Good new horror films

squirtle

4 hours ago, yakumo said:

Dang RL Stine has a new movie Fear Street out too

So much horror coming out this week.

Mentioned this in in the Netflix thread. It's good! It feels very much like an adult Goosebumps. (I haven't read the books it's based on so have no idea if that's it's thing).

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

Mentioned this in in the Netflix thread. It's good! It feels very much like an adult Goosebumps. (I haven't read the books it's based on so have no idea if that's it's thing).

Can't wait to watch it, not a huge fan of slashers but Goosebumps was a big part of my childhood. 

Watched They Look Like People on amazon prime the other night. I think it's a love it or hate it film, and sadly I hated it. It did a great job of building tension along the way but...

Spoiler

What's the use in that if there's no payoff for it? Nothing really happened until the last fifteen minutes and then it was over without much of a conclusion.

11 hours ago, Gambit said:

I watched it last night with the other half. 

Really enjoyed it and looking forward to next week's one, but damn those Stranger Things kids are looking old, they'll be adults by the time the next season is out!!

Was really cool looking at all the things in the kids bedroom from The Beastie Boys to Guns N Roses etc. 

Got a real Scream feel to it but in a good way. 

Just finished the first Fear Street. 

Nowt wrong with that was a decent tale told well. 

And had a bit of gore at the end that I thought. There's no way we are seeing that happen. 

Nope I'm wrong.  We are.

Fair play cos that fulci levels of gore. I'm in for next week. 

Thought Fear Street was okay. I did like the Scream vibe but the '90s nostalgia was too much at times. If you take away the '90s stuff I don't think we're left with anything particularly interesting really. Still, I'll look forward to the next ones. 

Watched They Look Like People as well tonight (thanks for mentioning it @Papaya Dance, had never heard of it before) and really enjoyed it. It's very much my kind of film though, lots of dialogue and doesn't rely too much on action. Love those kinds of psychological films though, like The Block Island Sound, Take Shelter, and such. I recommend it if you like that kind of thing. 

10 hours ago, CGB said:

Thought Fear Street was okay. I did like the Scream vibe but the '90s nostalgia was too much at times. If you take away the '90s stuff I don't think we're left with anything particularly interesting really. Still, I'll look forward to the next ones. 

Watched They Look Like People as well tonight (thanks for mentioning it @Papaya Dance, had never heard of it before) and really enjoyed it. It's very much my kind of film though, lots of dialogue and doesn't rely too much on action. Love those kinds of psychological films though, like The Block Island Sound, Take Shelter, and such. I recommend it if you like that kind of thing. 

Glad you enjoyed it! I could appreciate it's probably a 'good' film, but wasn't for me sadly. Far from the worst 90 minutes of my life though, I don't regret watching it.

On 27/06/2021 at 23:35, squirtle said:

It's not new, but I watched From Beyond last night. What an amazing horror film. 

From Beyond is for me notable but was never one of my favourites, I recall it being one of the more gory horrors at the time watching it when I was around 15 or so.  Fast forward three decades and I re-watched it a few days ago and whilst it still seems to tick most of my boxes for some reason I still have a certain dislike for it.  The nudity scenes with horror goddess Barbara Crampton bought back a lot of memories from watching this as a teenager, although its probably best to not go there :)

Talking of Barbara Crampton, I was looking at her filmography on IMDB and realised I have never seen Castle Freak before.   I think that may be next on my list.

I was looking at my letterboxd profile just now, and so far this year I have watched 171 films, of which 146 are defined as horror.   Whilst there is a steady flow of new releases, I am doing my best to mix it up with re-watching older films.  To me I find some level of enjoyment from even the most mediocre horror movies (barring a select few).

I am surprised there has been no talk of Gaia since my last post, I was expecting you guys to be all over that!

4 minutes ago, marcus said:

I am surprised there has been no talk of Gaia since my last post, I was expecting you guys to be all over that!

Is it available anywhere legit? 

44 minutes ago, marcus said:

Visually, it was great. Sound editing was great. By the 3rd act I was just waiting for it to end though.

Also have to say thank you too for whoever recommended me Fulchi's film years back

I really enjoyed Kindred, not overtly a horror film as such but the tenseness and uncomfortableness builds watching a pregnant woman seemingly held captive.  The performances across the board are superb, none more so than Fiona Shaw who is just wonderful.  I didnt plan on watching the whole film last night but once it got going it was impossible to pull away from.

Fear Street was OK, it did lead me to watch the Final Girls, which is a fun meta horror comedy with a good cast (Adam Devine, Tom Middleditch, a guy from Vikings and the Tobias's daughter from Arrested Development).

Then I watched Scream again, which is an excellent slasher movie.

49 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Then I watched Scream again, which is an excellent slasher movie.

It’s so good. 25 years old now too. It’s older than any of the movies it was referencing at the time.

Fear Street 1994 wasn't really my sort of thing. I thought it was dull, pedestrian, lacked any sort of tension or meaningful character work, and at least half an hour too long. But I do like the conceit of the trilogy, so I'll probably watch at least the next one.

I gave up on Gaia i thought it was really boring early on and turned it off. 

I'll have to give Final Girls a shot as that's the second time I've seen in mentioned in the last month. 

I watched A Quiet Place 2 at the weekend with the other half and i enjoyed it, she jumped half a dozen times, which always adds to the fun for me. Shame were getting a spinoff and nothing more than I would have liked to see a bit more about "the people not worth saving". 

Fear Street is a bit marmite as my mother who loved Scream and the like, found Fear Street really dull. 

I'm looking forward to this week's one!

On 05/07/2021 at 07:11, marcus said:

I really enjoyed Kindred, not overtly a horror film as such but the tenseness and uncomfortableness builds watching a pregnant woman seemingly held captive.  The performances across the board are superb, none more so than Fiona Shaw who is just wonderful.  I didnt plan on watching the whole film last night but once it got going it was impossible to pull away 

The 1980s film has a threatening presence, all Hunterian preservation jars and mad English scientist vibes. Amanda Pays pre Leviathan and Rod Steiger.

On 04/07/2021 at 19:53, marcus said:

From Beyond is for me notable but was never one of my favourites, I recall it being one of the more gory horrors at the time watching it when I was around 15 or so.  Fast forward three decades and I re-watched it a few days ago and whilst it still seems to tick most of my boxes for some reason I still have a certain dislike for it.  The nudity scenes with horror goddess Barbara Crampton bought back a lot of memories from watching this as a teenager, although its probably best to not go there :)

Talking of Barbara Crampton, I was looking at her filmography on IMDB and realised I have never seen Castle Freak before.   I think that may be next on my list.

I was looking at my letterboxd profile just now, and so far this year I have watched 171 films, of which 146 are defined as horror.   Whilst there is a steady flow of new releases, I am doing my best to mix it up with re-watching older films.  To me I find some level of enjoyment from even the most mediocre horror movies (barring a select few).

There is also King of the Ants which turns out was written by Charlie Higson. 

25 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Anyone seen this? New on netflix today. Looks decent if a bit super-meta.

Going to watch that later. 

I really enjoyed the Fear Street films that have been on so far. The first twenty-five minutes of the first one were a bit tweeny, but once it got into its stride at the hospital, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought the second one was better still. Really looking forward to the the last one. 

Watched The Dark (2018) as it popped up on Prime and looked interesting. 

After a very promising opening scene where a criminal on the run heads into a patch of woods no one ought to, and bumps into the reason no one goes up there, the rest of the film I found desperately tedious. 

I just didn’t really know what the film was trying to say. It was nicely shot and everything, but it was just dull.