Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Vikings is great, I probably preferred it over Last Kingdom although we did give up half way through season 6 as it was a bit dull and at went from bingeing the first 5 to having to watch 6 at it aired.

I think Outlander (all on Amazon) is better than both though even if it is set in a different time in history.

On 21/09/2020 at 20:42, glb said:

Just came into post about this.

Albeit style over substance for me. It’s not bad, it’s just a bit unnecessary.

Nurse Ratched is one of the greatest villains in film, she doesn’t need a dot-to-dot backstory. I’m just going to pretend it’s American Horror Story: Madhouse and pretend the connection to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is an unfortunate coincidence.

For me at this stage, Ryan Murphy signifies a pass without a watch. I hate his weird, not-serious/serious overdramatic melodramatic style that surrounds all his work. It's a shame, 'cos this seems like it could be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

How suitable for a 9 yr old is it?

I've not seen it yet either but there is no sex or language according to here and the violence sounds pretty slapstick on the whole but you'll know your kids better than anyone on here.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/enola-holmes

Mrs. Holmes teaches Enola martial arts and combat, which she uses on several occasions. Enola saves Lord Tewksbury from being thrown off a train, then the two teens jump off the moving train together. A man attacks Enola; they have a knock-down brawl that involves knives, explosives, Enola nearly drowning. The man returns in a climactic fight scene that involves (spoiler alert) Enola and Lord Tewksbury getting shot at and the man dying by blunt force to the head (complete with crunching noise). Scotland Yard inspector Lestrade sneaks into Enola's room; she hits him over the head with a teapot, but he still catches her. Mycroft makes Enola cry by shouting at her and taking all her money. School director slaps Enola across the cheek, keeps her in a locked room. Arguments.

26 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Haven't seen it myself yet, but its a 12. These Parent Guide notes on IMDB on things that occurs for the rating may help.

Usually I check the BBFC which explain why each film got a certain rating, but weirdly this one isn't on there.

HTH

BBFC just gave up on rating Netflix stuff, they let Netflix do it themselves now. I'm imagining some frustrated apparatchik throwing up his hands and saying "what you actually expect us to watch all that?"

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/about-bbfc/media-centre/bbfc-and-netflix-announce-new-age-ratings-partnership-parents-demand-greater

Fair enough I guess, but Netflix are a bit shit at it. They rated White Lines 15, and it's chock full of explicit violence, suicide, drug use, orgies, basically a full house of stuff that's supposed to make an 18. So yeah, always use those parents guides. They can be almost ridiculously prim as they are often of an Evangelical bent, but they are thorough.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

For me at this stage, Ryan Murphy signifies a pass without a watch. I hate his weird, not-serious/serious overdramatic melodramatic style that surrounds all his work. It's a shame, 'cos this seems like it could be a good idea.

By ep three it's on the skids, by ep six it's flaming wreckage. But why am I watching?, you may quite rightly ask. Basically the better half is at work all day and just wants to unwind when she gets on the sofa so I sit there besides her playing miniclip pool biting my tongue at how utterly trash the series is.

She fell asleep last night so I whacked American Barbecue Showdown on and plotted saving up for an offset smoker.

2 hours ago, glb said:

By ep three it's on the skids, by ep six it's flaming wreckage. But why am I watching?

Yep, it steadily declines. At no point does it never feel that you are watching the same character as the original, or that they even exist in the same world. 

But, at the start it did seem to have the makings of a nice Hitchcockian thriller, with lavish costume and sets and some suitably dark scenes.

Then it descends to a bit of a mess, with hacky writing, lazy social commentary and odd character motivations.

I've got a couple of eps, that I might stick on in the back round. It's a shame because I do think there is a good show in there somewhere.

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

His trashy style really worked well for the Versace series of American Crime Story but that had the good fortune to be built around a surprisingly strong performance from Darren Criss. I made it about two episodes into Ratched before I gave up. It could've been a really interesting slow burn in the right hands but in his it's campy villainy from the first episode.

