Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

It's completely ridiculous.

I can accept vampires, nanobots, psychics, possession, cyborg animal women, ghosts, bee charmers, a clone army. They make sense in the MGS world, they make for a good story, they're stupid but with serious literary symbolism but mostly they're fun. The box tactic is silly, but a throwback to MGS, where it's implentation was novel and sort of played straight.

But the idea you just attach a little balloon to everything in the play area, enemies, jeeps, tankers and they just float off to your base. It's not exactly how you'd envisage an encounter in an action movie ending is it? Not exactly subtle when you're stealthing around a base. Logistically, even if the technology is based on is reality, the implementation is so videogamey and destroys all immersion in the "tactical espionage action". Plus, it stalls the gameplay every time you do it. It's annoying.

Mate.

It's always been mental. Re-playing MGS2 recently on Vita made me realise that the series as a whole doesn't make a lot of sense and is mostly comprised of dialog that is utter toss.

A balloon that carries anything you attach to it away is the least of your worries, and can't be worse than the conversations between Raiden and Rose.

Saying that, I do agree that MGS is very very close to disappearing up its own bottom, if not already on the way towards the colon.

But the idea you just attach a little balloon to everything in the play area, enemies, jeeps, tankers and they just float off to your base. It's not exactly how you'd envisage an encounter in an action movie ending is it? Not exactly subtle when you're stealthing around a base. Logistically, even if the technology is based on is reality, the implementation is so videogamey and destroys all immersion in the "tactical espionage action". Plus, it stalls the gameplay every time you do it. It's annoying.

Stealing. Stealing around a base.

Logistically, even if the technology is based on is reality, the implementation is so videogamey and destroys all immersion in the "tactical espionage action".

If you think the Fulton is too videogamey you'll hate the bosses in MGS1. And... actually basically everything else in the franchise, surely? I mean you've got a game series where - MGS3 excepted - you heal yourself by eating food, and tastier foods are better at healing bullet wounds. And even in MGS3, you can recharge your batteries with a glowing mushroom.

The Fulton doesn't bother me personally, but I can see what he means about some of the silly stuff being good and some of it game ruining. A lot of stuff in MGS4 was the worst for it. Stuff like Johnny Sasaki constantly shitting himself and also almost everything with Drebin.

Hmm, I think you've been using the Fulton wrong if you've been using it as a way of non-lethally removing soldiers. You shouldn't need to do that (and you'll run out of slots for soldiers.)

Edit - I can kind of see what you mean though. For all that MGS is videogamey, Snake's repertoire consists of symbolic versions of actual military activities; the Fulton doesn't fit that.

Ground zero spoilers

Iv just read that David hatter voice files have been found in the PC version, altough some are saying it is raiders voice from Jamais boy

'

the medic on the helicopter, some chap has made big boss invisible in the cutscenes and his face can be seen looking very snake like, he is also apparently voiced by Sutherland for some reason

Spoilers if you haven't played GZ.

• 3 weeks later...