

If that stuff isn’t of interest, then of course you may as well just tool around the waypoints.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

I completely disagree. It’s the city that is there to discover - by which I mean the incredibly designed space. And aside from the fabulous city, there are the little details, the cyberpunk Easter eggs, the conversations people are having with each other - it is cram packed with stuff you never notice in a car.

If that stuff isn’t of interest, then of course you may as well just tool around the waypoints.

I played for over 100 hours and rarely heard more than stock one liners. I ran/walked a load too, so I don't get this.

I don’t know how that’s possible. I am over 150 hours in and still hearing people have conversations I’ve never heard before. 

You will always find a couple of people who are having five or six line exchange wherever you go. What I’d love is for them to expand this even more.

Out in the Badlands I'd think to myself "WTF am I doing all the way out here?" before stumbling upon something really cool and hidden.

36 minutes ago, Festoon said:

"Oh, go swallow a fly!"

“What’s up in the big world!”

See, that’s where they should have really expanded things, individual pedestrians must have twenty phrases they trot out…when you consider the depth of writing elsewhere it just doesn’t make any sense.

22 hours ago, ZOK said:

“What’s up in the big world!”

See, that’s where they should have really expanded things, individual pedestrians must have twenty phrases they trot out…when you consider the depth of writing elsewhere it just doesn’t make any sense.

No, I don’t think money is the reason. There is so much money sloshing around in that game on almost invisible stuff, and you could probably triple the amount of individual comments for half a day’s work and a grand.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

No, I don’t think money is the reason. There is so much money sloshing around in that game on almost invisible stuff, and you could probably triple the amount of individual comments for half a day’s work and a grand.

Probably a case of different teams working on different aspects of the game, some further along than others, and eventually them having to draw a line under it all and try and bring it all together into a cohesive whole. 

The team that handles inventory management and UI needs shooting. 

On the subject of the game's graphics, I'm in total agreement that they're something pretty special. Sometimes I'll think "hmm, GTA V does a better job" and indeed it does create a more consistently believable world. GTA is off the chart with its minute details and world building but when Cyberpunk is at its best it blows my balls off in a way GTA V just doesn't have a hope in doing. 

Interiors and important character interactions look stunning. Sitting at a bar in a neon drenched nightclub talking to (now don't get heavy at me here, I'm not a pervo, normally) an absolutely gorgeous character model gives me chills. I (and this is the first time I can say I've ever thought this about a videogame) have several crushes with some of the ladies I've met in Night City. I think it's the amazing design and modelling, they can look so frigging realistic and....er, hot. They ain't no damsels in distress either. Pretty kick ass ladies.

It's really got its hooks into me, can't put it down. I chilled on the gunplay earlier and infiltrated a warehouse using only my cyberware mods. Friendly cameras and suicides all over the shop. Beautiful.

The more I play the more I love it. More fool those who ride on the wave of overreaction to hating the game. They're missing out on a bona fide classic. (I am a little annoyed at CDPR, they have a storming game here but fluffed the landing, now rightly or wrongly the game is going to be maligned by a lot of people 'till the end of days, pisses me off seeing fud being written by people on certain forums who seem to be revelling in the launch problems without really investigating what the game truly offers. Their loss, mind)

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to go ebay 'Cyberpunk waifu pillow'.

p.s I'm not serious btw, I don't have a real world crush on a bunch of pixels, they are fantastically created and voiced though, I'm still gonna get that pillow.

Young Rogue is off the chain, man. Crazy. She’s so well aged-up as well. I can’t quite believe it. That’s a massive advantage of videogames over movies. Did anyone see Gemini Man? I found it almost unwatchable, such was the uncanny valley. 

I tell you what's annoying, that there's basically no reward for 

Spoiler

beating Razor Hugh in "Beat on the Brat". I ain't taking no dive, Coach!

He was a pain in the hole to beat, and that fucking RATATATATATATA music! :D

On 03/05/2021 at 13:55, Festoon said:

Yeah, this is a bonkers take. I keep going back to wander about the city having cleared everything and I'm still finding areas that I've missed which have stuff to find and do. Nothing as spectacular as the main missions of course but lots of skirmishes and bits of story. There are elevators, garages and keypad doors tucked away all over the place and fights between different factions you can run into.

It feels really jarring to go back to an open world game with the bog standard Ubisoft model of an empty terrain map with identikit towns and enemy camps copies and pasted at regular intervals.

On 04/05/2021 at 18:04, ZOK said:

I'd imagine that it's the same situation as the soundtrack (which is ~200 tracks but seems to start the radio stations on the same handful every time) - there are probably loads more pedestrian barks that we're estimating because the same ones are repeated so often over the course of the game.

Money and time is a factor though, if you start thinking about localisation etc. At a certain point you hit diminishing returns.

23 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Well bollocks to Claire, I've just been invited to 

Reveal hidden contents

The dam with Judy and she's DTF

Oh my. 

200.gif

Is this a goddamn joke? 

Spoiler

I did the romance quest with Judy, and it was really quite sweet, "nicely played" I thought as she gives you access to her apartment, a nice place to crash with my girlfriend.

Oh no. You get to go there, say two lines of dialogue to her, which never change, and you can't sleep there. Nothing changes.

Is this meant to be some cynical satire on modern relationships or something?

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Is this a goddamn joke? 

Hide contents

I did the romance quest with Judy, and it was really quite sweet, "nicely played" I thought as she gives you access to her apartment, a nice place to crash with my girlfriend.

Oh no. You get to go there, say two lines of dialogue to her, which never change, and you can't sleep there. Nothing changes.

Is this meant to be some cynical satire on modern relationships or something?

Maybe she has calibrations to finish