Marlowe

Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

Not strictly related unless you class it under the 'releases' part of the thread title, and stretch that word's definition - 

I just got a second 'spam' e-mail from Netflix today - one hour and eleven minutes after the first! Nice database comms strategy, Netflix...

Oh, just finished Sex Education - really liked it in the end.

Sure the setting is this fake UK/US mashup etc., but the world really drew me in. And yes it's super try-hard and right-on, but the characters have good & engaging arcs.

Gorgeous looking show too, especially in Dolby Vision.

IO is not very good. But it does have hawkman from Avengers and ghost serial axe murderer jazz man from American Horror Story: Coven in it. Neither presence is enough to save it.

Actually, nearly all of AHS is on there bar the latest season (which was pretty good and an extension of Coven). Worth a look as long as you're selective about the seasons.

Watched Hold the Dark last night. Great film. Bleak (but not as bad as I was expecting) but very engaging and flowed really well. I love the whole bleak frozen North American wasteland setting, very reminiscent of Wind River and the sorts of landscapes so amazingly captured in The Revenant.

On 21/01/2019 at 12:31, Bazjam said:

Just started watching Bad Guys: Vile City. It's a Korean crime drama series with lots of violence, so right up my street. Only one episode in but very promising so far.

Have you seen any more? I’m going to save it for the weekends, but I watched the trailer last night and it looks kerbrilliant.

Can’t stop saying the title in my head. It’s so cool, it’s like something out of Moebius or Love & Rockets.

• Upvote 1

Watched the first two episodes and love it so far. Surprised more people aren't talking about it. Definitely has that Beat Takeshi/ early John Woo vibe. And seemingly quite high budget.

This very brief teaser gives an idea of what to expect.

On 21/01/2019 at 18:48, Tiny said:

Check out "Abducted in Plain Sight"

This is great documentary if you enjoy shouting "you did what?!" at the TV. 

I watched this last week and it's ridiculous. I tried to explain some of the events that happened to some friends and they genuinely thought I was taking the piss. I think your description is perfect - there were 3 points in the documentary where I questioned whether this was just some elaborate wind-up. I actually think it's a poorly made documentary but the events are captivating enough to keep you engaged.

Spoiler

- letting B share their daughter's bed

- the tape recorder messages

- dad's car journey

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Koreans fucking love hitting each other with bats in hallways 

So far that’s accounted for about 20 minutes of each episode.

On my Netflix phone app, there is a 'coming soon' category that I haven't got on my larger screen Netflix apps (Xbox and smart TV). Does anyone have this available on their TV/console?

It's quite useful, and it looks like there might be some decent stuff coming in the next week or so (along with some shite as well)

These few look like they might be worth a look:

Nightflyers - S1 1st Feb

Sci-fi from George RR Martin.

Conversations with a killer - the Ted Bundy Tapes S1 - 24th Jan.

Polar - 25th Jan

Based on the graphic novel (that I've never heard of). With Mads Mikkelsen.

Velvet Buzzsaw - 1st Feb

Jake Gyllenhaal thriller/horror thing.

Animas - 25th Jan

Spanish psychological horror.

Loads of other stuff as well, but those few are the ones that I'm most interested in. 

• Upvote 3