Oracle

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Anyone done leg of lamb on a Weber? I need to do lamb for 9 people on Sunday. I'm thinking I won't be able to get a shoulder joint big enough for 9, but two legs should be fine. Sounds like a quick sear and then indirect for 1h 30 to 1h 45 is the recommended method, just wondered if anyone has tried it. I'm wondering whether to sear then wrap in foil to stop it drying out too much?

1 hour ago, Rockboy said:

Anyone done leg of lamb on a Weber? I need to do lamb for 9 people on Sunday. I'm thinking I won't be able to get a shoulder joint big enough for 9, but two legs should be fine. Sounds like a quick sear and then indirect for 1h 30 to 1h 45 is the recommended method, just wondered if anyone has tried it. I'm wondering whether to sear then wrap in foil to stop it drying out too much?

I’ve done loads of lamb as it’s epic on the BBQ, don’t wrap in foil as I find meat doesn’t ever dry out on the Weber unlike an oven esp lamb when hopefully you are cooking it pink! Your method seems spot on sans the foil, just have plenty of resting time.

If you you end up with shoulder low and slow is better, legs I’ve done hot and fast and not needed to sear or maybe on the hot coals at the end - even better on a rotisserie if you have one?

Do you have a thermometer? Perfect meat is a thermometer away!

Thanks @Shimmyhill yep definitely hoping to keep it pink! Will skip the foil then. I ended up getting two medium sized legs of lamb. I have the Weber premium with the trays either side, so figured I can cook the legs in the middle and then give them a quick blast at the end over the coals if they need a bit of colour. I do have a meat thermometer, what temp do you think for pink?

21 hours ago, Rockboy said:

Thanks @Shimmyhill yep definitely hoping to keep it pink! Will skip the foil then. I ended up getting two medium sized legs of lamb. I have the Weber premium with the trays either side, so figured I can cook the legs in the middle and then give them a quick blast at the end over the coals if they need a bit of colour. I do have a meat thermometer, what temp do you think for pink?

55-60c range I usually aim for, google ‘meathead temp chart’ as I have one of those on my fridge I use for any meat I cook!

I generally have coals one side and meat on opposite, again amazingribs website says it’s better than the split trays method and he goes into the science of it all so who am I to argue!

Well worth a read if you haven’t already https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-set-charcoal-grill-smoking-or

@Nick_L welcome to the Traeger club, love the look of the new one with WiFi so very jealous! Make sure you report back

• Upvote 2

Left the steak marinading over night, just threw it on the traeger for a 5 hour cycle. It’s pretty awesome using the app, just hit cook and it manages all the cycles for you. Updated the firmware on it too, good times :lol:

will update once cooked :)

UPDATE:

Turned out perfect and tastes awesome! Little bit of pellet dust but I think that'll get better as the inside gets coated.

IMG-0872.JPG

IMG-0873.JPG

Going to go a pizza in it tomorrow :)

• Upvote 2

File%2022-04-2019,%2016%2050%2007.jpeg?r@Nick_L the dust defi goes quickly, I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it - get a pork shoulder on there next! Did you line the drip try with foil? Forgot to say about that as it’s a nightmare to clean if you don’t line!

The lamb is now on the Weber, I forget how good the setup with slow n sear is - it’s sat there holding the temp I’m aiming for, probably holding temp as reliably as the Traeger does once you are used to it - love them both of course and now to stare at the thermometer for 3 hours ;)