A nice cup of tea

The Game Development Thread

I recommend using an asset pack called "Customizable Grid" for materials @Broker - drop me a PM and I'll sort you out :)

On a related note, does anyone fancy doing a weekly couple of hour dev chat thing via Discord etc? I was wanting to get in on a regular thing to play about in engine and chat about what we are trying to achieve, help each other out and soundboard ideas. 

• Upvote 1

I spent last weekend learning how to use Phaser and built my first game. It's a simple little shooter type thing where you move the ship and try to avoid/blow up the bombs. I'm super pleased with it and it's actually quite fun! :D

image.thumb.png.14695354a7a097a55a9d569665a6515e.png

• Upvote 3

I've been doing some more procedural work. Mountains this time. I was messing with erosion algorithms which i love, but are just too slow to be practical really. So I am experimenting with short cut ways of making more interesting forms. This is fully procedurally generated, with a LOD system to keep the poly counts down.

mountain5.thumb.jpg.60aa9a6d1b5ba00b73ee3e825901eb3e.jpg

• Upvote 3

I've got a week off, and so decided to activate my old blog, whilst I tinker with an old prototype for my next project. It's entirely made of Unity cube placeholders so looks rubbish just now, but I'm hoping to turn that around quite quickly. The working title is Road Bastard (also placeholder, although I am warming to it). 

http://www.bearcatgames.com/Blog/?p=155

roadBastard01.jpg.7ee71b3cd0b93d6f01e154d7c745822a.jpg

• Upvote 2

If there's one thing I love about Unity, it's how easy it is to get something up and running with just primitive object placeholders. It's great for prototyping.

Despite this, I just can't leave MonoGame behind. I crave the control.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

If there's one thing I love about Unity, it's how easy it is to get something up and running with just primitive object placeholders. It's great for prototyping.

Despite this, I just can't leave MonoGame behind. I crave the control.

Yeah - Unity does make it super-easy to get stuff off the ground. I used to be all about the control (when I first learned C++ I wrote my own 3D engine (following a book), but also wrote my own 3D model format so I knew exactly what was going on). I've managed to change my head though, and I'm happier to accept working with things that I have very little knowledge of as long as they get the job done).

Your comment led me to add a paragraph to today's blog - about how the start of a project is so much easier than the end.

http://www.bearcatgames.com/Blog/?p=165

On 27/11/2018 at 22:24, MarkN said:

I've got a week off, and so decided to activate my old blog, whilst I tinker with an old prototype for my next project. It's entirely made of Unity cube placeholders so looks rubbish just now, but I'm hoping to turn that around quite quickly. The working title is Road Bastard (also placeholder, although I am warming to it). 

http://www.bearcatgames.com/Blog/?p=155

roadBastard01.jpg.7ee71b3cd0b93d6f01e154d7c745822a.jpg

Road Bastard is an awesome name. : )

• Upvote 1