On 17/09/2020 at 13:02, multi said:

Challenger : The Final Flight

About the tragic launch of the Challenger Space Shuttle in 1986.

Watched all 4 of these last night and it was excellent.

Has interviews with all the main players involved and the families of the 7 crew who lost their lives. A lot of it goes into telling the stories of the crew and how they came to be chosen for the mission and theres also a focus on problems with the solid fuel boosters and about who knew about those problems and what the did or didn't do about it.

Reveal hidden contents

NASA do not come out of it very well.

Some of the footage is stunning and the music/score was great. 

I wish there were more than just 4 parts to it. 

I don't know if it's just me being older and more emotional but I'm finding this series harrowing. The crew all seemed like really nice and mutually supportive people following a dream, only to be killed by NASA's negligence. It's tremendously difficult to watch Christa McAuliffe being moved to tears after being selected and knowing that it all ends with her avoidable death.

3 hours ago, DC said:

Chef vol 4 is up. I love this show.

Just started volume 1 yesterday and really enjoying it.  So relaxed. I often hate this sort of character led stuff but enjoy the people in this a lot (although I skipped the Paltrow episode because Goop)

16 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I don't know if it's just me being older and more emotional but I'm finding this series harrowing. The crew all seemed like really nice and mutually supportive people following a dream, only to be killed by NASA's negligence. It's tremendously difficult to watch Christa McAuliffe being moved to tears after being selected and knowing that it all ends with her avoidable death.

Haven't watched it yet (will do soon), but I'd like to think anyone interested in being an astronaut goes in eyes wide open about the risks involved. But they accept those risks because the rewards to humanity on the whole are massive

That's not said to excuse mistakes that were made, but to try and put into perspective the risks vs rewards. It's been incredibly disappointing that accidents like this cripple the space programme, mainly because of the (understandable) reaction from the public

If these people had died in a bus crash we'd never have heard about them. It's the very fact that they risked their lives on a heroic mission to benefit humanity that makes it so ironic that we view accidents in the space programme as 'too expensive a price to pay'.

I imagine that's the way the series is angled, which is one of the reasons I've been reluctant to watch it. But I'll give it a go.

Binge watched all of Away over the last couple of days - I found it frustrating because somewhere in there is a really good idea, but far too often it's botched with ridiculous soap-esque plot lines and hammy acting.

The science-y spacey bits are great, particularly in episode 2 and the very end of the season.  I think if they could have shown more of this, it would have been infinitely better.

My biggest gripe is that whoever was in charge of choosing the 5 astronauts is the NASA equivalent of Mike Ashley appointing Alan Pardew on a 10 year contract.

Spoiler

So - 5 astronauts, and 5 people with 'complicated pasts'.  Great choice.  They're supposed to have trained together for 2 years, but seem to be complete strangers to one another from the word go.  The Russian cosmonaut cheats an eye test by MEMORISING THE LETTERS on the chart :lol: (I very much doubt that's the sole test they undertake to ascertain their physical attributes......) and they all become emotional wrecks at the most inopportune moments.  You'd have better odds just choosing 5 randoms down your local pub

I hope they make a 2nd series because like I say, there's something there which could be really good - I appreciate it's supposed to be from the emotional viewpoint of the astronauts and those closest to them, but the cliches and stereotypes let this down so badly.

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

And if they're ever looking for a Young Leia for Star Wars....

I'd rather see her in Star Trek as a young Deanna Troi, not that there's any chance of that.

I really enjoyed Enola Holmes, and hope they do at least another. Loved the fourth wall breaks. :)

On 23/09/2020 at 22:32, Kzo said:

Just finished The Last Kingdom, which I really enjoyed. Got the horn for vikings now, is the Vikings series on Amazon any good?

Have you tried Norsemen?  Viking comedy, made by Norwegians, starring Norwegians, in Norway, but all scripted in English and with a very sardonic, Office-like sense of humour.  It's really funny and well worth your time.

