Oracle

The Smoking and BBQ thread

Yeah, it’ll chew through them at high temps - especially as it’s not been that warm out today. 

If if it’s the same as mine then you have the fire box, then there’s a metal frame that sits on top of that which has a lip poking up on the edge furthest from the drain hole. You then hook the drip tray over that lip while the spout pokes out through the hole. 

I just looked at a pic and I had it on wrong, it will naturally sit horizontally but there is a bit of metal to raise it up making the fat flow to the spout.

As you can see in one pic I did take the fat was pooling and then burning, there was so much smoke I got smoke rings on the sausages i did!

File%2007-06-2018,%2022%2013%2019.jpeg?r

Onwards and upwards!

Damn, they look great (grate) 

I have been reading this thread from the start this afternoon, been fun following the journeys many of us have been on to this point :) It also reminded me how much I love lamb on the bbq so going to put an order in for a lamb shoulder, pork butt and some ribs and go mad learning the Traeger!

I think @The Hierophant has been slacking on post/pics of late....

Ha ha ha. I have. That’s not because I haven’t been BBQing, I have!

Pulled pork today. I put it on at 6:30 and took it off about 13:30 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=623a6d56661830bc8A903B62-4594-4BDF-9555-219581F8D8A5.thumb.jpeg.a11bfe5456d099d753243b240e7aeb36.jpeg

1F70533B-9D55-49EB-8AD6-AA3DC7DDC810.thumb.jpeg.7b2a06bbff22e3cef0a73155922f45cb.jpeg

C040A448-BAD7-4EA9-A900-D7A6809C78FD.thumb.jpeg.9352aeb2757b677df559ff3482c192e4.jpeg

We're just about to eat. 

BBQ was a little lower than I would have liked, snake method with hickory chips. 

Homemade BBQ sauce with some of the fat from the pork; homemade potato salad (homemade mayonnaise); homemade salsa; pittas; asparagus; sweet corn. 

B08B6071-60F7-4722-96B7-1C5117E70DEB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This was from a few weeks ago:

DDAD77CB-78B3-4FC2-ABA4-11FECF36329F.thumb.jpeg.5875ee116df6ab946bfd94396654ab18.jpeg

14644E7D-4128-4F8E-9B0F-FB220F9787C2.thumb.jpeg.d4e548832c1da7e669563d21bdffbe2d.jpeg

That was pork again. The two pots are a bbq sauce and a ragu. I like to use the heat from the bbq when cooking indirectly. 

I've not just done pork. A few ordinary BBQs (homemade burgers and local sausages); shoulder of lamb (slow cooked with a homemade tzatziki; couple of whole chicken (beer can method); some chicken pieces marinated in homemade tandoori mix. 

I've just done more eating than photography!

• Upvote 1

I knew it ;) 

Waitrose have beef short ribs on offer, I know mixed audience in here for them but they are really cheap so bought up a load today to have some smoking practice!

I did some last summer and I’m not sure. They look impressive but the texture isn’t to my liking.  My wife announced today that actually she doesn’t think she likes pork. So that’s nice.

I need to find a really good bbq chicken recipe. She’s not into bones or skin which makes things trickier, I might try smoking some skinless boneless thighs and see how they come out. 

39 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I did some last summer and I’m not sure. They look impressive but the texture isn’t to my liking.  My wife announced today that actually she doesn’t think she likes pork. So that’s nice.

I need to find a really good bbq chicken recipe. She’s not into bones or skin which makes things trickier, I might try smoking some skinless boneless thighs and see how they come out. 

I like them but many don’t, very beefy.

Have you considered divorce!? With chicken, cook on the bone and take off - always better on the bone! 

Yeah, I love short ribs. You have to remove the papery membrane on the bottom of the bone.  Then a spicy rub and low and slow. 

When end I do chicken on the BBQ most of the time I marinate a whole chicken in BBQ sauce for a day or so then beer can chicken with the older version of this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Style-Poultry-Infusion-Roaster/dp/B00FLRBMHW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FLRBMHW

Indirect heat in a hot bbq and paste regularly in the marinade. It cooks in no time and is a massive favourite with the family. Carve. Serve the breasts and legs.  When it’s cool pull the meat off what’s left for fantastic leftovers. I'm going to do a tandoori version soon. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Yeah, I love short ribs. You have to remove the papery membrane on the bottom of the bone.  Then a spicy rub and low and slow. 

When end I do chicken on the BBQ most of the time I marinate a whole chicken in BBQ sauce for a day or so then beer can chicken with the older version of this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weber-Style-Poultry-Infusion-Roaster/dp/B00FLRBMHW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FLRBMHW

Indirect heat in a hot bbq and paste regularly in the marinade. It cooks in no time and is a massive favourite with the family. Carve. Serve the breasts and legs.  When it’s cool pull the meat off what’s left for fantastic leftovers. I'm going to do a tandoori version soon. 

Ibe never had a spicy rub on beef ribs, got a recipe?

Had a crappy day and to take my mind off it I did some of the beef short ribs, much more successful use of the Traeger and the grease all ran into the bucket :) 

File%2013-06-2018,%2001%2005%2036.jpeg?r

• Upvote 1