Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Assassin's Creed III - More Bugs Than Starship Troopers

Vs4MN.jpg

AKwca.jpg

Well, this is interesting. A Best Buy worker just emailed us two images snapped from their employee news section. One shows that Ubisoft will be unveiling Assassin's Creed IIIon March 5, and that there'll be pre-order bonuses to be had. Whatever.

The other is a shot of what they say is the game's promotional art. Featuring what may well beAssassin's Creed III's star.

If this is legitimate, and remember, this is completely unconfirmed, it appears that the chatter placing the third game in the series in the American Revolution is spot-on. In the background is the original Continental flag, the Assassin is wearing an 18th-century military jacket and from his weaponry, jewellery and resemblance to actor Wes Studi he appears to be Native American. Or, since you'd expect he's still part of hero Desmond's bloodline, half-Native American.

You just know that the portrayal of the Americans as rah rah rah defenders of freedom and liberty (cryingeagle.jpg) and every British person as moustache twirling sadist villian is going to grate.

Actually saying that aren't the AC development team from all over the shop (at least that's what the "Please don't suicide bomb us" message at the start of each AC game assures me) so hopefully we won't get the videogame equivalent of Mel Gibson's The Patriot.

• Upvote 2

You just know that the portrayal of the Americans as rah rah rah defenders of freedom and liberty (cryingeagle.jpg) and every British person as moustache twirling sadist villian is going to grate.

Since Ubisoft is French/Canadian/French-Canadian, I'm hoping they'll avoid any such nonsense.

Well they managed to go through Italy without 'ehhhh, I make-a da pizza!'

Yehbut, they still managed an "It'sa me, a-Mario!".

• Upvote 1

I am hoping they will shake-up the formula and this allows them to move the game into more natural settings instead of more cities. Being a stealthy native assassin in woods and mountains could be absolutely awesome if they get it right. Looking forward to hearing more details. Couldn't get into Revolutions, so I'm hoping this will rekindle my interest in the series.

Hmm.

Architecture during the American civil war era was mostly 1-2 storey max, small townships and lots and lots of open space and fields.

I don't see how a series famous for its verticality is going to play in that environment...

Victorian London would have been immense!

Actually saying that aren't the AC development team from all over the shop (at least that's what the "Please don't suicide bomb us" message at the start of each AC game assures me) so hopefully we won't get the videogame equivalent of Mel Gibson's The Patriot.

Nah, if anything they'll set up a load of prominent American historical figures as the baddies.

I don't see how a series famous for its verticality is going to play in that environment...

Christ. Don't start that again.

Nah, if anything they'll set up a load of prominent American historical figures as the baddies.

According to the glyphs in II and B, they've already set up a load of prominent American historical figures as the baddies...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sounds more like RDR than AC - a lot of riding on horseback.

At least there won't be any stairs or sudden elevation changes for the horse to get trapped in - just lots and lots of bare land.

According to the glyphs in II and B, they've already set up a load of prominent American historical figures as the baddies...

Yeah, exactly. It'll be the most powerful men of the time.

+1 for Victorian London. So much potential in terms of both historical figures and the location.

Not enthused by this setting at all. I would have preferred practically any other historical era than this.

I suppose the can spin it as an evolution of the Assassins... they were going to be rubbish in modern day terms if they still relied on the hidden blade and their old techniques, so if done correctly it will show how Ezio's kids managed to change with the times whilst still retained the order

The setting seems completely inappropriate for an AC game purely due to the architecture (it's interesting otherwise but I don't see how this can work properly, at this stage). They haven't really put their feet wrong yet though, for the past few games, so I guess I'll withhold judgement for now.

Interesting setting. I'm curious how they'll integrate the former city-based gameplay with such a rural environment. Props to Ubisoft for not creating another walled-medieval-metropolis though.

Totally agree. I guess details will arrive as sooon as the new GI hits, but I'm really hoping this puts the assassin back in Assassin's Creed. Hiding in the woods and striking, going guerrilla with a tomahawk. I've climbed enough buildings for a lifetime, shake up the formula.

• Upvote 2

They need to make big changes to the game anyway - Revelations was the fourth iteration of Assassins Creed, and it’s getting a bit tired. A more open, wild country setting that’s closer to something like RDR could be interesting and a welcome change from holding down the right trigger to climb up another building using the same animation we’ve been staring at for five years.

Plus, they could involve more of the present-day storyline, so you could conceivably have Desmond swinging around present-day locations, as an interlude from whatever you’re doing in eighteenth century America.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm they'd have to completely re-jig the games systems then.

The AC games so far haven't been stealth games per-se. More social stealth and blending.

Definitely, but after four games I would totally welcome such a change in mechanics. Of course it might play very similar to the others, it's simply too early to tell at this point. I like natural environments though, I find them more appealing than cities.

I'm not sure.

It's all well and good saying that having it like RDR would be a nice change but ACII had a nice blend of built up areas and open countryside. I enjoyed strolling around or having missions where you had to gallop across the scenery but ultimately I had my fill of that by the time I got to go to Venezia.

One of the reasons that AC:R felt like it was going through the motions was that they made a beautiful setting but ultimately it felt like less to do. At least in II and Brotherhood, they complemented the sense of discovery with a feeling that you were making a difference to your surroundings - either by taking over neighbourhoods or actually regenerating areas.

I was hoping for French Revolution/Victorian London as the setting not because of the 'verticality' (hmm.) but because you would've had tight, busy areas. You'd have to learn your surroundings, side streets could either hide you or send you hurtling towards police/templars. You could scamper into the early beginnings of the tube network and clamber around famous architecture. Climbing Big Ben for a viewpoint would've been fantastic. Or the Eiffel Tower.

We can't even climb the Statue of Liberty :( I don't know, I enjoyed the beginning of RDR before my save file corrupted and have always wanted to go back to it but I can't help but feel that if I wanted a game like that... I'd just play RDR. Okay, a fifth game where you hold forward and A or right trigger isn't the best alternative but I looked forward to every historical setting in the AC games except this one.

I'll probably still get it but...hmm.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't forget as well, the American Revolution was all about America gaining its independence from England so it could well be that the game starts off in a realised London with the character learning about their Assassin Heritage, then they get sent over to save George Washington from being assassinated as part of a Templar part to put their own man in power, and then kick off from there.

At any rate, they have been working on it for the past three years so hopefully there should be some good info up soon