Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Finished up She's Gotta Have It last week. Really enjoyed it. There were a couple of sub-plots that should have been dropped but the whole thing had such energy and life. 

This isn't a Netflix show but I watched Search Party over the weekend. It's about a group of gormless New York millennials who try to track down a missing friend. They don't really know the girl who went missing but their own lives are so empty they become totally obsessed with this case. Alia Shawcat from Arrested Development stars. It's hard to describe this but imagine The OC written by Paul Auster. It's constantly surprising and twisty and clever. Recommended for sure.

On 11/12/2017 at 16:12, Sartre84 said:

In watching The Confession Tapes at the moment. Another excellent Netflix Original True Crime Documentary about police obtaining confessions to murders by highly questionable and downright unethical methods. The first story( a double episode) is particularly shocking and leaves you questioning everything. Its almost like watching something play out in a movie.

Just watched the first two episodes. Typical example of police tunnel vision. I wanted to slap that idiot judge at the end. So frustrating.

I'm gonna check out Manhunt starring Sam Worthington . Its about the real life story of the hunt for the Unabomber.  I only found out about the Unabomber story recently. I always thought that he was the same person as The Oklahoma Bomber Timothy McVeigh but they are totally unrelated people. I think that they were active around the same time.

On 12/13/2017 at 14:20, Sartre84 said:

I'm gonna check out Manhunt starring Sam Worthington . Its about the real life story of the hunt for the Unabomber.  I only found out about the Unabomber story recently. I always thought that he was the same person as The Oklahoma Bomber Timothy McVeigh but they are totally unrelated people. I think that they were active around the same time.

I watched the first 2 episodes of this last night.  Very good, was too tired to carry on watching but can't wait to continue.   Similar themes to Mindhunter but very different in style.

16 hours ago, Gambit said:

Yeah Triangle is great.

What is supposed to be one of the worst films of last year Gods of Egypt has been added so naturally I’m watching it and will probably report back unless my brain melts.

Alex Proyas is a madman.

One scene has bloke from Game of Thrones fly into space where it’s revealed the earth is flat (flat earthers favourite movie this must be). He then lands on a space platform where Geoffrey Rush appears and then proceeds to have a fight with a giant smoky space whale...or something.

Watch when drunk. 10/10

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-toys-that-made-us-trailer/

Focusing on the biggest toy brands that have become staples of pop culture, The Toys That Made Us speaks to collectors, historians and more about all of the play things that went from being objects that kept kids busy so adults could have some semblance of sanity to full-fledged collectors items.

It’s no coincidence that the toys which have remained popular over the decades are constantly looked to for film franchises, especially after Star Wars changed the merchandising game forever. The toys that permeate pop culture often do so in a variety of ways, going from shelves to TV screens to books to movie theaters, though not always in the same order.

Hearing the perspective of collectors, such as Star Wars superfan Steve Sansweet, should help this series be more than just an audio visual Wikipedia article brought to life. These people add a personal touch to the toys that we love, and many of them feel the exact same way we do about the toys we grew up with. Collectors just take that love to a whole new level.

In the meantime, we’ll settle for this dive into our childhoods when The Toys That Made Us debuts all eight of its episodes on Netflix this week on December 22, 2017.

On 13/12/2017 at 14:20, Sartre84 said:

I think Netflix is getting a bit confusing with its offerings overlapping, I assumed this was a doc from its tile on the screen as they wouldn't bring out another profiling show with such  similar name to Mindhunter.

Anyway gave it a crack last night and binged 4 eps (out of 8) in one go - I think its much better than Mindhunter, the time jumping they are doing was initially  a little confusing but seems to work once you settle into who is who as seems to keep a parallel degree of tension going in what is the same story.

On 04/12/2017 at 15:40, Fierce Poodle said:

Just wanted to recommend the Voyeur - super creepy documentary about a guy who buys a motel in order to spy on people through a vent system in the roof. One of the strangest and most gripping stories I’ve ever encountered. 

This was an excellent documentary so thanks for the heads up as I'd likely not have been aware of it otherwise.

Highly recommended.

Yeah I liked manhunt but didn't love Worthington whilst I thought Paul Bettany was excellent. Preferred mindhunter personally but would definitely recommend both. 

Loving the crime stuff in general... Any others worth watching? 

some home-while-getting-fat watches;

- 6 days - aka the iranian embassy siege movie. not bad and with some good performances, particularly that of mark strong.

- jim and andy - aka the jim carrey method acting meets depression documentary. quality! a nice surprise.

- Looper (again) - aka that movie from the time when rian johnson could write a story.

Bushwick has just been added. Basically, a New York borough has been invaded by a right wing militia. Stars Dave Bautista as an ex-marine caught up in the chaos, along with Brittany Snow who's fresh off the train and kind of teams up with him. Shot in long takes which are then merged together using camera/digital trickery to give the appearance of one huge long take. Really cool soundtrack as well.

I've got so much to watch - Godless and Ozark being two that I've yet to start watching. I've added Bushwick to my list.

The Road is a great story - I'd urge everyone to read the book first and then guess which parts they left out of the film (sadly, all the most brutal and disturbing bits). It's still a good film in its own right and makes The Walking Dead seem like Hi-De-Hi.

With my kids being off school, I can't really watch anything but 12 certs and below. I watched Daddy's Home yesterday with them and they laughed a lot - it's a good family film if you've not seen it and there's some good slapstick moments.

Power Rangers is a surprisingly enjoyable update of a childhood favourite of mine. The complete opposite of the Bay trash (Transformers, TMNT). Watch it. :) 

Oh, and Friends is also on there now. But I'm more of a Frasier guy.