rllmuk
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

1 minute ago, Anne Summers said:

Not the most exciting, action packed or intriguing episode but just great to have the gang back together, so I was smiling all the way through. 

Not entirely sure where they are going with the thing about Daenerys actually being a bit of a cunt, when she's been built up to be the compassionate face of the Targaryen's through the whole series - freeing slaves, sparing people's lives (sometimes), promising not to be like her predecessors, etc. People seem to be predicting she's going to end up facing off against Jon Snow (effectively making her a villain) in the end - I don't see it myself, I think there's going to be some guff about her realising the power's gone to her head but deep down she's basically a lovely person. GoT doesn't tend to do nuanced and unconventional narratives, it's mostly been tropes, good v evil, redemption - Star Wars stuff, all the way up until now, and I don't see them turning that on its head for the final season. 

That’s not exactly a new concept though, for the last couple of seasons there’s been that constant tension of her wanting to act and being frustrated at being held back by her counsellors

what was genuinely irritating was that guy’s father was an absolute cunt to him so it was extremely flimsy to have him suddenly turn on her for basically doing him a favour. 

12 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Some of those limbs were pretty high up on the wall too.  I mean, did he use a ladder to get up there or were they just sitting on each other shoulders while he directed them where to place the arms and legs?

He got Wun Wun’s one-eyed wight brother to do the higher up bits.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, linkster said:

That’s not exactly a new concept though, for the last couple of seasons there’s been that constant tension of her wanting to act and being frustrated at being held back by her counsellors

what was genuinely irritating was that guy’s father was an absolute cunt to him so it was extremely flimsy to have him suddenly turn on her for basically doing him a favour. 

Yeah - All I can really think is that it's another piece of (fairly transparent) misdirection like they tried to pull with Arya and Sansa falling out/ not really falling out, just tricking Littlefinger. 

Like "Sam is going to turn Jon against Daenerys" + "Oh no, he actually isn't, and Jon and Daenerys take out Cersei" = twisty, turny plotline full of intrigue that keeps the audience guessing right up till the last minute (though not really). 

• Empathy 1

Arya's weapon is a Darth Maul type staff with Dragonglass on one end and her Valyrian steel dagger on the other.  And it can detach in the middle for close quarter combat like some Cervantes shit.

I agree. Looked like two ends put onto the same weapon. 

The stupidest part of the episode for me wasn't Theon's.  It was the Last Hearth scene.  Why would the Night King spend precious time on his way to slaughtering everyone in Winterfell perfecting his little boy art masterpiece while his whole dead army just sat there waiting.  Some of those limbs were pretty high up on the wall too.  I mean, did he use a ladder to get up there or were they just sitting on each other shoulders while he directed them where to place the arms and legs?

The rest of it was lovely though.  Hurry up episode 2!

He’s killing people to add to the army. 

I think they're trying to make sure he is not portrayed as a mindless zombie. He’s clever, he has strategy, he can play mind games. And one of the biggest things you can do, especially during harsh medieval war, is to destroy moral and have an air of witchcraft around you. It can make men refuse to call to arms. 

• Upvote 1

What did everyone think of the new opening credits? I love the tiles flipping over to be ice blue, showing the path of the Walkers. 

Wondering if it'll be different each show because of that, to show their progression. 

• Upvote 3

On 17/04/2019 at 09:53, Omizzay said:

And it can detach in the middle for close quarter combat like some Cervantes shit.

That'll be Groh these days.

On 17/04/2019 at 14:37, DirkCrisis said:

If it wasn't for Bran, Euron would be by far the most annoying clown character in this show.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, NexivRed said:

What did everyone think of the new opening credits? I love the tiles flipping over to be ice blue, showing the path of the Walkers. 

Wondering if it'll be different each show because of that, to show their progression. 

We said they actually got the episodes made in a year as usual, it just took another year to do the title sequence!

Something that popped in to my head: where the fuck was Ghost? Did Ghost die and I miss it?

Given the imporrance of the Direwolves to the start of the story, it's weird he's just gone.

11 hours ago, linkster said:

Yeah no. His brother mate. His little brother. 

13 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Not entirely sure where they are going with the thing about Daenerys actually being a bit of a cunt, when she's been built up to be the compassionate face of the Targaryen's through the whole series - freeing slaves, sparing people's lives (sometimes), promising not to be like her predecessors, etc.

She's never been the benevolent force she thinks she is, she just overthrows one oppressive dictatorship and replaces it with another. 

13 hours ago, linkster said:

Sam was more upset that his brother was killed than his father - he actually liked Dickon (:lol:), as his brother got on well with him, and was a nice bloke. Sam says as much in the episode when she tells him his dads dead - "Oh! Well at least I can go home, as my brother will now be head of the family" Doesnt really care about his cunt of a father who got rid of him to the nights watch.

3 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

No CGI budget for elephants, no CGI budget for Direwolves. 

This annoys me more than it should. They bigged them up at the start of the series, and now they may as well not have existed as they did almost bugger all the entire show :hmm:

Ghost will appear if there's a reason, but they're not likely to waste the production time and resources sticking him in a random scene purely to show he's there.

• Upvote 2

It did seem like a particularly cheap episode to me. Two schools of thought, either they've saved all the budget for the big finale, or they've realised that the audience are locked in regardless and there's potentially hundreds of millions in extra profit to be made by finishing it on the cheap and pocketing the extra budget. 

Season 8 has a $90m budget for 6 episodes. So $15m per ep. But at least half of that is going on cast.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’m still watching this, but ever since they diverged from the books it’s more Eastenders than GRRM.

Its a huge huge fall in quality. I watched an episode of season 4 last night and they quality of the intrigue and the way its all part of a larger jigsaw while still constantly throwing surprises at you is superlative writing. 

Season 7 had none of that nuance. The first ep of this season reminded me of Made in Chelsea. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh great, we're finally at the "it's cool to hate" stage. 

Thats not whats happening. Seasons 1-6 are as good as TV gets. We're lamenting the dropoff. 

• Upvote 8

People vs the Ice-zombies just isn't as interesting to me as People vs the enormous crushing weight of their family legacies. It couldn't quite recover after Tywin got killed. At one point there were like 6 different main plots and they were all barn burners but now everyone is pretty much on the same questline. 

Still loads of fun though

• Upvote 3

Which season had the beach fight? Season 5 or 6? It kind of lost me there. Still loved a lot of other stuff obviously but i keep thinking if even after season 1 stretching to 13 episodes or/and having a two year break inbetween some seasons might not have been enough for George R. R. Martin to finish the story before the show does. Then you think had they started the show 10-15 years later Arya wouldn't be played by Maisie Williams (no loss) nor Joffrey Jack Gleeson (big loss). Maybe better actors would have played Sansa and Daenerys.

Season 1 is still my favourite season.

• Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Which season had the beach fight? Season 5 or 6? It kind of lost me there. Still loved a lot of other stuff obviously but i keep thinking if even after season 1 stretching to 13 episodes or/and having a two year break inbetween some seasons might not have been enough for George R. R. Martin to finish the story before the show does. Then you think had they started the show 10-15 years later Arya wouldn't be played by Maisie Williams (no loss) nor Joffrey Jack Gleeson (big loss). Maybe better actors would have played Sansa and Daenerys.

Season 1 is still my favourite season.

HA! He thinks the books will be finished in 10-15 years!

• Upvote 1