Netflix

Marlowe

18 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Fear Street 1978 was fine, though I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to after 1994, which felt the more effective pastiche of the two (albeit more lax in its attention to period detail). Outside one or two well-staged kills, this felt like a relatively tame version of classic '70s summer camp horrors, and Sadie Sink apart, I found the characters relatively unappealing. Still very watchable, though, and I'm interested enough in the overarching story that I'll probably watch the third chapter as soon as it's available. 

I enjoyed it, the idea of doing a 3 parter has really appealed to me and I'm glad part 1 and 2 have both been enjoyable and well acted.  Usually these sort of films tend to annoy with the shit acting and people running in dumb directions away from the killer.

Looking forward to part 3, hopefully it finishes the story of nicely.

By the way, who is Ziggy? I've seen her in something and I can't think what.

3 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

I enjoyed it, the idea of doing a 3 parter has really appealed to me and I'm glad part 1 and 2 have both been enjoyable and well acted.  Usually these sort of films tend to annoy with the shit acting and people running in dumb directions away from the killer.

Looking forward to part 3, hopefully it finishes the story of nicely.

By the way, who is Ziggy? I've seen her in something and I can't think what.

Yeah, I still enjoyed it, I think I just had slightly higher hopes after the reviews pegged it as an improvement over 1994.

You've probably seen Ziggy as Max in Stranger Things. 

8 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Sounds like it might be your TV or settings.  I've just watched it and it was dark, but not overly. Infact I found it a bit more authentic in lighting than a lot of horror films that seem to be overly bright for night time scenes.

I'm thinking it might be specific types of HDR encoding, because I watched the Katla series and that looked great, both in bright and dark scenes. I've only found an issue with a few recent series like this.

5 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Yeah, I still enjoyed it, I think I just had slightly higher hopes after the reviews pegged it as an improvement over 1994.

You've probably seen Ziggy as Max in Stranger Things. 

Ah yes, Stranger Things.

I'm with you, preferred 1994 but still enjoyed this.

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm thinking it might be specific types of HDR encoding, because I watched the Katla series and that looked great, both in bright and dark scenes. I've only found an issue with a few recent series like this.

It could be. It genuinely looked fine on my TV though, unlike Loki.

Quite enjoyed Sophie: A Murder in West Cork.

Spoiler

Reminded me somewhat of The Jinx, whereby the guy who very obviously did it was the main character of the show and revelled in the attention he was receiving. Just missed an accidental mic left on confession in the toilets.

On 08/07/2021 at 10:21, dumpster said:

Enjoyed Orbiter 9.  It's a Spanish film and it's been featured in those "best sci fi movie you need to watch right now!" articles so if you Google it you'll get massively spoiler filled articles.  In fact, the thing I read that made me decide to see it was actually a massive spoiler for the main event that happens midway through.  So avoid any further spoilers and give it a go. Don't even read Netflix's description.  

It's sci fi, and a good film based on a good idea.  

Reveal hidden contents

No! Just go and watch the film!

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.  I'd never seen it via browsing, had to search for it, and for some reason Netflix had it rated at 53% match for me, despite the fact that I've watched loads of sf films on there, loads of foreign sf films, and even quite a lot of Spanish films.

Anyway, after it finished I watched the trailer, and dear god, who made that?  So to echo what Dumpter said, watch the film but don't watch the trailer beforehand.

3 hours ago, ckny said:

Quite enjoyed Sophie: A Murder in West Cork.

Hide contents

Reminded me somewhat of The Jinx, whereby the guy who very obviously did it was the main character of the show and revelled in the attention he was receiving. Just missed an accidental mic left on confession in the toilets.

If you have Sky, the documentary series Murder At The Cottage is brilliant. It’s the same case, but done by the filmmaker Jim Sheridan. It spends a lot more time with Ian Bailey, especially during the trial, which is fascinating to watch.

I'm watching it in the dark this time and I still can't see what the fuck is going on. Plus the bitrate issues of streaming really doesn't do horror any favours.

Fear Street 1666 ending:

Spoiler

It's a metaphor! With all the subtlety of a massive sledgehammer with bells and sirens going off all over it.

If anyone's looking for a police procedural that is easy to turn your brain off too, then the new SWAT series is alright.

The theme is still an absolute banger.

Just came here to recommend that, it’s one of those tidy combinations of a sharp premise, a believable personal drama that plays out in parallel, and a lean 90 minute run-time.

The Serpent

Yeah, this was good. Tahar Rahim is something special, isn't he? He just has 'it', that special charisma that means he draws your eye, even if he's just staring through huge Seventies sunglasses. The adjustment he makes to his character when the story jumps back in time really shows how much in control this guy is - not many actors can do a seven year younger version of the same character and make it beliveable and work.

Must read the true crime book it was based upon.

Watched Akira, been a long time since I last viewed it. I think I have settled on the opinion that it is up there with the most overrated movies ever. It’s just mostly boring and the ending is crap. 

The tail light glow effect on the bikes is pretty cool though. 

12 hours ago, Gambit said:

If anyone's looking for a police procedural that is easy to turn your brain off too, then the new SWAT series is alright.

The theme is still an absolute banger.

Not sure why I’ve not tried this before as it’s ridiculous nonsense. Will enjoy this, ta. 

12 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Watched Akira, been a long time since I last viewed it. I think I have settled on the opinion that it is up there with the most overrated movies ever. It’s just mostly boring and the ending is crap. 

The tail light glow effect on the bikes is pretty cool though. 

By some margin your silliest post. On that basis, you should receive some kind of forum award.

On 18/07/2021 at 14:18, Gambit said:

Crawl, a really enjoyable crocodile on the loose b movie horror is now up.

Well worth a watch. 4/5.

I can also recommend this. It achieves exactly what it sets out to do.

On 17/07/2021 at 20:44, Benny said:

The last Fear Street part. Dear God, the accents...

It's fucking terrible. I'm about to pick up my switch. They dropped the ball so much. I'm so bored.

New series of Movies that Made us drops tomorrow:

Can't say i'm that fussed to see Gump on there, but hopefully they'll have good talking heads for all of them.

Jurassic Park (1993)

Back to the Future (1985)

Pretty Woman (1990)

Forrest Gump (1994)

• gospvg changed the title to Netflix