The Game Development Thread

Although I came in with a lot of programming experience, all these engines require some relearning and general time to understand.  It's well worth the effort, it would take years to accomplish the same things from building your own engine up from scratch.

For me the choice was simple, Unreal Engine kept falling over on my old iMac I started using but Unity worked, so I used that.  I went through one of the courses on Unity's web site https://learn.unity.com/course/create-with-code It's quite a long slog, and with the course aimed at beginners some of the stuff seemed woefully slow, but there were some real gems hidden in there that I really needed.  Like understanding the UI system, or how to be able to communicate between scriptable objects.

I hadn't heard of GoDot at the time, I've had a look and started twiddling with it - but it's just too much of a stretch to relearn all the stuff that I'd already become comfortable with in Unity.  Worth looking at if you are coming at it new, and if you want to do 2d games.  It's quite nice that the code editor is built in (as opposed to using Visual Studio or something) and it's very lightweight so will run on less powerful systems.

I'm going to get back to Broker's post in a bit, but I started the Unity tutorials and pretty much immediately bumped up against it, so I needed something super simple. Even then I'm doing a Space Invader clone in Tic-80 and I'm struggling to get my head around what needs to go where. I think I'm getting the basics of heirachy and how shit needs to be nested inside other shit but if the tutorial goes "Have a go and see if you can get it to work" my brain just shits itself and goes "Nah, man."

I haven't done any for a couple of days but I'm surprised I've stuck with it as long as I have. I'm going to get back to it when sitting in front of the PC isn't akin to having the oven door open and sticking my head in there.

I've got a three-quarter-finished Space Invader clone project (it's a project I may yet revisit one day, because it's a little different). It was actually trickier than I first thought. Normally with games you want enemies to take care of themselves - i.e you put a script on them that tells them how to behave, and let them get on with it. With Space Invaders all the enemies act as one, so you want one piece of code somewhere that takes care of all of them. Even realising this I struggled with getting the behaviour right - getting them to speed up nicely as their numbers dwindled. It was only after reading exactly how the original game worked that I managed to get it working correctly. If you want any pointers let me know.

I think it's a great idea to start on a little Space Invaders clone or just a game you know well.  I recently put together a quick Asteroids style game just for a break - which took about a day, but was interesting as the way it needed to be put together was completely different from my Sim game.  Much more instantiation and managing of objects.  I turned it into a bit of a fun thing for a podcast I'm involved in, sticking the faces of the hosts in as Asteroids and then using little sound bytes as explosion noises.

Weirdly this took about 3 weeks - 1 hour to change the code, and the remainder of the time to chase people up for a few sound samples !

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2020 at 13:34, MarkN said:

I've got a three-quarter-finished Space Invader clone project (it's a project I may yet revisit one day, because it's a little different). It was actually trickier than I first thought. Normally with games you want enemies to take care of themselves - i.e you put a script on them that tells them how to behave, and let them get on with it. With Space Invaders all the enemies act as one, so you want one piece of code somewhere that takes care of all of them. Even realising this I struggled with getting the behaviour right - getting them to speed up nicely as their numbers dwindled. It was only after reading exactly how the original game worked that I managed to get it working correctly. If you want any pointers let me know.

I made a space invaders clone a few years back. I'll see if I have it here and post a cosy video. 

• 3 weeks later...

I keep getting discouraged because I go "I CAN DO THIS!" and then it all becomes in comprehensible. I'll get back on it soon. In the meantime Humble have just put this bundle up

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/game-design-animation-packt-books?linkID=&mcID=102:5f245c2ce94ed964022d14de:ot:56c3def6733462ca8940c884:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_08_03_blenderbypackt_bookbundle&linkID=&utm_content=cta_button

• 2 months later...

The equivalent of typing out lines of BASIC from the back of a mag but I really enjoyed the process and I kind of get the logic behind it, and now I have a load of ideas of how to start something I want to make from scratch. 

Still tempted to take the plunge with Unity, to be honest, but I've got a few 2D ideas and think I'm better trying to actually make and complete something over the next six months or whatever and see if my interest remains. 

Hmm, I have tried the opening tutorials of Unity and I can see myself getting into that, but I only have a basic micro PC thing I bought for some light photo and audio editing, and it's creaking whenever I open anything. Hmm...Given this is just a a hobbyist thing for me, I think I'd better stick with GMS2 for now and see if I can make something simple from start to finish. 

Quality soundtrack @Marlew You should license it out to Activision for the next COD. :D

Re: Dev... why not commit to GMS2 and focus on getting one of your ideas formed into something. Then if you have the bug it could justify a hardware upgrade and some toe dipping into Unity?

I've been on-boarding a new colleague in work and as part of the process have had to go through all my old git repos to find things and stumbled upon all my game demos/exercises. Very tempted to try and carve out a bit of free time over the winter to work on them again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 10:45, Marlew said:

I downloaded it, too, and had a few good rounds on my tablet. I'll have a go on my phone, probably a bit easier with thumbs. Art style is really fun. 

I missed this. Thanks for that. There's an update coming soon with the Witch Shack opening up so stay tuned.