My other half watched all of Wretched - oh sorry, Ratchet.  I found it to be absolute garbage from start to finish.  As someone who has long-held the rule of Murphy to be 'starts well - goes to shit very soon after', even I was surprised to see how awful this was.  One to avoid.

18 hours ago, Wizcat said:

Haven't watched it yet (will do soon), but I'd like to think anyone interested in being an astronaut goes in eyes wide open about the risks involved. But they accept those risks because the rewards to humanity on the whole are massive

That's not said to excuse mistakes that were made, but to try and put into perspective the risks vs rewards. It's been incredibly disappointing that accidents like this cripple the space programme, mainly because of the (understandable) reaction from the public

If these people had died in a bus crash we'd never have heard about them. It's the very fact that they risked their lives on a heroic mission to benefit humanity that makes it so ironic that we view accidents in the space programme as 'too expensive a price to pay'.

I imagine that's the way the series is angled, which is one of the reasons I've been reluctant to watch it. But I'll give it a go.

No, you should watch it - disclaimer, I haven't yet but I know plenty about the Shuttle and the Challenger accident.  I can also recommend a marvellously entertaining book called "Riding Rockets" by Mike Mullane, who was one of the astronaut corp at the time.  He doesn't hold back.

To answer your point about risk

Spoiler

Basically NASA lost two Shuttles by placing politics over acceptable risk.  Literally a million things had to go right to launch a Shuttle, it was stupidly complex. You are right that there is a high level of risk in launching a rocket but the faults that doomed Challenger and Columbia were known and because they had got away with it beforehand - O-ring blowby had happened before - NASA decided that it was acceptable.  The NASA managers were looking to please Washington to keep budgets going - STS launches had become routine so "stunts" like putting a teacher in space were about keeping the program in the public eye (Mullane goes into the resentments that this caused with astronauts who were waiting their turn).

NASA management did the equivalent of going too fast around a corner and because they didn't hit anything coming the other way, decided that it was OK to go around the corner that quickly next time.

The challenger thing was interesting because of the angle it took, it was very personal. As such they chose to leave out quite a lot of the footage of the actual incident and I think all of the known details of the crew’s death, as well as having very little technical information about the incident. I think that was a good choice, as it took a direction that I’ve not seen explored before and the details that weren’t included are generally either quite dry and technical or genuinely horrifying. 

On 21/09/2020 at 15:28, Gambit said:

The first Karate Kid (the only one really you need to watch) is also on Netflix. Watch that then jump into Cobra Kai (it's great).

Hah, yes, it’s good, cheesy fun of the sort I haven’t seen for quite a while.

The Karate Kid I found surprisingly decent for an ‘80s teen film.

On 24/09/2020 at 22:09, thesnwmn said:

Just started volume 1 yesterday and really enjoying it.  So relaxed. I often hate this sort of character led stuff but enjoy the people in this a lot (although I skipped the Paltrow episode because Goop)

Move just started watching as well. Go back to the Paltrow episode as she is only in the first bit (which is where the face she didn’t realise she was in Spider-Man comes from).

The rest is Bill Burr and them making stuff from Chef (the film).

11 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Move just started watching as well. Go back to the Paltrow episode as she is only in the first bit (which is where the face she didn’t realise she was in Spider-Man comes from).

The rest is Bill Burr and them making stuff from Chef (the film).

I finished with that episode in the end. She was a little annoying and the fact that she didn’t know what movies she was in didn’t warm me to her at all. But it was actually the perfect final episode as it had them failing at beignets which I’d seen them redo in another episode.

The whole thing is delightful.

Only one episode annoyed me enough to stop watching and that was Sam Remi making bread. He is not an engaging and relaxed person to watch, he brought nothing to the cast and just far too stilted. But the real problem was I didn’t really feel he was there to learn and delight in the food. That’s not a problem in itself but I don’t feel like he was really watching or trying to learn when shaping. So I gave up on that episode.

And Netflix’s UI for selecting episodes makes it a nightmare to watch anything in the correct order.

Otherwise, easily one of the best food shows I’ve watched.