Oracle

The Smoking and BBQ thread

It's on like donkey kong, my first BBQ of the year is planned for tomorrow:

Pulled Pork RLLMUK Style

Bacon Explosion

Sour Dough Baps

Home made slaw

Need to have some non pork stuff there too, any suggestions?

I had a revelation the other weekend - we had some nice fat cumberland sausages I wanted to BBQ, but concerned about getting the cooking right (avoiding uncooked inside, burnt outside) I decided to poach them first. So I added them to a gently simmering pan of water for about 15 mins, drained them well, then stuck them over the hot coals to brown off.

They were great! Nicely juicy on the inside but with that lovely crusty outside. It's probably less of an issue with chipolatas, but I think I'll do that for all big fat ones in future. Even better, you can poach them well in advance to save time.

I bet it's how Heston Blumenthal does his sausages.

I just do our sausages with indirect heat. Poaching them sounds almost as bad as pricking them

Nah, pricking allows all the juice to leak out, but this way it doesn't. It just felt like I was really in control and could cook them exactly how I wanted them.

• Upvote 1

Why? I think that sounds like a great idea. That's a lot of German sausages are cooked isn't it?

Yeah but if you look at the ends of most of the german sausages that are designed around poaching, they are sealed unlike most British sausages where all of the flavour can leak out.

• Upvote 1

All of the flavour? Really, with just gentle poaching? I seriously doubt it. The flavour would no more leak out of the ends in a pan of water than it would on a BBQ, or in a pan, or an oven, or any other heat source.

I think it's a great idea, I'm going to try it when I have a BBQ on the beach next.

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying "OMG LITERALLY ALL OF THE FLAVOUR WILL LEAK OUT" but certainly IMO since I'm having to be pointing that out, I have had poached sausages before that were less than flavoursome, maybe that was just because the person used too much water poaching them and it went into the sausage, who knows, but it didn't turn out well

IMO

• Upvote 1

This is too strange. I was googling 'end of the world-BBQ 2012-rllmukforum.com' and this was literally the first hit on googles search-engine.

Personally I enjoy pork and chicken, first started in an oven and then finished off on the BBQ. Most working-classes don't understand the concept of simple decent food, because it entails some sort of effort.

Not where I meant to go with that previous paragraph tbh.

This is too strange. I was googling 'end of the world-BBQ 2012-rllmukforum.com' and this was literally the first hit on googles search-engine.

Personally I enjoy pork and chicken, first started in an oven and then finished off on the BBQ. Most working-classes don't understand the concept of simple decent food, because it entails some sort of effort.

Not where I meant to go with that previous paragraph tbh.

Please spare us your comedy, you have to admit that post is really, really weak. If you're going to troll at least make it funny, that's just half hearted wank.

• Upvote 2

Wtf. The first part ok. But the second part was a genuine thought. Tbh, I don't think it's actually possible to achieve decent crackling on pork skin in a BBQ, unless you prep it in the oven beforehand.

I plus we'd your attacking post, just to show there are no hard feelings.

I trust you'll reciprocate.

• Downvote 1

I'm not saying "OMG LITERALLY ALL OF THE FLAVOUR WILL LEAK OUT" but certainly IMO since I'm having to be pointing that out, I have had poached sausages before that were less than flavoursome, maybe that was just because the person used too much water poaching them and it went into the sausage, who knows, but it didn't turn out well

IMO

Well I may well be wrong, but a gentle poach in shallow water? Can't see the problem.

I know it's your opinion Kit, I'm just challenging it (quite gently I thought).

• Upvote 3

I have spent half the day looking st the weather and the rest on the big green egg's uk bbq/smoker website trying to justify to myself why i need a £600-800 smoker.

I do love the idea of sticking shoulders, briskets and ribs on it though and leaving them for hours

• Upvote 1

Talk to me about BBQ's!

Now, i've got a fairly good gas BBQ, and i'm after some tips.

I've tended to overcook burgers and stuff because i'm worried about getting the squits.

Ideally i'd like to cook stuff properly to keep the taste locked in, so if anyone has any tips they would be appreciated..

I've just bought a thermal probe (fnaaaar fnaaar) so I can ensure the centre is cooked properly without resorting to turning the meat into charcol...

What about putting oil on the grill and garnishing the burgers pre cook??

I tend to only cook the waitrose 1/4 aberdeen angus special cut burgers when I do it, as they cheap shit tastes rank....

Get yourself on amazon and get a burger maker - cheap and makes excellent burgers, and you get to choose exactly what goes in them. And I tend to start off chicken & sausages on a low heat in the oven and then transfer to the BBQ.

Wooh! Got a BBQ this Saturday, and I'm taking

2kg pork belly that I'll have pre-braised and pressed, then made into Char Siu kebabs

1.5Kg brisket that's been brining for two weeks, and I'll give it 48 hours in a water bath before sticking it on the BBQ

2kg skirt steak/pork shoulder/bone marrow burgers

2 big jars of homemade kimchi

And I've been on a diet for 3 weeks, so I'll probably eat the lot myself!

Wooh! Got a BBQ this Saturday, and I'm taking

2kg pork belly that I'll have pre-braised and pressed, then made into Char Siu kebabs

1.5Kg brisket that's been brining for two weeks, and I'll give it 48 hours in a water bath before sticking it on the BBQ

2kg skirt steak/pork shoulder/bone marrow burgers

2 big jars of homemade kimchi

And I've been on a diet for 3 weeks, so I'll probably eat the lot myself!

What's your recipe for the kimchi? Interested in trying a bit of that. I brined a brisket a couple of weeks ago, made it into salt beef though. Keen to try it again but smoke it on the bbq for pastrami.